VT April 2010 : Your favourite discovery over last year

This forum is designed to help facilitate virtual tastings.

Moderators: Glenn E., Roy Hersh, Andy Velebil

Frederick Blais

VT April 2010 : Your favourite discovery over last year

Post by Frederick Blais »

There are so many new comers in the Port market. In this April VT, share with us a bottle of Port wine, Douro wine that did impress you for their new product, quality that did step up or simply a discovery.
Living the dream and now working for a Port company
Frederick Blais

Re: VT April 2010 : Your favourite discovery over last year

Post by Frederick Blais »

Along with Conceito dry wines that I discovered over the last year, Quinta do Portal is probably one the Quinta I found has increase its quality the most, especially since the 2005 releases in Douro wines.

Today I've opened the reserva 2007 :A blend of Touriga Nacional(40%), Tinta Roriz(40%) and touriga Franca(20%) It has a delicate floral bouquet with notes of ripe plums and esteva. The palate is sharp, good acidity from the start to the end, finely grained tannins and attractive cranberries, sour cherries flavours on the palate leading to the zesty esteva finish. Already enjoyable on a piece of lamb, it should give more pleasure in 2-3 years. 16/20 Great value for under 30$can
Living the dream and now working for a Port company
Roy Hersh
Site Admin

Post by Roy Hersh »

A fun theme and if people don't support your efforts by taking the time to put in a TN, I would not blame you for not even bothering to do a theme in May. I am currently not drinking wine or I'd put a note here today. I shall dig one up from my notebook though from a recent time, even if not this month.
Ambition driven by passion, rather than money, is as strong an elixir as is Port. http://www.fortheloveofport.com
Lamont Huxley

Post by Lamont Huxley »

I really enjoy the concept of VT's, so I figured I'd try to jumpstart this one. Up until several months ago when I saw the 1964 Krohn White Colheita for sale online, I didn't even know that white colheita existed as a style of port. After reading some folk's gushing notes about the Dalva '52 on FTLOP and seeing that many thought the Krohn '64 didn't quite stack up, I was a little nervous that I'd be disappointed, but luckily it turned out to be a fantastic bottle of port and a very welcome introduction to this obscure style.

1964 Krohn White Colheita
Bottled in 2008

Light golden amber with bright orange highlights. This wine is really singing with aromas of golden raisins, meringue, toffee, dried papaya, dried apple and pecan - a pleasure to keep your nose stuck in the glass. Comes off silky and almost oily in the mouth with great concentration of sweet caramel, tangerine and dried fruit flavors, a touch of spirit and a long spicy and nutty finish. This was opened 4 hours prior to pouring, though not decanted. We drank half the bottle and then gave it about a 30 minute chill in the fridge before finishing it off. Although it was a little crisper with the chill on it, I preferred it at room temperature where the aromatics and texture seemed to be at their best. 95pts, Tasted 4/17/10
The Port Maverick
Roy Hersh
Site Admin

Post by Roy Hersh »

Here is one of my recent discoveries and this will be offered in the upcoming Buyer's Opportunity too. The pricing is crazy good!

1996 Quevedo Colheita Port – Bottled in 2010, from grapes of the Quinta Vale d’Agodinho, the main vineyard at Porto Quevedo. Medium ruby color w/bricking edge. This would be a great wine to fool a friend. It looks like a vintage of 15-20 years of age. It has the nose of secondary nuances including caramel apple, toffee, maple and pralines. The palate delivers a medium weight wine that starts smooth but the second day it is really voluptuous. A bit warm but not hot, the spirit remains but is not a distraction. An evolved profile for such a young Colheita, this would be a great entry point for those looking to learn what is the difference between Colheita and Vintage Port. It delivers lots of subtlety, is blessed with plenty of acidity and the finish is long and infused with nuts and torrefacted flavors. Yummy! As good as it is now; I’d love to see what this would be like with another 3 decades in wood. 91 points
Ambition driven by passion, rather than money, is as strong an elixir as is Port. http://www.fortheloveofport.com
Melanie R.

Post by Melanie R. »

I will offer a TN for the first and only Douro wine I've had a chance to try so far--a 2006 Charamba. The bottle didn't list the grape varietals, but an internet search revealed that it's comprised of Tinta Roriz, Tinta Barroca, Touriga Franca and Touriga Nacional. And I thought, "No wonder I like this wine." Tastes like a baby Tempranillo--fruity, maybe cherry, along with a spicy, almost meaty taste that I love in a Tempranillo. Paired nicely with a steak.

Apparently I forgot to note any other details such as color, finish, etc. But it's my first TN posted here, and part of only a small handful I have ever written, so I'm sure you'll cut a newbie some slack. :wink:

Based on this first experience, I am excited to try more Portuguese wines. Also, I have not been that interested in trying white Port, but after reading Lamont's TN I think I will have to give it a shot.
Blessed are we who can laugh at ourselves, for we shall never cease to be amused.
Eric Menchen

Post by Eric Menchen »

I didn't manage to open a bottle of my favourite discovery from the past year this month, but I decided to look at my TNs to figure out what that might be. For a VP, I think it was the pleasant surprise from a 1983 Smith Woodhouse, TN here. I didn't drink a lot of Douro wine, but the 2006 Quinta do Portal Grande Reserva is the one that sticks out in my memory.
Glenn E.
Location: Sammamish, Washington, United States of America - USA

Post by Glenn E. »

I'm always late with my VT notes. :lol: It often takes me most of the month to make a decision, and this VT has been no exception. It has been really tough for me to figure out what my favorite discovery of the last year might be. I'm new enough to Port that it seems like just about every bottle I open is a discovery of some sort, so which one do I pick?

But... I'll choose the 1985 Graham Vintage Port.

I've selected this because my normal preferences in Vintage Port are anything but 1985. I usually like my VP very old or very young. The 1963s are just hitting their stride for me, and the 2003s are getting too old and closing down. Gimme a '60 or a 2007.

And yet the 1985 Graham is beautiful. I love it despite the fact that it isn't yet fully mature. Everything about it just sings for me.

So there you go. :D
Glenn Elliott