What Port(s) have you purchased this week?

This forum is for discussing all things Port (as in from PORTugal) - vintages, recommendations, tasting notes, etc.

Moderators: Glenn E., Roy Hersh, Andy Velebil

Andy Velebil
Location: Los Angeles, California, United States of America - USA

Re: What Port(s) have you purchased this week?

Post by Andy Velebil »

Roy Hersh wrote:While in Edmonton a few more bottles of 2011 Quinta de Vargellas for the equivalent of $150 USD.
I assume the Vinha Velha given the price?
Andy Velebil Good wine is a good familiar creature if it be well used. William Shakespeare http://www.fortheloveofport.com
Roy Hersh
Site Admin

Post by Roy Hersh »

Why, have you seen a Vargellas from 2011 that is not the old vine version? [foilhat.gif]
Ambition driven by passion, rather than money, is as strong an elixir as is Port. http://www.fortheloveofport.com
Eric Menchen

Post by Eric Menchen »

Put in a strong bid (IMHO) for 1991 Croft in the Zachy's online auction, as well as a low bid for the lot of 1975 Fonseca and 1983 Cockburn, which I know is gambling lot. I was thinking about bidding on the 1991 Warres, 1985 Grahams, and 1985 Fonseca; but those already have bids so I thought I'd check here before driving up the price on another FTLOPer. Anyone else bidding at Zachy's this month? Oh, there happens to be a 1935 Niepoort Colhieta in that auction as well, but as it is already at $480+22.5% for a single bottle, I'm not planning on bidding for that one.
Andy Velebil

Post by Andy Velebil »

Roy Hersh wrote:Why, have you seen a Vargellas from 2011 that is not the old vine version? [foilhat.gif]
Well, maybe, but it was being sold by a guy named Rudy :lol: Just clarifying for those here who aren't up on following every Port produced or not produced.
Andy Velebil Good wine is a good familiar creature if it be well used. William Shakespeare http://www.fortheloveofport.com
Glenn E.
Location: Sammamish, Washington, United States of America - USA

Post by Glenn E. »

Picked up 4 more 1985 Gould Campbells from WTSO
Glenn Elliott
Eric Menchen

Post by Eric Menchen »

Andy Velebil wrote:Just clarifying for those here who aren't up on following every Port produced or not produced.
Thank you Andy. I too was initially confused, or as least questioning.
R Bull

Post by R Bull »

Andreas and Allan:

I hope this is not a breach of protocol but I was wondering where you were able to find the vintage Niepoort. I have found it particularly challenging to find vintage Niepoort in the USA. I did noticed the Munich Wine Company has an auction at the end of the month which contains a nice selection of Niepoort, although nothing pre-1944. many thanks,

Bob
Todd Pettinger

Post by Todd Pettinger »

It has been a long time since my last post, and honestly, I haven't purchased many bottles of VP since posting from a few years ago - my habit was starting to catch up with me and funds were getting a bit limited for these types of discretionary spends. This week though I ran into Roy at the Seattle airport (of all places! [shok.gif] ) and was motivated to take a few minutes after a business dinner to seek out a Total Wines & More near SeaTac. Purchased a 375 of Quinta do Vale Meao (TN posted!) and enjoyed it immensely despite less than ideal conditions with a pop-n-pour in the hotel room into a LARGE red wine glass.

Paid $40 for the half, and even with a brutal CDN-USD exchange rate, still cheaper than I could get back home.

Was very tempted to pick up a half case of 1994 Grahams they had for <$90/bottle but have no way to get it home this trip. May have to come back with a wine shipper and do the right thing next time I'm in town.

Todd
Mahmoud Ali

Post by Mahmoud Ali »

Hi Todd,

Nice to hear from you after all this time. Roy mentioned that he ran into you in another post:

http://www.fortheloveofport.com/ftlopfo ... =1&t=37748

Anyway, I notice your interest in a '94 Graham but if you're interested in a '94 Vesuvio I can get a hold of a bottle or two for C$90. In addition, as mentioned in the linked post, I can also get some Fonseca, Guimaraens, and Panascal at pretty keen prices.

Let me know, and maybe we can get together and open a bottle or two of port during the Christmas season.

