April/May 2017 VT: Any VP from SFE

This forum is designed to help facilitate virtual tastings.

Moderators: Glenn E., Roy Hersh, Andy Velebil

Eric Menchen

April/May 2017 VT: Any VP from SFE

Post by Eric Menchen »

O.k., I'll kick this off. The theme may not be that original, but builds on what we did for the last virtual tasting, and should be open enough so as to not be too difficult. For this tasting, open a VP from Symington Family Estates, which includes:
  • Graham
  • Dow
  • Warre
  • Quinta do Vesuvio
  • Smith Woodhouse
  • Martinez
  • Gould Campbell
  • Quarles Harris
  • Cockburn
... and possibly something I've missed. SQVPs and what have you are also allowed. I know there are some BOB labels they've made, so I guess those can work too.
Thomas V

Re: April/May 2017 VT: Any VP from SFE

Post by Thomas V »

Very cool.

I will definitely go for a Vesuvio, as I need to soothe my urge to taste one. Have been more than 6 months since I last had tasted one. Now to decide which vintage to crack open.
Andy Velebil
Location: Los Angeles, California, United States of America - USA

Post by Andy Velebil »

Just got back from Trader Joe's and picked up a 10 year Quarles Harris for it.
Andy Velebil Good wine is a good familiar creature if it be well used. William Shakespeare http://www.fortheloveofport.com
Andy Velebil

10 Year Old Tawny Port by Quarles Harris

Post by Andy Velebil »

10 Year Old Tawny Port by Quarles Harris. Bottled in 2016. Bought for $15 at my local Trader Joe's market.

The color is a brownish-ruby. A sweet confected nose of brown sugar, dates, and molasses. On the palate it's semi-sweet and lacking complexity. Basically just some strawberries and some protuding heat. It picks up on the finish a bit with some acidity that tempers the sweetness. But as with the palate, the finish lacks complexity. No obvious faults, just what one would expect for a rather inexpensive 10 year old tawny.

83 Points
Andy Velebil Good wine is a good familiar creature if it be well used. William Shakespeare http://www.fortheloveofport.com
Thomas V

Post by Thomas V »

Eric Menchen wrote:For this tasting, open a VP from Symington Family Estates.....
Andy Velebil wrote:Just got back from Trader Joe's and picked up a 10 year Quarles Harris for it.
[friends.gif]
Andy Velebil

Post by Andy Velebil »

Thomas V wrote:
Eric Menchen wrote:For this tasting, open a VP from Symington Family Estates.....
Andy Velebil wrote:Just got back from Trader Joe's and picked up a 10 year Quarles Harris for it.
[friends.gif]
So I can't read :oops: [rotfl.gif]
Eric Menchen

Post by Eric Menchen »

Andy Velebil wrote:So I can't read :oops: [rotfl.gif]
And now you must find something else to open. [berserker.gif]
Andy Velebil

Post by Andy Velebil »

Eric Menchen wrote:
Andy Velebil wrote:So I can't read :oops: [rotfl.gif]
And now you must find something else to open. [berserker.gif]
Perhaps that was my plan all along [foilhat.gif]
Glenn E.
Location: Sammamish, Washington, United States of America - USA

Post by Glenn E. »

I think I'm going to open something that qualifies for BOTH of the proposed themes... probably a 1977 Graham. Need to check supply, though... not sure what I have available! LOL
Glenn Elliott
Thomas V

Post by Thomas V »

Glenn E. wrote:I think I'm going to open something that qualifies for BOTH of the proposed themes... probably a 1977 Graham. Need to check supply, though... not sure what I have available! LOL
I vote that you open one of your 2011 Vesuvio and tell us all how good it is [notworthy.gif] When was the last time you drank a young VP?
Glenn E.

Post by Glenn E. »

Thomas V wrote:
Glenn E. wrote:I think I'm going to open something that qualifies for BOTH of the proposed themes... probably a 1977 Graham. Need to check supply, though... not sure what I have available! LOL
I vote that you open one of your 2011 Vesuvio and tell us all how good it is [notworthy.gif] When was the last time you drank a young VP?
Umm... I had a glass last night? 2014 young enough for you? :lol:

Sadly, I only have the one 6-pack of 2011 Vesuvio, so that needs to stay safely in the cellar until about 2041. I usually try to buy an extra bottle or two (7-8 total instead of just the 6-pack) so that I have a couple to try over the years, but didn't do that with 2011 because I was so busy hunting down and buying every Graham's Stone Terraces that I could find. [help.gif]
Glenn Elliott
Bradley Bogdan

Post by Bradley Bogdan »

Glenn E. wrote:
Thomas V wrote:
Umm... I had a glass last night? 2014 young enough for you? :lol:

Sadly, I only have the one 6-pack of 2011 Vesuvio, so that needs to stay safely in the cellar until about 2041. I usually try to buy an extra bottle or two (7-8 total instead of just the 6-pack) so that I have a couple to try over the years, but didn't do that with 2011 because I was so busy hunting down and buying every Graham's Stone Terraces that I could find. [help.gif]
Is that the polite term for cornering the market Image?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
-Brad

Luc Gauthier

Post by Luc Gauthier »

Don't think there's ever been 10 yr old tawny QH up here in Québec.

