Are you seeking an 1815 Ferreira Vintage Port?

This forum is for discussing all things Port (as in from PORTugal) - vintages, recommendations, tasting notes, etc.

Moderators: Glenn E., Roy Hersh, Andy Velebil

Roy Hersh
Site Admin

Post by Roy Hersh »

I've only had it once, but a visit to Ferreira showed they had 24 bottles left from this vintage and coincidentally, we saw them being recorked while we were at their lodge.

http://eng.sograpevinhos.com/blog/2014/ ... tage-port/
Ambition driven by passion, rather than money, is as strong an elixir as is Port. http://www.fortheloveofport.com
Eric Menchen

Re: Are you seeking an 1815 Ferreira Vintage Port?

Post by Eric Menchen »

So I'm guessing this isn't sweet. And while it is probably beyond my budget, they didn't say who would be auctioning it.

Sent from my XT1060 using Tapatalk
Andy Velebil
Location: Los Angeles, California, United States of America - USA

Post by Andy Velebil »

Eric Menchen wrote:So I'm guessing this isn't sweet. And while it is probably beyond my budget, they didn't say who would be auctioning it.

Sent from my XT1060 using Tapatalk
I am sure this will sell for a mighty penny.

I've also had this and there are a couple of TN's in the TNDB (which mine doesn't show up, will check on that). It's more educational at this point than anything else. As it was the very early days for VP as we know it today its not really known exactly how it was made or how long after it was bottled (it was common then to bottle more than 2 years after harvest like they do now). So if you're buying it for a great but still youthful bottle of VP you're in for a serious let down. If however, you're like many of us here who love to try these older things for the educational value then worth it if you can afford it.
Andy Velebil Good wine is a good familiar creature if it be well used. William Shakespeare http://www.fortheloveofport.com
Mahmoud Ali

Post by Mahmoud Ali »

Andy Velebil wrote: So if you're buying it for a great but still youthful bottle of VP you're in for a serious let down.
So Andy, you reckon there are people who might think that an 1815 VP is still youthful?

Mahmoud.
Phil W

Post by Phil W »

Mahmoud Ali wrote:So Andy, you reckon there are people who might think that an 1815 VP is still youthful?
I would be more than willing to test the theory :wink: Old bottles such as this may or may not taste wonderful, but the opportunity to taste them is most definitely a privilege.
Andy Velebil
Location: Los Angeles, California, United States of America - USA

Post by Andy Velebil »

Mahmoud Ali wrote:
Andy Velebil wrote: So if you're buying it for a great but still youthful bottle of VP you're in for a serious let down.
So Andy, you reckon there are people who might think that an 1815 VP is still youthful?

Mahmoud.
What's a polite way to put this. Yes, some people are idiots who think a 200 year old Port will still be this fresh vibrant thing because "I heard Port lasts almost forever, I've got more money than brains, and I want to look cool to my friends for having the oldest bottle on the table." This isn't Madeira we're talking about here. This is a Port where no one knows exactly details about how it was made, I've yet to run across one that does with regards to stuff that old since records have been lost or were never kept to begin with. That's not a big deal but one has to truly understand the time frame any old wine or Port has come from.

In all reality, and based on the number of Vintage Ports I've had that were that old, they tend to be more educational than true pleasurable in the sense most people think (not talking tawny's which have been in barrel for 150 years and topped up with some younger Port along the way, mind you). That said, if I could afford it I would have no issues buying it myself. But I also know what I'm getting into and what to expect or not expect from it.
Andy Velebil Good wine is a good familiar creature if it be well used. William Shakespeare http://www.fortheloveofport.com
Daniel Jewesbury

Post by Daniel Jewesbury »

This is a funny year; the end of the Napoleonic era, a transitional time politically, the British still largely in exile; and there's really nothing to say that this is really 'vintage' port as we'd know it. In fact it could be anything. Perhaps if it has more time in wood it's more likely to have withstood two centuries.
But I won't be buying.