November Virtual tasting, new Poll

This forum is designed to help facilitate virtual tastings.

Moderators: Glenn E., Roy Hersh, Andy Velebil

What do you want to drink.

Poll ended at Fri Nov 03, 2006 4:42 pm

Anything from a Port Producer
38%
I wanna try a Madeira this time
8%
Lets get some 20 yo Tawny
54%
Let me open something that I want everyone to discover
No votes

Total votes: 13

Frederick Blais

November Virtual tasting, new Poll

Post by Frederick Blais »

Let me know what fit the best for you!

If you chose "anything from a Port producer" let me know which one it is and what you plan to open so we can get diversity among the products of this producer!

Any other suggestion are welcome as usual.
Living the dream and now working for a Port company
Roy Hersh
Site Admin

Post by Roy Hersh »

I voted 20 year old Tawny, because I have one in my queue right now.

But given my druthers, I'd love to follow Derek's lead and see folks opening up a VP. My choice would be a 1977 to see how that particular vintage is doing and because I have not opened any recently. But that is just me.

Any Port in a storm, works for me! :shock:
Ambition driven by passion, rather than money, is as strong an elixir as is Port. http://www.fortheloveofport.com
Frederick Blais

I did vote from anything from a Port producer. I have Taylor in mind as it has vast varieties of tawnies and VP. I could open a Terra Feita 87 or Vargellas 88 probably.
Derek T.

Post by Derek T. »

I voted Anything from a Port Producer. Happy to follow your lead on Taylor's, Fred, as it would give me a good reason to open my first bottle of Vargellas 87 8)

Derek

PS - can we please, please, please have a VP theme for December - it is Christmas after all !
Andy Velebil
Location: Los Angeles, California, United States of America - USA

Post by Andy Velebil »

I voted for anything also. I just feel like hitting the store and finding something I have not tried yet.

I agree that a VP should be done in December also, it tis the season after all.
Andy Velebil Good wine is a good familiar creature if it be well used. William Shakespeare http://www.fortheloveofport.com
Jay Powers
Location: Pacifica, California, United States of America - USA

Post by Jay Powers »

Roy Hersh wrote:
But given my druthers, I'd love to follow Derek's lead and see folks opening up a VP. My choice would be a 1977 to see how that particular vintage is doing and because I have not opened any recently. But that is just me.

Any Port in a storm, works for me! :shock:
I voted Madeira, just for fun. But if you gents don't want to go for that, I would agree on Vintage port, 1977. I have been trying to get Tom to open a 77 Grahams on both of his last "pick my port" polls without luck, so I'm ready to open one of mine and give it a try.

It would be really interesting if everybody opened a 77 Grahams to see what range of opinions we end up with....dissapointment of the vintage, or one of the greatest of all time? Want to answer the question once and for all?

Jay
Frederick Blais

Andy do you have a producer in mind, just want to go with majority so it please most of participant.

I can't edit poll, but if you want to follow Jay's idea of tasting Graham's 1977 just say so and I'll count votes for that too.
Andy Velebil
Location: Los Angeles, California, United States of America - USA

Post by Andy Velebil »

Fred,

No producer in mind, if the "anything from a Port producer" was chosen I was just going to see what my local wine shop had, that I myself have not had yet, and then give it a go.

I kinda like the idea of "anything goes" this month. That way people can try what ever they chose and hopefully we can get some more input from people.
Andy Velebil Good wine is a good familiar creature if it be well used. William Shakespeare http://www.fortheloveofport.com
Derek T.

Post by Derek T. »

I thought that "Anything from a Port Producer" meant that we would all have something from a single producer. Andy seems to have interpreted this category to be anything from any producer. Which is it, Fred?

Derek
Frederick Blais

Derek, you have it right. This is the way I wanted it to be, though I find I could have be a bit more descriptive.
Roy Hersh
Site Admin

Post by Roy Hersh »

Just to add my two cents, I think sticking to a particular producer would be very rewarding and make for great reading. Fred, please pick one that we can ALL find (and probably already own). Thanks!
Ambition driven by passion, rather than money, is as strong an elixir as is Port. http://www.fortheloveofport.com
Frederick Blais

Roy, right now there is 2 votes for Taylor's and 1 vote for Graham's. You have less than 24h to cast your vote about it.
Al B.

Post by Al B. »

Having been working my butt off (again) for most of October I found that the month had vanished and yet again I had not got my act together to go out to the shops and buy in a bottle for the virtual tasting theme.

So, I am determined to take part in the November virtual offline.

I voted to taste a 20 year old tawny. The reason I voted for this is that I don't think I have ever tried a 20 year old tawny. If I have, I certainly didn't take any notes on it. One of the things I really like about the virtual offlines (when I take part) is that they bring me to drink things that I don't normally try - the Bin 27 tasting being a classic example of this.

And if Derek wants us to have a Vintage Port theme for December, then I would prefer a "non" Vintage Port theme for November.

And if we have a "non" Vintage Port theme for November then my suggestion for December's virtual offline would be for a Taylors Vertical (to contrast with the 1991 horizontal that we did a couple of months back). The idea for December could be to open any vintage wine from Taylors, Terra Feita or Vargellas.

Just my two cents worth.

Alex
Derek T.

Post by Derek T. »

Alex,

You could have your 20 yr old tawny if we go for the Anything from a Port Porducer theme. From the posts above it seems that if we do go for that one it will be Taylor's - so you could go out and have a taylor's 20 yr old whilst I have my Vargellas 87 and others have whatever taylor's they can find - everybody wins 8)

On December - it just has to be VP, unless we have a December VT and a special Christmas VT in the same month?

Derek
Al B.

Post by Al B. »

Sadly, I know myself and some of my flaws. If we went for a theme of "anything from producer X" then I'd simply take the easy option and pull a bottle of VP out of the cellar by that producer - saves me the hassle of shopping.

But then...does Taylors also cover Croft, Martinez, Fonseca, Sandeman etc. etc.

Alex
Derek T.

Post by Derek T. »

bridgema wrote:Sadly, I know myself and some of my flaws.
I'm quite sure Elizabeth could fill you in on the other flaws if you dared to ask :lol: :lol:

Derek
Frederick Blais

Well, there is one more vote for the 20 yo Tawny tasting. Lets stick to that then. I'm going to start a new topic.