Cheers........................Mahmoud
R Bull

Post by R Bull »

Picked up 2 bottles of 1994 Vesuvio for $60/bottle and 3 bottles of 2003 Vesuvio for $45/bottle
Eric Menchen

Post by Eric Menchen »

R Bull wrote:Picked up 2 bottles of 1994 Vesuvio for $60/bottle and 3 bottles of 2003 Vesuvio for $45/bottle
Nice [cheers.gif]
Monique Heinemans.

Post by Monique Heinemans. »

2 x 2008 Fonseca Panascal VP
Lars F

Post by Lars F »

2 Smith Woodhouse Madelena 1996 VP
1 Smith woodhouse LBV 2002

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Allan Engelsted Laurents

Post by Allan Engelsted Laurents »

R Bull wrote:Andreas and Allan:

I hope this is not a breach of protocol but I was wondering where you were able to find the vintage Niepoort. I have found it particularly challenging to find vintage Niepoort in the USA. I did noticed the Munich Wine Company has an auction at the end of the month which contains a nice selection of Niepoort, although nothing pre-1944. many thanks,

Bob
Hi Bob
Pure luck from my part. I found "the salesroom.com", and Maby 50 auctions appeared, also this specifik German one.
The bottles where All old Niepoorts Garrafeira or ancient Colheitas. And the prices where very good. The Munich Wine Company, has a lot higher prices
I Think it was an old winedealers cellar.

I tend to by my Port from either Portugal or from Germany.

Happy hunting Bob

Allan
R Bull

Post by R Bull »

Allan:

Many thanks. The hunt can often be enjoyable albeit sometimes nerve wracking
Roy Hersh
Site Admin

Post by Roy Hersh »

That is why we are here Bob. We will do our best to provide insight and answer any of your questions in support of your Port buying adventures, online or otherwise. [cheers.gif]
Ambition driven by passion, rather than money, is as strong an elixir as is Port. http://www.fortheloveofport.com
R Bull

Post by R Bull »

Roy:

Very much appreciated. Great forum and the experience and insights of the members are truly icing on the cake.

Bob
Mahmoud Ali

Post by Mahmoud Ali »

R Bull wrote:Picked up 2 bottles of 1994 Vesuvio for $60/bottle and 3 bottles of 2003 Vesuvio for $45/bottle
Sure, rub it in, posting this right after I mention that the '94 Vesuvio is available for $90 here in Edmonton. Of course at the current the exchange rate it's US$80 but that's still a 25% difference. Grrrrrrrrrrrhhh, it's not fair I tell you.

Mahmoud
Andy Velebil

Post by Andy Velebil »

Mahmoud Ali wrote:
Sure, rub it in, posting this right after I mention that the '94 Vesuvio is available for $90 here in Edmonton. Of course at the current the exchange rate it's US$80 but that's still a 25% difference. Grrrrrrrrrrrhhh, it's not fair I tell you.

Mahmoud
You better not look at what the UK is paying for good VP, you'll faint
Eric Menchen

Post by Eric Menchen »

Eric Menchen wrote:Put in a strong bid (IMHO) for 1991 Croft in the Zachy's online auction, as well as a low bid for the lot of 1975 Fonseca and 1983 Cockburn, which I know is gambling lot. I was thinking about bidding on the 1991 Warres, 1985 Grahams, and 1985 Fonseca; but those already have bids so I thought I'd check here before driving up the price on another FTLOPer. Anyone else bidding at Zachy's this month? Oh, there happens to be a 1935 Niepoort Colhieta in that auction as well, but as it is already at $480+22.5% for a single bottle, I'm not planning on bidding for that one.
12x 1991 Croft VP
I was outbid on the 1985 Grahams and Fonseca, which got a lot of bidding, as well as the mixed lot of 1975 Fonseca and 1983 Cockburn. The one that really annoyed me, however, was the 13x 1991 Warres in 375ml. I had a max bid of $180 in early on and it sat at 140 until the last day, at which point someone outbid me at 200. Meanwhile, a lot of 8x 1991 Warres in 750 (nearly 25% more volume) went for $180. I guess someone really wanted 375s. C'est la vie.