Year end time of reflection ... how has your Port ...

This forum is for discussing all things Port (as in from PORTugal) - vintages, recommendations, tasting notes, etc.

Moderators: Glenn E., Roy Hersh, Andy Velebil

Roy Hersh
Site Admin

Year end time of reflection ... how has your Port ...

Post by Roy Hersh »

Year end is always a great time for reflection ... in that regard, how has your Port palate changed over the past year or two? What do you attribute this to?
Ambition driven by passion, rather than money, is as strong an elixir as is Port. http://www.fortheloveofport.com

Ummm.....

Post by Guest »

My Port palatte in the past year has gone off the chart.

As many of you know, Roy and I met - gosh - it's probably been close to two years ago, me wanting to expand my Port knowledge and Roy wanting some website thingamagigy for his Port newsletter.

The past year has been one of some incredible tasting opportunities, the greatest of which was Roy's Portugal tour. Nothing, in my humble opinion, can compare with walking the vineyards, asking the winemakers about how they produce their Ports, and (beyond all question) being able to taste amazing verticals of a producer's wines. You learn the nuances of vintages and can compare apples to apples (or grapes to grapes, as it were)...

Of course, my palate also received quite the education on that trip, as I got to compare notes, and palates, with some really wonderful Port aficionados...

Here's to another wonderful year of exploring and (dare I say) drinking Port!

Stewart
*sweetstuff

Re: Ummm.....

Post by *sweetstuff »

admin wrote:My Port palatte in the past year has gone off the chart.

Nothing, in my humble opinion, can compare with walking the vineyards, asking the winemakers about how they produce their Ports, and (beyond all question) being able to taste amazing verticals of a producer's wines. You learn the nuances of vintages and can compare apples to apples (or grapes to grapes, as it were)...
Stewart
Of course, Stewart, this is true not only for Port but for many other regions, some of which are seldom visited. I can testify to the impact of a visit or three to Germany on a person who had 30 years of passionate interest in these wines. It gave me a perspective that I could never have gotten only from drinking the wines and reading intensely what was available in books and on the Net.

I wouldn't be surprised if a vist to Madiera didn't have the same effect on those who love these wines. I'd love to go myself on the trip to Portugal and Madiera Island, but probably won't be able to unless some unexpected inheritance comes my way.
Best, John Trombley aka Rieslingrat
*sweetstuff

Re: Year end time of reflection ... how has your Port ...

Post by *sweetstuff »

Roy Hersh wrote:Year end is always a great time for reflection ... in that regard, how has your Port palate changed over the past year or two? What do you attribute this to?
But to answer your question, Roy, I have been drinking much more port mostly because of this website. I hpe that you realize that one of your goals was met here.

I'm not really able to complete with the prices of current release VPs today, so I mostly look for 'lesser' opportunities, which I often find in 'Traditional' LBVs. I've been truly amazed at how great and ageworthy wines like Noval LBVs, are, to throw out one example.
Best, John Trombley aka Rieslingrat
nicos neocleous

Post by nicos neocleous »

Roy,

Firstly, I'd like to thank you for this wonderful site. This has continued to take my love affair with Port to new levels. I have also learnt a lot from the threads.

I suppose I have been looking more this year at Port vintages drinking well now, e.g. some 1977's, 1970 and 1966.

All the best for 2007!

Nicos
YOLO
Moses Botbol

Post by Moses Botbol »

Well, luckily I found this site and it has become to premier place for me to read about and talk about our passion of port. This year, I have been fortunate to drink a lot of bang up ports, and very few stinkers. Reflecting back on it all is- not believing wine magazines ratings on port. What WS says the score is, is useless. Ports that were in the high 80’s were as nearly good as the low 90’s. After a few glasses, the bridge was even closer…

Also, now I notice bottle stink, TCA, and off-bottles more than I did in wine or port. In this case, I wish ignorance was bliss… Oh well.

I hope to make it on a Portugal trip soon too. When are they happening?
Welsh Corgis | F1 |British Cars
Andy Velebil
Location: Los Angeles, California, United States of America - USA

Post by Andy Velebil »

My palate has changed quite a bit over the past year. Most of that as a result of going with Roy, and others from this forum, on the Harvest Trip this year. There was such a vast amount of things I tried, from very old bottles, one day old lagares samples, and individual grape varietials. The latter being the single best thing I have experienced, as a young student of Port, to increase my understanding of what I am tasting. I can honestly say my tasting ability and knowledge of Port in general has gone up by leaps and bounds this year.
Andy Velebil Good wine is a good familiar creature if it be well used. William Shakespeare http://www.fortheloveofport.com
Tom Archer

Post by Tom Archer »

The biggest thing that has changed for me this year is the number of bottles in my cellar, which has expanded at a rate that averages more than a bottle a day... :shock:

This site has been enormously helpful for exchanging notes and discussing some of the more abstract aspects of the subject.

Thanks Roy :thumbsup:

Tom
Jay Powers
Location: Pacifica, California, United States of America - USA

Post by Jay Powers »

The past year has seen a dramatic increase in the numbers of vintages, houses, and tawny ports that I have tried, which I attribute largely to this site and the Portugal trip earlier this year.

The most significant change for me has been a significant increase in appreciation for old Colheitas.

Jay