Le Douro au fil des quintas [L'Express.fr]

This site is for discussion of travel to the "Land of Port & Madeira" as well as food related to Port or Portugal. Additionally your Offline tasting events can be planned and reviewed here.

Moderators: Glenn E., Roy Hersh, Andy Velebil

Mario Ferreira

Le Douro au fil des quintas [L'Express.fr]

Post by Mario Ferreira »

L'Express du 29/08/2005
Le Douro au fil des quintas
par Elodie Klein

Ces haltes de charme sont nombreuses dans la région

Un océan vert chatoyant où les vagues s'arrondissent, gonflent et finissent par s'éteindre doucement dans un fleuve paisible. Nous sommes dans la vallée du Douro, où, sur près de 400 kilomètres, s'étagent en terrasses quelque 350 000 hectares de vignobles produisant, depuis des siècles, le fameux vin de Porto. Une région classée au Patrimoine mondial de l'Unesco grâce à son exceptionnelle beauté, bien sûr, mais également à la spécificité de ses plantations. Le terroir, comme de la dentelle, a été façonné par l'homme. Depuis le XIIe siècle, les pentes abruptes des coteaux ont été adoucies et aménagées en terrasses afin de permettre d'y planter, profondément dans le schiste, des ceps.

La période des vendanges (de fin août à fin octobre) est propice à la découverte de la vallée du Douro. Ici, les ouvriers récoltent encore le raisin à la main - impossible de faire passer une machine entre les lignes étroites et sinueuses des patares (terrasses)! - avant de l'acheminer dans les quintas de la vallée, de belles demeures anciennes érigées comme des forteresses blanches à flanc de colline. Certains domaines effectuent encore le traditionnel foulage au pied, dans d'immenses cuves de granit ( lagares); c'est le cas de la Quinta de Pacheca, un ancien monastère cistercien situé à quelques kilomètres de Lamego. Les vendangeurs piétinent, pendant des heures et en cadence, la récolte des 36 hectares du domaine, un spectacle quasi unique au monde!

Pour les visiteurs hédonistes, la Pousada do Solar da Rede voisine (une pousada est un monument historique transformé en hôtel), qui, depuis le XVIIIe siècle, domine la vallée et son «fleuve d'or», offrira, entre un décor de superbes azulejos polychromes et des chambres ouvrant plein cadre sur les vignes, un havre idéal. A moins que le voyageur esthète ne préfère la démesure du style manuélin, les voûtes aux reliefs nervurés, les piliers en spirale et les plafonds ouvragés de l'hôtel Rural Casa dos Viscondes, une demeure du XVIIe siècle lovée au cœur de 180 hectares de vignes et d'oliviers, à proximité de Lamego. A Pinhão, le village vit au rythme de la vigne, comme en témoignent les azulejos jaune et bleu de la gare, qui représentent des scènes de la culture vinicole dans la vallée. De là, empruntez la petite route qui grimpe jusqu'à la Quinta de Bom Retiro. Ce domaine, avec ses 100 hectares de ceps accrochés à la rive gauche du Torto - un affluent du Douro - constitue l'une des plus importantes exploitations de la région ainsi que l'une des rares à proposer des circuits de visite.

Le soir, une étape à la Quinta do Convento, monastère cistercien du XIIe siècle, vous permettra de goûter, entre la rivière de Tavora et le fleuve Douro, au charme des marches dans cette vallée, où les derniers vignobles se mêlent déjà aux belles forêts de merisiers.

© L'EXPRESS
PORTugal, One Country, 800 Years of History, 11 Distinct Regions plus Azores and Madeira, and Thousands of Wines :-)
Frederick Blais

Post by Frederick Blais »

Avoir su qu'on pouvait échanger en français sur le site :lol: :lol:

Merci Mario pour l'article, même s'il est court, on saisit bien les descriptions à faire rêver!
Living the dream and now working for a Port company
Andy Velebil
Location: Los Angeles, California, United States of America - USA

Post by Andy Velebil »

Ok, so i tried translating this, with the help of my new apple computer translater, for the rest of us. Hope it came out ok.

These halts of charm are numerous in the area

A green ocean chatoyant where the waves swell, inflate and end up dying out gently in a peaceful river. We are in the valley of Douro, where, on nearly 400 kilometers, in terraces some 350 000 hectares of vineyards are producing, for centuries, the famous wine of Oporto. An area classified with the world of UNESCO thanks to its exceptional beauty, of course Inheritance, but also with the specificity of its plantations. The soil, like lace, was worked by the man. Since XIIe century, the steep slopes were flattened and arranged in terraces in order to make it possible to plant there, deeply in the schist, of the stocks.

The period of the grape harvest (of at the end of August threw the end of October) favourable with is discovered valley of Douro. Here, the workmen still collect the grape with the hand - impossible to make pass a machine between the narrow and patares (terraces)! - before conveying it in the quintas valley, beautiful old residences set up like white fortresses with hillside. Certain fields still carry out traditional pressing with the foot, in immense granite tanks (lagares). The vintagers trample, during hours and in rate, the harvest of the 36 hectares of the field, a quasi single spectacle in the world!

For the visitors hedonists, Pousada C Solar da Rede neighbor (a pousada is a historic building transformed into hotel), which, since the XVIIIe century, dominates the valley and its "river of gold", will offer, between a decoration of superb azulejos polychrome and of the rooms opening full framework on the vines, an ideal harbour. With less than the traveller esthète does not prefer the disproportion of the style manuélin, the vaults with the ribbed reliefs, the pillars in spiral and the worked ceilings of the Rural hotel Put back Viscondes, a residence of the XVIIe century coiled with the c?ur of 180 hectares vines and olive-trees, near Lamego. In Pinhão, the village lives at the rate/rhythm of the vine, as the azulejos yellow and blue testify some to the station, which represent scenes of the viticultural culture in the valley. From there, take the small road which climbs until Quinta de Bom Retiro. This field, with its 100 hectares of stocks fixed on left bank of Torto - an affluent of Douro - constitutes one of the most important exploitations of the area like one of rare to propose circuits of visit.

In the evening, a stage in Quinta C Convento, monastery cistercian of XIIe century, will enable you to taste, between the river of Tavora and the Douro river, with the charm of the steps in this valley, where the last vineyards mix already with the beautiful forests of wild cherry trees.n
Andy Velebil Good wine is a good familiar creature if it be well used. William Shakespeare http://www.fortheloveofport.com
Mario Ferreira

Thanks

Post by Mario Ferreira »

Dear Frédérick, You're welcome. I'm glad you liked the L'Express article. Because it's written in french, I must confess your name (Frédérick Blais - Port Disciple from Montreal) crossed my mind at the moment I was posting it here. Now I'm glad to notice you like it. Great. Thanks. /Mário.

Dear Andy, thank you for your assistance. I can tell your computer translater has done a good job. Please note that English is not my first language. However, for a quick translation (of the french), I consider this final result (in english) is pretty acceptable. Great. Thanks. /Mário.
PORTugal, One Country, 800 Years of History, 11 Distinct Regions plus Azores and Madeira, and Thousands of Wines :-)