Decanting a 1963 Fonseca

This forum is for discussing all things Port (as in from PORTugal) - vintages, recommendations, tasting notes, etc.

Moderators: Glenn E., Roy Hersh, Andy Velebil

Don B.

Decanting a 1963 Fonseca

Post by Don B. »

I have to help taste a bottle of 1963 Fonseca in the near future. All advice will be welcome as to the decanting timing. Thanks, Don
Ronald Wortel

Re: Decanting a 1963 Fonseca

Post by Ronald Wortel »

Don B. wrote:I have to help taste a bottle of 1963 Fonseca in the near future.
What a horrible task to have.... :wink:
I would say it depends on the number of people you're drinking this with. If you are with a small part I would open, decant and follow it over a couple of hours to see the development. If you are with a larger number, this is not possible so I would go with a maximum of 3 hours to give it some time to come together, but still retain its backbone.
My recommendation is probably shorter than that of some others here, but I don't like very long decants. All depends on personal preference.
But enough about me, what do YOU think of me? -- Johnny Bravo
John Vachon

Post by John Vachon »

I would stand up the bottle for a minimum of 3 days-better 7 days before decanting.
Glenn E.
Location: Sammamish, Washington, United States of America - USA

Post by Glenn E. »

John Vachon wrote:I would stand up the bottle for a minimum of 3 days-better 7 days before decanting.
Yes, definitely. Even better, if you can manage it, stand it up at a 45-degree angle and then decant with that "corner" of the bottle down. It will help keep the sediment in the bottle.

As for decant time, Ronald gives good advice. If it's a large group I'd probably decant for 4-5 hours, though. 3 hours sounds about right for the starting point for a small group to me. I suspect that it will peak at around 5-6 hours.
Glenn Elliott
Roy Hersh
Site Admin

Post by Roy Hersh »

4 hours.
Ambition driven by passion, rather than money, is as strong an elixir as is Port. http://www.fortheloveofport.com
Andy Velebil
Location: Los Angeles, California, United States of America - USA

Post by Andy Velebil »

4-6 hours is my rec.
Andy Velebil Good wine is a good familiar creature if it be well used. William Shakespeare http://www.fortheloveofport.com
Don B.

Post by Don B. »

Thanks for all the great advice. I will be able to have it at the 45 degree angle for days before tonging it and decanting. I will probably do it just before the dinner starts and hopefully, by the end of the meal it will be able to show its stuff. I will let you know how it turns out. The last one of these that I did was about 6 years ago and it showed magnificently!