1985 horizontal, Seattle, Jan 24-25 2015

This site is for discussion of travel to the "Land of Port & Madeira" as well as food related to Port or Portugal. Additionally your Offline tasting events can be planned and reviewed here.

Moderators: Glenn E., Roy Hersh, Andy Velebil

Glenn E.
Location: Sammamish, Washington, United States of America - USA

Re: 1985 horizontal, Seattle, Jan 24-25 2015

Post by Glenn E. »

Moses Botbol wrote:
Glenn E. wrote:
The lone "big name" that I'm missing is Niepoort, but that should be easy enough to obtain. I'm also missing a Souza, but surely someone purchased one of those in the FTLOP buying opportunity. (I only bought a bunch of 1987 - anniversary year.)
I have the '85 Niepoort's to accompany the Hoopers....
Are you joining us? Your first post wasn't clear... I'll add you to the list just in case since it's close to full already!
Glenn Elliott
Roy Hersh
Site Admin

Post by Roy Hersh »

I checked my cellar and have 11 producers, but you have them all on your list already.

Additionally, I found these 18 others available and think that the rest of the participants could bring some to the party too. With your 25, this would give us a total of 43. We could do a killer event. I just participated in a 6 hour tasting of 39 bottles of 1994 VP's. I'm not suggesting we try for something like that, however, over two days ... if we were able to procure even 15 of the others and wound up with 40 or so, that would be worth trying. I know Sean has some oddities, so Glenn you should be in touch with him FIRST and find out what he can add and then the rest of us can figure out what to bring/purchase. Also you and I should re-discuss the venue/room situation.

Delaforce
Feist
Gonzalez Byass
Guedes
Hutcheson
Kopke's Quinta Sao Luiz
Krohn
Messias
Morgan
Pocas
Quinta da Baldias
Quinta da Romaneira
Quinta do Infantado
Rabello Valente
Real Companhia Velha
Romariz
Rozes
Van Zeller
Ambition driven by passion, rather than money, is as strong an elixir as is Port. http://www.fortheloveofport.com
Lindsay E.

Post by Lindsay E. »

Glenn, any room left for me? Looks like one spot might still be available. If so, I'm in and I'll source whatever we need and are still missing.

-Lindsay
Moses Botbol

Post by Moses Botbol »

Glenn E. wrote:
Moses Botbol wrote:
Glenn E. wrote:
The lone "big name" that I'm missing is Niepoort, but that should be easy enough to obtain. I'm also missing a Souza, but surely someone purchased one of those in the FTLOP buying opportunity. (I only bought a bunch of 1987 - anniversary year.)
I have the '85 Niepoort's to accompany the Hoopers....
Are you joining us? Your first post wasn't clear... I'll add you to the list just in case since it's close to full already!
Unfortunately, I think I'll be in Singapore... Just being a wise guy with my post. :stir:
Welsh Corgis | F1 |British Cars
Andy Velebil
Location: Los Angeles, California, United States of America - USA

Post by Andy Velebil »

My inventory says I have one bottle of 1985 Krohn VP. I'll verify in person in the coming weeks once I get down to my offsite. But add it to the line up.
Andy Velebil Good wine is a good familiar creature if it be well used. William Shakespeare http://www.fortheloveofport.com
Tom D.

Post by Tom D. »

Roy Hersh wrote:
... With your 25, this would give us a total of 43...
[kez_11.gif] I hope you plan on making spitting mandatory :D
Tom D.
Lisa Stevens

Post by Lisa Stevens »

The only 1985 I have is the Smith Woodhouse, but you already know that Glenn. I missed out on the 1985 Souza by not getting my order in quickly. I ended up with the other three.

-Lisa
Glenn E.

Post by Glenn E. »

Lindsay E. wrote:Glenn, any room left for me? Looks like one spot might still be available. If so, I'm in and I'll source whatever we need and are still missing.
Yep! I added you.
Moses Botbol wrote:Unfortunately, I think I'll be in Singapore... Just being a wise guy with my post. :stir:
Bummer. :( I took you off the list. If we aren't able to find another Niepoort, would you be interested in selling yours?
Glenn Elliott
Moses Botbol

Post by Moses Botbol »

Glenn E. wrote:
Moses Botbol wrote:Unfortunately, I think I'll be in Singapore... Just being a wise guy with my post. :stir:
Bummer. :( I took you off the list. If we aren't able to find another Niepoort, would you be interested in selling yours?
It's not one of Niepoort's finest vintages, FWIW. Well I should say, I have had one bottle so far next to '85 Fonseca and the Niepoort really fell short.
Welsh Corgis | F1 |British Cars
Eric Menchen

Post by Eric Menchen »

Feist for sale: http://www.winebid.com/BuyWine/Item/4872674/1985-Feist
I could buy it, but there is no point in shipping to CO to then turn around and ship to WA. I'll contribute $ to this or to the grand bottle pool. Oh, and I'm still boycotting WineBid in support of Bradley.
Glenn E.

