What have you opened this week?

This forum is for discussing all things Port (as in from PORTugal) - vintages, recommendations, tasting notes, etc.

Moderators: Glenn E., Roy Hersh, Andy Velebil

Eric Menchen

Re: What have you opened this week?

Post by Eric Menchen »

1980 Gould Campbell, 375, my last one. Time to find some more 375s, maybe that lot of 1994s @ Zachy's.

Sent from my XT1060 using Tapatalk
dom carter

Post by dom carter »

Due to 6 months unemployment; funds were such that Port had taken a back seat, but as it's Xmas and i restarted employment 3 weeks ago - Port was in order!

Grahams (bottled 2002) Crusted Port; and i must say very drinkable for under $22 i paid for it!

Crusted Port, i Believe, doesn't get the limelight it deserves given the amount of LBV drunk (i'm as guilty as the next person!!!), but these young ports mixed together seem to be greater than the sum of their parts in this bottle.
David Co

Post by David Co »

Roys daughter namesake in the 85 vintage. The taylor 85 I opened was great, was a taken back by its light color to the point I thought perhaps the bottle was off. The cherries and flowers on the nose put my concerns to rest and the velvety silky feel and taste put my concerns to bed. Me and friend polished the bottle before I could see it evolve (under 90 minutes from first sip to last sip) although I did let it breathe for 4 hours before drinking. Used port tongs but semi failure as I clamped a tad too high on the neck so when glass broke a little bit of cork fell down the remainder of the neck.
Andy Velebil
Location: Los Angeles, California, United States of America - USA

Post by Andy Velebil »

dom carter wrote:Due to 6 months unemployment; funds were such that Port had taken a back seat, but as it's Xmas and i restarted employment 3 weeks ago - Port was in order!

Grahams (bottled 2002) Crusted Port; and i must say very drinkable for under $22 i paid for it!

Crusted Port, i Believe, doesn't get the limelight it deserves given the amount of LBV drunk (i'm as guilty as the next person!!!), but these young ports mixed together seem to be greater than the sum of their parts in this bottle.
Congrats on the new job!! [cheers.gif]
Andy Velebil Good wine is a good familiar creature if it be well used. William Shakespeare http://www.fortheloveofport.com
Andy Velebil

Post by Andy Velebil »

Having a gathering with friends this afternoon and while most of our drinking today will most likely consist of Champagne and Burgundy (red and white), I've just decanted a 1970 Quinta do Noval VP for the evening drinking.
Andy Velebil Good wine is a good familiar creature if it be well used. William Shakespeare http://www.fortheloveofport.com
Eric Menchen

Post by Eric Menchen »

Tonged and decanted a 1970 Fonseca.
dom carter

Post by dom carter »

Andy Velebil wrote:
dom carter wrote:Due to 6 months unemployment; funds were such that Port had taken a back seat, but as it's Xmas and i restarted employment 3 weeks ago - Port was in order!

Congrats on the new job!! [cheers.gif]
Thanks - just got to wait another 3 weeks for the first pay check! Maybe some port will get purchased then (after bills of course!!)
Al B.

Post by Al B. »

For our Christmas offline I used tongs to open a bottle of Port from 1904 (that's what the wax seal had stamped on it) but there was no branding on the cork so no idea who the shipper was.

A couple of days later I opened a bottle of Churchill 1985, which showed really well. Christmas Day was a bottle of Chateau Talbot 1983 and over the weekend just gone I opened a cellar defender - a bottle of Dow's Christmas Reserve port (which the back label accurately describes as having notes of cherries and nutmeg). It didn't show well on a pop 'n' pour basis but was soft, fruity and had gentle chocolate tannins 24 hours later.

One more bottle to go this year, but since the person I plan to share it with is a regular here I won't say what it will be - don't want to spoil the surprise for him!
Roy Hersh
Site Admin

Post by Roy Hersh »

One a day over the past three while here in Michigan:

2005 Quinta do Portal VP

S. Leonardo 30 year old Tawny

Tonight a 1990 Malvedos Centenary VP
Ambition driven by passion, rather than money, is as strong an elixir as is Port. http://www.fortheloveofport.com
Mark Ellis

Post by Mark Ellis »

Cockburn's 2000 VP. Marvelous to this freshman port drinker.
Andy Velebil

Post by Andy Velebil »

Mark Ellis wrote:Cockburn's 2000 VP. Marvelous to this freshman port drinker.
A nice bottle and the about the beginning of their current rise back in quality. Glad you enjoyed it
David Spriggs
Location: Boulder Creek, California, United States of America - USA

Post by David Spriggs »

1952 Kopke Colheita -- Superb!!
John M.

Post by John M. »

Just stood up six bottles for Friday...to be served in pairs

1977 Dows
2000 Dows

1981 Ferreira LBV
1985 Gould Campbell

2007 Quarles Harris LBV
2008 Quinta do Noval LBV
Any Port in a storm!
Eric Ifune

Post by Eric Ifune »

Casa Ste. Eufemia Reserve Special White.
Allan Engelsted Laurents

Post by Allan Engelsted Laurents »

Friday night....Just sitting with an old Borges Tawny. I have no idea of age. The color is pure liquid caramell. And the taste is round and smooth. Nice long aftertaste. Still full of life. My estimate after having my share of older Tawnies, I would say Maby 50 years old, or even more?

Posted this picture in October(in the departement for purchased Ports), but this time, I am drinking the bottle.
Attachments
image.jpg
image.jpg (143.21 KiB) Viewed 4067 times
Roy Hersh
Site Admin

Post by Roy Hersh »

1977 Gould Campbell VP
Ambition driven by passion, rather than money, is as strong an elixir as is Port. http://www.fortheloveofport.com
R Bull

Post by R Bull »

2011 Fonseca
Roy Hersh
Site Admin

Post by Roy Hersh »

That '77 Gould Campbell smelled incredible when I poured it into the decanter and again when poured into the bottle. Three hours later, when it was finally poured ... corked. :beat:
Andy Velebil

Post by Andy Velebil »

Roy Hersh wrote:That '77 Gould Campbell smelled incredible when I poured it into the decanter and again when poured into the bottle. Three hours later, when it was finally poured ... corked. :beat:
I'm slowly coming to the conclusion it's best for most 1977's to simply pop and pour them and skip the long decants. Taking a cue from the lessons we've learned with the 1983 Cockburn.
Allan Engelsted Laurents

Post by Allan Engelsted Laurents »

Just for the information: Its a Sandeman [cheers.gif] [cheers.gif]

Allmost as bright as appeljuice.
Old, rich and with a long aftertaste.
Attachments
image.jpg
image.jpg (179.87 KiB) Viewed 3991 times