Sent from my SM-G530W using Tapatalk
Vintage avant jeunesse/or the other way around . . .
Eric Menchen

Post by Eric Menchen »

So last night I saw a container of blackberries in my fridge that I had purchased a while ago and realized I needed to work on this, and the virtual tasting. I mashed a bunch of the blackberries with a dash of cinnamon, a dash of cayenne, and 1/4 teaspoon cocoa. On its own, I thought this was too much cocoa, but served over lemon sorbet along with 1997 Smith Woodhouse, it all worked out just fine. I have enough of the topping for another serving tonight, and will add my TN after that.
IMG_20170408_small.jpg
IMG_20170408_small.jpg (140.11 KiB) Viewed 6406 times
Eric Menchen

Post by Eric Menchen »

I'll need to turn this into a TN:

1997 Smith Woodhouse VP

375ml bottle decanted at 20:15. First pour at 21:25 gives aromas of dark berry with a hint of fig. There is a little alcohol warmth, and possibly some VA. Behind that, a little strawberry and orange. More fig aroma after that. Really juicy on the mouth with nice tangy acid and integrated alcohol that really shows itself in the finish. I can get some tannins with effort, but they are pretty subdued. I was worried that the alcohol finish might be too much, but it settled down.

On day two, lots of juicy fruit. Not overly complex, and I do think this has some VA, more so than yesterday. Still enjoyable, but not outstanding. 91 points yesterday, 89 points today.

I'll try to open something else for the virtual tasting, probably a Warres, 1994, possibly 1977.

Sent from my XT1060 using Tapatalk
Glenn E.

Post by Glenn E. »

1977 Graham it is! Decanted at 10:30. The quality control sample shows no sign of VA (an oft-mentioned complaint about this Port), but it does need some air. Ripe strawberry and red raspberry on the nose along with a bit of alcohol. There's an abundance of soft, ripe fruit on the palate, but at the moment it also has a tightness about it that should loosen up in the decanter. I also note a slight harshness in the mid and late palate which will hopefully integrate. Very lush mouth feel at this point.
Glenn Elliott
Scheiny S

Post by Scheiny S »

Eric Menchen wrote:I know there are some BOB labels they've made, so I guess those can work too.
what is a BOB?
Eric Menchen wrote:There is a little alcohol warmth, and possibly some VA.
what is VA?
Andy Velebil

Post by Andy Velebil »

Scheiny S wrote:
Eric Menchen wrote:I know there are some BOB labels they've made, so I guess those can work too.
what is a BOB?
what is VA?
BOB is Buyers own Brand. So say Taylor's made a Port for "Market A" and they sold it under the label "market A Vintage Port", that would be a BOB

VA = Volatile Acidity.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Glenn E.

Post by Glenn E. »

Andy Velebil wrote:
Scheiny S wrote:
what is a BOB?
what is VA?
BOB is Buyers own Brand. So say Taylor's made a Port for "Market A" and they sold it under the label "market A Vintage Port", that would be a BOB

VA = Volatile Acidity.
For example, Quarles Harris is now effectively a BOB for Trader Joe's in the United States. It's made by the Symington Family Estates and used to be a stand-alone brand. SFE intended to retire the brand (as they're now also doing with Gould Campbell and Smith Woodhouse), but Trader Joe's asked if they could keep producing it for them and they said yes. A couple of British grocery chains also have BOBs of Port.

VA often smells like nail polish remover, but comes in several flavors. Some people are very sensitive to it and, for them, it very much ruins a wine. It doesn't really bother me unless it is pretty strong, which I've thankfully only encountered a couple of times. (I just so happens that 3 of those were at the same tasting... the 1994 Horizontal where all of the Niepoort-bottled Ports were riddled with VA.)
Glenn Elliott
Glenn E.

Post by Glenn E. »

Glenn E. wrote:
1977 Graham it is! Decanted at 10:30. The quality control sample shows no sign of VA (an oft-mentioned complaint about this Port), but it does need some air. Ripe strawberry and red raspberry on the nose along with a bit of alcohol. There's an abundance of soft, ripe fruit on the palate, but at the moment it also has a tightness about it that should loosen up in the decanter. I also note a slight harshness in the mid and late palate which will hopefully integrate. Very lush mouth feel at this point.
Link to my TN on the 1977 Graham.
Glenn Elliott