LBV Ports

This forum is for discussing all things Port (as in from PORTugal) - vintages, recommendations, tasting notes, etc.

Moderators: Glenn E., Roy Hersh, Andy Velebil

Steve Saxon

LBV Ports

Post by Steve Saxon »

LBV's are a great inexpensive way to enjoy port's. What are your favorite producers and vintages?

Steve
Wine brings truth.
nicos neocleous

Quinta do Noval LBV's

Post by nicos neocleous »

For me, this is currently my favourite LBV. The 1997 & 1994 are stunning examples.

Nicos
YOLO
Jay Woodruff

Post by Jay Woodruff »

Never had the 94 but the 97 was outstanding in my opinion. Good QPR as well.
Jason Brandt Lewis
Location: Berkeley, California, United States of America - USA

Post by Jason Brandt Lewis »

Noval, Crasto and Niepoort generally are my first three choices, though it will vary with the specific vintage.
Steve Saxon

Post by Steve Saxon »

My favorite was the 94 Warre unfiltered. It got better everyday it was opened.
Wine brings truth.
Frederick Blais

Post by Frederick Blais »

Taste a few since the 1995 vintage, my two favorite are Niepoort and Noval both from the 1996 vintage. I find that LBV are better from off vintage. I was really impress by a surprising Delaforce LBV 1992 recently.

A nice quinta to look out for is Quinta do Tedo run by Vincent Bouchard. Their LBV is really good.
Living the dream and now working for a Port company
Roy Hersh
Site Admin

Post by Roy Hersh »

My favorite all time LBV was the Quinta do Noval 1994.

I like Dow, Niepoort, Smith Woodhouse, Warre, Noval and Quinta do Portal. I believe that the best LBVs come from the declassified grapes from the top vintage years, although there are many exceptions.
Ambition driven by passion, rather than money, is as strong an elixir as is Port. http://www.fortheloveofport.com
Steve Saxon

Post by Steve Saxon »

And what are declassified grapes?
Wine brings truth.
Bill B

favorites

Post by Bill B »

Noval, Warre, Niepoort for LBV's
Bill Buitenhuys
xxxMonique Heinemans

Post by xxxMonique Heinemans »

Warre 1992, Niepoort 1997 and Noval unfiltered 1997.
Ronald Wortel

Post by Ronald Wortel »

Warre 1992 is lovely. Niepoort 1996 and 1998 (they age quite good as well). Quinta do Crasto 1997. Quinta do Passadouro 1997. And some of the older Quinta da Romaneira's (1989 is still drinking nicely as well as 1986).

BTW, the Rozès 1995 (the unfiltered version of course) and Ramos Pinto 1997 are very fine as well.
But enough about me, what do YOU think of me? -- Johnny Bravo
Roy Hersh
Site Admin

Post by Roy Hersh »

Sorry Steve,

Declassified juice is that which is slightly less than meeting the organoleptic (sensorial criterion) parameters for a required cuvee. For example, at one time Caymus declassified some casks that were from blocks in their vineyard which did not meet the quality level desired for Caymus' top Napa label of Cabernet Sauvignon. So instead they created a 2nd label (at the time) called Liberty School Cabernet Sauvignon and made this a top notch value wine that underpromised and over-delivered for the price point.

The same thing happens with Port that just quite does not have either the tannic structure or proper Baume, or Ph level to go into the Vintage Port blend. This juice may wine up being used for Tawny Port or even a Reserve (used to be called "Vintage Character") and very likely will show up in LBV Ports.
Ambition driven by passion, rather than money, is as strong an elixir as is Port. http://www.fortheloveofport.com
Steve Saxon

Post by Steve Saxon »

So Roy, are your saying to buy LBV'S from the 92, 94 and 97 vintages, but stay away from from the 95, 96, and 98s?
Wine brings truth.
Harris Ueng

Post by Harris Ueng »

Actually, this past weekend, I enjoyed a very tasty 98 Niepoort LBV -- an all-round enjoyable port that's just pleasant with a decently long finish. So, depending on what characteristics you enjoy, I wouldn't stay away from the 98's.
Andrew Stevenson

Post by Andrew Stevenson »

I'll add another vote for Noval 1997 LBV.

So good, that I bought two cases!
Roy Hersh
Site Admin

Post by Roy Hersh »

Steve,

Nothing of the sort. I have had nice LBVs from the non-vintage years as well. I just have found mo' betta LBVs from the vintage years.