The Ashes

For things that don't fit into the other categories.

Moderators: Glenn E., Roy Hersh, Andy Velebil

Derek T.

The Ashes

Post by Derek T. »

Given our history of having threads in this part of the Forum I thought I would create one for this years Ashes Series in case any of our members wished to discuss how the England cricket team are getting along Down Under.

For The Love of Sport

Derek

PS: Does anyone know where I can find some Auzzie Port :wink:
Andy Velebil
Location: Los Angeles, California, United States of America - USA

Post by Andy Velebil »

Forgive my ignorance, but what is the Ashes Series??
Andy Velebil Good wine is a good familiar creature if it be well used. William Shakespeare http://www.fortheloveofport.com
Derek T.

Post by Derek T. »

Andy,

There are many others on this Forum who are better qualified than I am to explain this but I'm not sure they will be posting here so this is my explanation.

Many years ago England and Australia played a game of Cricket - one of them won the game, not sure who, and for some reason they decided to burn the stumps (wooden poles that the bowler tries to knock down) and put the ashes in a jug. Each year since then the 2 nations have played for "The Ashes". The event has been happening for about 100 years or so and as far as I can tell the Auzzies normally take the jug home. Last year the match was played in England and the home team won. This year has been built up with much hipe and enthusiasm here in the UK with the hope of a follow-on victory.

The "Series" comprises 5 (or maybe 3) 5 day cricket matches (games). Yes, 5 days each game :shock: - We are currently in the midst of game 1. The latest report from the BBC is as follows:

FIRST TEST, DAY THREE:
Australia 602-9 dec v England 99-5
Australia dismissed Kevin Pietersen and Andrew Flintoff in successive overs to leave England on the ropes in the first Ashes Test in Brisbane.

Pietersen had an early let-off when Stuart Clark failed to hold on to a miscued pull running back from mid-on.

But he was soon on his way after offering no stroke to a ball from Glenn McGrath and was given out lbw for 16.

Skipper Flintoff's innings lasted three balls as he was caught behind off Lee for a third-ball duck.

Another way to explain this is Australia 602, England 99 - not looking good for England at this point in time :?

Anyway, this will last for many weeks and at some point I am sure my English friends will chip in to explain in more detail.

Derek
Andy Velebil

Post by Andy Velebil »

WOW, I though the Baseball World Series was long. Since none of the info you quoted made sense, I will need to do a little Google search and brush up on how the game is played.

I did see it played once, last night, as a matter of fact. Of course, it was after Thanksgiving dinner, while the kids were watching "The Chronicals of Narnia" movie :oops:
Andy Velebil Good wine is a good familiar creature if it be well used. William Shakespeare http://www.fortheloveofport.com
Derek T.

Post by Derek T. »

Andy,

I can save you the time on Google:

1. 22 men dress up in white suits and go into a big open space, 11 of them put on crash helmets and pads on their lower legs - only 2 of these are allowed on the field at any on time

2. They throw a leather ball filled with concrete at each other every 5 or 10 minutes for 5 days. If a guy with a helmet on hits the ball he scores points (runs) If the ball hits the wooden poles one of the guys with a helmet on is "out" and has to leave the game. When they are all "out" the game is over.

3. Australia win

That's cricket!

Derek

PS: If it rains they all go inside in case they get wet. Sometimes it rains for all 5 days and England manage to tie the game (if it doesn't finish then no one is allowed to win regardless of how far in front they are at the time)
Andy Velebil

Post by Andy Velebil »

Ahh, thanks
Roy Hersh
Site Admin

Post by Roy Hersh »

While working in So. Africa on a wine project, my host was having a party at his home that I was invited to ... before we were all to head out for dinner. They got started on watching some important televised Cricket match between the UK and ZA. Not only did I spend the most boring afternoon into evening of my life watching that match (learning that these dreadful "events" can and do last 5 entire days) but by the time we were to head out to dinner ... I was hungry enough to eat an alley cat. These guys were serious about their Cricket. However, I think the game of Dominoes is more of an exciting sport. IF I were ever subjected to watch a game ever again, I'd bring along my own Port Magnum (and NOT share it).
Ambition driven by passion, rather than money, is as strong an elixir as is Port. http://www.fortheloveofport.com
Tom Archer

Post by Tom Archer »

OK Roy, but horses for courses..

How can anyone get excited by a bunch of guys dressed up like Spacemen who presume to play a game they call football (but the ball never seems to touch their feet) - and then take rest breaks every 20 seconds..

Now that IS boring :D

Tom
Andy Velebil

Post by Andy Velebil »

Tom,

I agree and baseball is not far behind. They spend more time taking breaks than actually playing.