ISO: IVDP approved port glasses

This forum is for discussing selling, buying and pricing of Port & Madeira.

Moderators: Glenn E., Roy Hersh, Andy Velebil

Andreas Platt

Post by Andreas Platt »

Alex,

thanks for your answer!

I thought that more people would have an opinion and statement on that, but as you were the only one answering, i am even more thankful.

Greetings,

Andreas
Mario Ferreira

Post by Mario Ferreira »

I have a few pictures of the official Port Wine glass posted online.

this is the link: http://home-and-garden.webshots.com/alb ... 9023ShFGFI

/MF/
Moses Botbol

IVDP Port Glasses

Post by Moses Botbol »

I hope we can arrange a group buy on these?

I just broke another Riedel glass last night. What a piercing sound it made when it hit the ceramic tile floor.

We are working on it

Post by Guest »

Hold tight - I know Roy is checking into this and should have some info soon. Hopefully a free lifetime supply of official Port glasses for all active FTLOP memeber with the FTLOP logo emblazened upon it.... i wish ;)

Sorry to hear about the Reidel - may it rest in peace :salute:
Derek T.

Re: IVDP Port Glasses

Post by Derek T. »

mosesbotbol wrote:I just broke another Riedel glass last night. What a piercing sound it made when it hit the ceramic tile floor.
You should try to remember to put your glass down before you pass out and hit the floor :winebath: :lol:

Derek
Moses Botbol

Re: IVDP Port Glasses

Post by Moses Botbol »

Derek Turnbull wrote:
mosesbotbol wrote:I just broke another Riedel glass last night. What a piercing sound it made when it hit the ceramic tile floor.
You should try to remember to put your glass down before you pass out and hit the floor :winebath: :lol:

Derek
The worst part is that it was full of 1900 Dow...

Actually, cleaning the floor of glass shards if the worst. I know I will cut my foot a month from now, even after several cleanings...
Andy Velebil
Location: Los Angeles, California, United States of America - USA

Post by Andy Velebil »

But, most importantly, did you lick up the spilt juice :yumyum:
Andy Velebil Good wine is a good familiar creature if it be well used. William Shakespeare http://www.fortheloveofport.com
Moses Botbol

Post by Moses Botbol »

Andy V. wrote:But, most importantly, did you lick up the spilt juice :yumyum:
Nahhh, just opened a '27 and started over...

No, the glass is empty, luckily. Picking another Riedel today. Anyone who has owned a Riedel, has broken a Riedel...
Andy Velebil

Post by Andy Velebil »

mosesbotbol wrote:
No, the glass is empty, luckily. Picking another Riedel today. Anyone who has owned a Riedel, has broken a Riedel...
Broken several Riedel port glasses myself. It's to the point I rarely use them anymore, although I do like them. Luckily, earlier this year I ran across an almost exact copy of the Riedel, but stronger glass. Don't know who made them as there was no name on the glass and they were in the close out shelf. But for the $5 a glass, they work great for everyday use.

At least until my IVDP ones arrive 8)
Andy Velebil Good wine is a good familiar creature if it be well used. William Shakespeare http://www.fortheloveofport.com
Moses Botbol

That's Why...

Post by Moses Botbol »

I want a dozen IVDP's...
Roy Hersh
Site Admin

Post by Roy Hersh »

Patience will be rewarded, this deal should culminate in November. I have been working hard behind the scenes to make it a reality. Please bear with me a few more weeks to get these sent over from Europe. There are NONE in the USA right now.
Ambition driven by passion, rather than money, is as strong an elixir as is Port. http://www.fortheloveofport.com
Johannes Stadler

Post by Johannes Stadler »

Another Picture together with a source for Germany is here:

http://www.portwein-shop.de/portwein-sh ... r-set.html

Shipping is 5€ to Germany and Austria - for the rest of the world they dondt explicitely say anything. Probably just ask if u cant get it where you are.

Would you expect them to be better than the SPiegelau glasses? Did anyone ever have both and can compare? Because i'm also looking into buying some glasses and still do not know which ones to prefer. The Spigelau is a bit less pricey but - why not spending 5 more € on a glass you can use for many years when you drink port which costs as much as a good vintage ;)

Greedz Xaverin
Greetings, Johannes Stadler
Andy Velebil

Post by Andy Velebil »

Would you expect them to be better than the SPiegelau glasses?
I have a set of the Sp. and I don't really care for the shape of the bowl. It's basically a smaller version of a champagne flute. very narrow bowl that goes almost straight up.

i like the IVDP approved ones as the shape of the bowl is rather large, then it tapers to a narrow opening. Plus, once you get used to it, I like the dimple and the stem is the perfect length for my hands. A nice wide base (which the Sp lacks) keeps it steady when sitting on a table and swirling the glass. The Sp tends to get a bit top heavy due to its really long stem and small base.

just my :twocents:
Jay Powers
Location: Pacifica, California, United States of America - USA

Post by Jay Powers »

I have 36 of the Spiegelau and 2 of the Riedel (almost for the same price!). I originally bought the Spiegelau for having guests and affordable tastings and the Reidel for Carolyn and myself, but most often end up using the Spiegelau even when it's just me. I think that they are a very nice glass for port, and for the price theres no worry about breakage. That being said neither my guests or myself have broken one yet, so I'm not really concerned about the size of the base either....Andy, how much port are you filling those glasses with? :D

Another fine glass for drinking port is the Zwiesel Cognac 247 mL glass. I recently recieved a set of these as a gift and their great!

Jay
SEAN C.
Location: Brooklyn,, New York, United States of America - USA

Post by SEAN C. »

Any news on these IVDP glasses? I would like at least a dozen I'm down to only 3 Riedel's now from 8 : :cry:

Breaking glasses

Post by Guest »

I'm down to only 3 Riedel's now from 8
Man, I want to come to YOUR Port tastings! They must be a wild affair!!!

:drunk:
Andy Velebil

Post by Andy Velebil »

sean_c wrote:Any news on these IVDP glasses? I would like at least a dozen I'm down to only 3 Riedel's now from 8 : :cry:
Sean,
Your supposed to drink whats IN the glass, not eat what holds it :wink: :lol: :lol:
SEAN C.

Re: Breaking glasses

Post by SEAN C. »

admin wrote:
I'm down to only 3 Riedel's now from 8
Man, I want to come to YOUR Port tastings! They must be a wild affair!!!

:drunk:
No I'm just an idiot ..they tend to fall of a ledge when I drink outside in the summer..never full though!
SEAN C.

Post by SEAN C. »

Andy V. wrote:
sean_c wrote:Any news on these IVDP glasses? I would like at least a dozen I'm down to only 3 Riedel's now from 8 : :cry:
Sean,
Your supposed to drink whats IN the glass, not eat what holds it :wink: :lol: :lol:
HAHA! I've been know to eat Port sediment but I usually stay away from the glass ..bad for the stomach.. :lol: :wink:
Moses Botbol

Post by Moses Botbol »

sean_c wrote:
Andy V. wrote:
Sean,
HAHA! I've been know to eat Port sediment but I usually stay away from the glass ..bad for the stomach.. :lol: :wink:
Port sediment omlette
Welsh Corgis | F1 |British Cars