February/March 2017 VT: Any VP from Fladgate

This forum is designed to help facilitate virtual tastings.

Moderators: Glenn E., Roy Hersh, Andy Velebil

Scheiny S

Re: February/March 2017 VT: Any VP from Fladgate

Post by Scheiny S »

Fonseca 2011 Vintage Port 375ml bottle. Bottled in 2013. Tasted 4/8/17. Decanted 6 hours.
Maroon with brick red rim.
It smelled of cocoa and dark berries, and something cooling like mint or eucalyptus. The nose lasted a long time.
Medium bodied with medium acidity and lots of tannin. The sweetness hits early, simple sugar, but was not overpowering and faded gracefully as other flavors became apparent. It was fruity but equally... the opposite of fruity, earthy? Flavors like tobacco and spice. It's so well balanced I couldn't pick out individual flavors. It's a seamlessly cohesive and entirely delicious whole.
The finish was long and chocolately.

Having tasted this next to BIN 27 I think I recognise similarities, though this 2011 is much better. I definitely like Fonseca's style though I can't define what that is.

It's hard for me to rate because this is one of the first really good Ports I've ever had. I'm definitely a fan of VPs, now!
Andy Velebil
Location: Los Angeles, California, United States of America - USA

Re: February/March 2017 VT: Any VP from Fladgate

Post by Andy Velebil »

Scheiny S wrote:Fonseca 2011 Vintage Port 375ml bottle. Bottled in 2013. Tasted 4/8/17. Decanted 6 hours.
Maroon with brick red rim.
It smelled of cocoa and dark berries, and something cooling like mint or eucalyptus. The nose lasted a long time.
Medium bodied with medium acidity and lots of tannin. The sweetness hits early, simple sugar, but was not overpowering and faded gracefully as other flavors became apparent. It was fruity but equally... the opposite of fruity, earthy? Flavors like tobacco and spice. It's so well balanced I couldn't pick out individual flavors. It's a seamlessly cohesive and entirely delicious whole.
The finish was long and chocolately.

Having tasted this next to BIN 27 I think I recognise similarities, though this 2011 is much better. I definitely like Fonseca's style though I can't define what that is.

It's hard for me to rate because this is one of the first really good Ports I've ever had. I'm definitely a fan of VPs, now!
This is a rock star of a VP and I'm glad you were able to experience it. This is what a great young VP is all about...
Andy Velebil Good wine is a good familiar creature if it be well used. William Shakespeare http://www.fortheloveofport.com