TNs: TEXTURE Descriptors ?

This section is for those who have basics questions about, or are new to, Port. There are no "dumb" questions here - just those wanting to learn more!

Moderators: Glenn E., Roy Hersh, Andy Velebil

Mike McCune
Location: Bothell, Washington, United States of America - USA

TNs: TEXTURE Descriptors ?

Post by Mike McCune »

What are you using for TEXTURE descriptors in evaluating Port? I'd like to see what else is being used between Silky and Coarse.
Ok, I've now poked around the site by searching for 'Texture' in the Port Forum. Texture sure gets pushed to the limits and beyond in terms of its relating directly to the descriptors used for it! This is NOT a criticism, just an attempt to find some consistent and meaningful descriptors to use in the future...including some tongue in cheek analysis. It seems that body and texture are can easily described by the same term depending on the context or accompanying adjectives.

My first 'Texture' search result includes a lively and detailed RATINGS DISCUSSION on "TN: Warre 1970" which was completely worth the search by itself (as I've been finding myself contemplating the 100 pt scale as it relates to drinkability vs aging potential)!!

Some "Texture" Search observations(dict: = dictionary http://www.m-w.com):

COARSE - dict: harsh, rough

SMOOTH - as various creature's bottoms. kind of wierd to be associating TASTE as an equivilant to TOUCH... i.e. Baby's bottom, Mink (anyone licked a mink lately?)

OILY - dict: excessively smooth

RASPY - dict: harsh, grating. This makes sense though I normally relate it to sound.

RICH - seems more like more related to Body, Color or Fragrance

VISCOUS - dictionary takes me to Viscid... 1a: adhesive quality - Sticky 1b: glutenous quality - Viscous(which points me back to Viscid!) (Where glutenous is described as a 'tenacious elasitc protein')
'Sticky' to me would be a type of tannin descriptor, like "grippy". So, it makes sense that tannins have a lot to do with the Texture description.
Tom Archer

Post by Tom Archer »

VISCOUS - dictionary takes me to Viscid... 1a: adhesive quality - Sticky 1b: glutenous quality - Viscous(which points me back to Viscid!) (Where glutenous is described as a 'tenacious elasitc protein')
'Sticky' to me would be a type of tannin descriptor, like "grippy". So, it makes sense that tannins have a lot to do with the Texture description.
I'm surprised you needed a dictionary for this - maybe it's a less used word across the pond...

Has the opposite meaning to MOBILE.

Liquids like water and alcohol are mobile, liquids like treacle and tar are viscous. The more viscous a fluid is (the greater it's viscosity), the longer it takes to pour from one container into another.

Tom
Mike McCune

Post by Mike McCune »

Tom, I especially appreciate the opposite of Viscous being MOBILE.

I'm familiar with the terms viscous/viscosity, as they make me think of engine oil and 'thicker' liquids. But in terms of Texture I'm still trying to make sense of it. It strikes me as being more of a Body/weight descriptor than a Texture definition.
Tom Archer

Post by Tom Archer »

There is a noticeable variation in the viscosity of ports, depending on the concentration of the sugars.

Old tawny's and colheitas can be quite viscous, as the evaporation through the barrel removes fluid while leaving the sugars behind. The Niepoort colheita I opened this afternoon was unusually mobile however.

On VP's there is also some variation, the finer wines tending towards greater viscosity than poorer ones through greater concentration, although poor wines that are over-sweet can also be quite viscous.

Tom
Roy Hersh
Site Admin

Post by Roy Hersh »

Glycerin levels also have an effect on viscosity.
It seems that body and texture are can easily described by the same term depending on the context or accompanying adjectives.
Always the contrarian, (I prefer that to constantly saying "I disagree" 8) ). Body to me is the weight of the wine, the thickness, the viscousness. These are represented simply by light, medium and full bodied or weight. A white wine can be a heavy weight just as easily as a red or Port. Conversely, some Port and even Vintage Ports, can show a light body and some call this elegant. I just call it light-bodied.

Conversely, "texture" is all about the mouth feel of the wine and what one perceives when rolling the Port across their tongue and around the inside of their mouth. When I think in terms of texture and wine the first thing that comes to mind is Burgundy, which is as much about sensorial textural pleasure as outstanding flavors. Velvet and silk are often used to describe a soft mouthfeel. I have seen rustic and coarse and even harsh used to describe the opposite of soft.

And as far as Mike's comment goes, I will need to create a bumper sticker:
"Lick stamps not mink."
Ambition driven by passion, rather than money, is as strong an elixir as is Port. http://www.fortheloveofport.com
Mike McCune

It seems that body and texture are can easily described by t

Post by Mike McCune »

It seems that body and texture are can easily described by the same term depending on the context or accompanying adjectives.
Roy, although it didn't come out that way, I'm actually in agreement with you. It just seems some reviews occasionally use taste descriptors a bit 'liberally' to describe texture.