October Virtual tasting : Colheita

This forum is designed to help facilitate virtual tastings.

Moderators: Glenn E., Roy Hersh, Andy Velebil

Frederick Blais

October Virtual tasting : Colheita

Post by Frederick Blais »

So from Portugal, I want to start this month Virtual tasting. Lets put your opinion here on Colheita 94 if possible or any other colheita if you can t find one of this vintage.

I ll join in when I come back.
Living the dream and now working for a Port company
Roy Hersh
Site Admin

Post by Roy Hersh »

Fred,

I'll have to go through my TNs to find it, but we did have a 1994 Niepoort Colheita and a bunch of FTLOPers were there to experience it, so it should be a no-brainer to include that one here for October.
Ambition driven by passion, rather than money, is as strong an elixir as is Port. http://www.fortheloveofport.com
Andy Velebil
Location: Los Angeles, California, United States of America - USA

Post by Andy Velebil »

1994 Niepoort Colheita, bottled 2006

Tasted on 10-3-06 at Niepoort's cellars.

The color was a medium redish orange, with a tinge on heat still present from it's relatively young age. This did not detract at all and should integrate as it ages in bottle. The palate was very lushish with notes of spice, vanilla, and walnuts that just filled the mouth. I must say it was very complex and well balanced. The finish just seemed to last for an eternity and as much as I wanted to take the next sip, I had to force myself to wait as that finish just kept going.

Using the 100 point scale I gave it a 94

Using Toms this would translate into about 8-9
Andy Velebil Good wine is a good familiar creature if it be well used. William Shakespeare http://www.fortheloveofport.com
Roy Hersh
Site Admin

Post by Roy Hersh »

Outstanding note Andy and far more detailed than mine that will follow. Glad to see the '94 Colheita theme (a rather tough one I might add) start to get some notice. I hope others will chime in with either their impressions of the same Colheita we tasted together or any other 1994 they can get their hands on.

1994 Niepoort Colheita - bottled 2006. Showing a light ruby color with an orange tinge and slightly amber edge. A fine young Colheita, rich and dense in the mouth yet light in body overall, a dichotomy which is a feat in itself. Spicy and fruit driven with a solid finish and in time the alcohol will meld. An elegant youngster. 92 points
Ambition driven by passion, rather than money, is as strong an elixir as is Port. http://www.fortheloveofport.com
Frederick Blais

Dow's Colheita 1994 bottled 2004: Very expressive bouquet of toffey, cinamon, orange peel and nutmeg after some time, good intensity here. Mouth is smooth, well balanced, taste of dried figs, caramel and toffey, finish is a bit dull, lacking acidity there, quite short flavors persistance, retro of cinamon and caramel to save for a good impression. 15.5/20

Good effort but lacking on the finale to make it an overall complete wine, the price is ok though there is better stuff around for your bucks. 32$can

http://www.frederickblais.com/virtual_t ... G_7821.jpg
Tom Archer

Post by Tom Archer »

I don't have any '94 Colheitas - and nor do many other people, by the look of it... :roll:

So I've stood up a Niepoort '78/'92 - will decant tomorrow.

Tom
Tom Archer

Post by Tom Archer »

Decanted a few minutes ago from a nice pale green bottle!.

There was little reason to decant as there was only a wisp of sediment, but entraining a little air tends to have it's benefits.

Wine was very mobile as I decanted, and also very pale. Will give it a few hours to compose itself before engaging it seriously, but as of habit, I took a quick sip.

If I'd been tasting blind I would I have declared it to be a dry Amontillado sherry. Only the lingering aftertaste has any signature of port.

Not disagreeable though - and that aftertaste just goes on and on....

Tom
Tom Archer

Post by Tom Archer »

After a few hours it is more like port - but no great wow factor.

However, I actually quite like it's modesty - a respectable beverage, but without flair. In every respect, civilised - but I suspect others might denounce it as flat and uninspiring...

I feel this is a very appropriate nightcap after a busy day - a drink to wind down with.

I will score it as a Colheita, and in that regard I consider it to be very steady - it is not likely to improve noticeably, nor decline. It is full bodied, but just a touch tart. No big issue though.

- The length of the aftertaste is really impresssive..

My score is:

8-8

Tom
Roy Hersh
Site Admin

Post by Roy Hersh »

Thanks for all the great TNs. I assume that Frederick picked the 1994 Colheita for this month's tasting because either:

a. he had just purchased a bottle or

b. he was able to find one in the SAQ shops in his area

Either way, I think that for November it would be great if Fred would again take a quick poll to see what everybody would like to taste together and also something that would be a bit easier to find. Limiting a Colheita tasting to just 1994 is tough, given how young it is. Of course I realize that people can actually drink whatever bottle they own or can buy that will come close to fitting the specific Virtual Tasting criteria. But this is just a suggestion and is up to your feedback and Frederick's decision. :D

Maybe it would be better to just pick a decade or a range of years, for example: "please choose a Colheita from 1985 to 1994 vintages." That would allow for many other people to participate and make it much easier to find a bottle that fits into the parameters.

Thanks Frederick, you are doing great!
Derek T.

Post by Derek T. »

As winter is fast approaching perhaps it is time for a REAL VP for the VT in November - what about a horizontal from a classic year like 1966, 1970, 1977 or 1985 like we did with 1991?

Derek
Frederick Blais

Roy, the decision to make it a 94 colheita tasting was because some agreed to do it, it did not come from me. I'm always putting suggestion and reading what others have to say. I have a few ideas for the next one, please cast your vote!
Derek T.

Post by Derek T. »

I have half of a 750ml bottle of Neipoort 94 Colheita in the fridge at home. I drunk the first half earlier this week at a low point after a long day at work and didn't have the energy to take a TN - I got as far as "Red/orange colour" and gave up, but at least that corresponds to Andy and Roy's notes of the same wine so I wasn't too drunk :oops:

Will try to post a TN from the other half bottle before Tuesday.

Derek
Eric Duprey
Location: West New York, New Jersey, United States of America - USA

Post by Eric Duprey »

1994 Niepoort Colheita

My note on this one was a bit skimpy, but I remember that I enjoyed it very much. Good balance of fruit with just a touch of tannin. I also noted pleasing hints of vanilla and pine resin on the nose. 95 pts.
Eric