Post by Glenn E. »

Yeah I'm not buying from WineBid either.

I updated the first post with Roy's list so that it's easier for people to find. I'll keep the two lists updated as people post.
Glenn Elliott
Marc J.

Post by Marc J. »

I'm in!!!! I do have a number of the Ports that you're still looking for (Niepoort, Rebello Valente, Guedes, Delaforce, ect.), so if needed I can contibute to the cause.
Bradley Bogdan

Post by Bradley Bogdan »

Marc J. wrote:I'm in!!!! I do have a number of the Ports that you're still looking for (Niepoort, Rebello Valente, Guedes, Delaforce, ect.), so if needed I can contibute to the cause.
I'd be happy to chip in extra for additional bottles to be added, ultimately Id prefer to do that where possible in this instance since so many here seem to already have bottles, and seeking out ones on the market now probably carries additional risk and shipping costs.

Also, thanks for the continued support guys. I had to chuckle, as I got excited about a few of the oddballs with low prices on wine-searcher when I looked yesterday, only to rule them out when I saw the seller...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalkz. U
-Brad

Glenn E.

Post by Glenn E. »

Marc J. wrote:I'm in!!!! I do have a number of the Ports that you're still looking for (Niepoort, Rebello Valente, Guedes, Delaforce, ect.), so if needed I can contibute to the cause.
Last man in! ;) I marked you down for all 4 of those bottles. Please let me know exactly what you can bring, and if possible ship them up here ahead of time so that they can settle down from the travel shock.
Bradley Bogdan wrote:I'd be happy to chip in extra for additional bottles to be added, ultimately Id prefer to do that where possible in this instance since so many here seem to already have bottles, and seeking out ones on the market now probably carries additional risk and shipping costs.
I plan to simply add up all the costs and divide by the number of attendees so that everyone chips in the same amount. If you're bringing a bottle (or two, or four) then your cost will be deducted from what you owe. In some cases I'm sure there will be people who get money back also. (Marc, for example, if he brings 4+ bottles, and Sandy since the Nacional is such an expensive bottle.)

Roy and I have not finalized room arrangements yet, either, so there may be a small fee added in to help offset that as well. In the past Roy has rented the room for us out of his own pocket, but the Holiday Inn keeps trying to raise rates on us so that's getting to be a pretty fair chunk of change. A 2-day event just makes it even more so. I'll update this thread (in the first post) as I get information on all of the costs.
Glenn Elliott
Eric Menchen

Post by Eric Menchen »

Glenn E. wrote:... but the Holiday Inn keeps trying to raise rates on us so that's getting to be a pretty fair chunk of change. A 2-day event just makes it even more so.
Maybe if we commit to some number of rooms at a reasonable rate they'll be a little more flexible?
Glenn E.

Post by Glenn E. »

Eric Menchen wrote:
Glenn E. wrote:... but the Holiday Inn keeps trying to raise rates on us so that's getting to be a pretty fair chunk of change. A 2-day event just makes it even more so.
Maybe if we commit to some number of rooms at a reasonable rate they'll be a little more flexible?
I suspect that Roy has tried that (he negotiates the room for us), but it's a good idea.
Glenn Elliott
Bradley Bogdan

Post by Bradley Bogdan »

Glenn E. wrote:
Eric Menchen wrote:
I suspect that Roy has tried that (he negotiates the room for us), but it's a good idea.
I usually stay there as well if it helps

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalkz. U
-Brad

Lindsay E.

Post by Lindsay E. »

Glenn,

I've purchased all the baguettes for the last two local tastings we've done. I assume people will want bread again this time (I know I will!) Would you like me to handle that again this time? I've been sourcing the baguettes from the French Bakery and many people seem to like those. And will we want bread for both days? Let me know your thoughts.

-Lindsay
Glenn E.

Post by Glenn E. »

Lindsay E. wrote:I've purchased all the baguettes for the last two local tastings we've done. I assume people will want bread again this time (I know I will!) Would you like me to handle that again this time? I've been sourcing the baguettes from the French Bakery and many people seem to like those. And will we want bread for both days? Let me know your thoughts.
That would be great, thanks!

I don't think we need 1 baguette per person per day, though. If we have 10 baguettes for 16 people each day I think that should cover us nicely, though that may change depending on just how many Ports we manage to acquire. :drunk: Remember that these are planned to be afternoon sessions, so everyone should have just eaten lunch when we get started and we'll be breaking (hopefully) just in time for dinner.

We can settle on a number closer to the event once we have a final count of bottles, and then we'll add that cost to the total before dividing it up amongst all of the participants.
Glenn Elliott
Glenn E.

Post by Glenn E. »

I added a note on costs to the first post. In short, it still looks like about $120 per person for Port, with an additional $40 per person to cover the cost of renting conference rooms from the Holiday Inn for two days. I'll keep you posted as we get information!
Glenn Elliott