n/v Morgado Tawny Port

This forum is for users to post their Port tasting notes.

Moderators: Glenn E., Andy Velebil

Andy Velebil
Location: Los Angeles, California, United States of America - USA

n/v Morgado Tawny Port

Post by Andy Velebil »

While shoping at my local Trader Joe's market this afternoon I saw this Port. Being it was only $6.00, I had never heard of Morgado before, and in my quest to try new things I got a bottle. The label says it is bottled by Sogrape Vinhos, S.A. and "Aged in oak casks," V.N.De Gaia-Portugal.

Color is more of a basic ruby than tawny, simple straight forward nose of plums, the palate is rather simple and one dementional but still pleasant. Nothing flashy on the palate, just some good plums and a touch of chocolate on the finish. Not a block buster tawny, but it ain't no Fairbanks either :wink: One of the better under $10.00 QPR's I've had. 79 points
Last edited by Andy Velebil on Sun Nov 11, 2007 1:23 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Andy Velebil Good wine is a good familiar creature if it be well used. William Shakespeare http://www.fortheloveofport.com
Andy Velebil

Post by Andy Velebil »

Interesting as I have tried to find out about this brand, even Sograpes website does not list it. Can anyone shed some light on this producer?

Thanks
Andy Velebil Good wine is a good familiar creature if it be well used. William Shakespeare http://www.fortheloveofport.com
Derek T.

Post by Derek T. »

Andy,

Have another look at the label - are you sure it doesn't say So-crap Vinhos, S.A. ?

Derek
Andy Velebil

Post by Andy Velebil »

:lol: :lol: Naw, but remember they also have Sandeman....Moragdo ain't no Sandeman though :shock:
Andy Velebil

Post by Andy Velebil »

Btw, you recognize my avatar?
Derek T.

Post by Derek T. »

Yes i do - but I don't think everyone needs to know that I know what the pillows looked like on your bed in Portugal :shock:

Derek
Andy Velebil

Post by Andy Velebil »

BTW, my name is ANDY...not Jo :wink: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Derek T.

Post by Derek T. »

But thay night you said your name was Angela :lol: :lol:
Andy Velebil

Post by Andy Velebil »

I though we agreed, what happens in the Douro stays in the Douro :wink: :shock: :lol: :lol: :lol:

PS. Sorry for the thread drift folks
Tom Archer

Post by Tom Archer »

the palate is rather simple and one dementional
- So a wine for the Altzheimers brigade then.... :shock:

Tom
Andy Velebil

Post by Andy Velebil »

Yeap, Just tell them its a NN 1963, they wont remember in the morning anyways :lol:

P.S. Stewart, when do we get spell checker on the forum, as you can see I am a better drinker....
Derek T.

Post by Derek T. »

Stuart - I cood also doo with a spell chequer 8)
Nikolaj Winther

Post by Nikolaj Winther »

In Denmark, one of the large supermarket-chains has bottles and bottles of Porto Morgado Vintage Port (1987) at a very nice price (around 20US$).

It bottled by Forrester and it's caused quite some confusion around the Wine/port sites in Denmark.

Henrik Oldenburg, a danish wine journalist and author of the book "Port" was able to tell us something about it.

It seems that Morgado was in fact an actual company back in the day. However, along with a number of other producers they were bought by Ferreira. Now the name is being used as a BOB (buyers own brand) for this particular port. Early bottles I bought had two foil-capsules, a black one on the outside and a blue one beneath that one. It looked like some damaged bottle that was now being sold off on a BOB-lable.

But I've never seen any other Morgade-wine except this 87 VP.

BTW, I can tell you, that the wine has a wonderful nose, delicate attac and medium taste, with loads of acidity finishing quite dry. I'd say Keep for another 5-10 years.
What I lack in size I make up for in obnoxiousness.
Andy Velebil

Post by Andy Velebil »

Nikolaj,

Thanks for the info. Sounds like you found a great deal on a 20 yr old VP for a cheap price. Heck, for that price I'd suggest buy all you can and use it for your everyday house-Port.
It bottled by Forrester and it's caused quite some confusion around the Wine/port sites in Denmark.
What was the confusion it caused?
Early bottles I bought had two foil-capsules, a black one on the outside and a blue one beneath that one.
This is fairly common with some ex-cellars bottles. They put a thin capsule on then, years later, when they re-release the bottles, the bottles get cleaned and a regular capsule is put on top of the first one (along with a new label). I've seen a lot of Symington's bottles like this. That may explain the dual capsules?
Mike Halerz
Location: Ann Arbor, Michigan, United States of America - USA

Post by Mike Halerz »

There was a thread on the eBob a while back about the 87 VP, which at least one member suggested was Offley Boa Vista VP that TJs had bought and rebranded. By me, the Morgado 87 VP was $9.99 (!!) and we also have a ruby (either $5 or $6), tawny (same price) and 10yr tawny ($11) available.

The 87 VP was clearly the winner of that bunch for my taste. The 10yr wasn't bad, but didn't match up to other 10yrs or even other "normal" tawnies I've had at the same price.
Andy Velebil

Post by Andy Velebil »

Mike,
Welcome to the forum, glad to have you posting here. My TJ's only has the cheap tawny, no VP or 10 yr old. I was just there today shoping, and am keeping my eye out for the '87. For that price sounds like a great "house" VP.
Mike Halerz

Post by Mike Halerz »

Andy V. wrote:Mike,
Welcome to the forum, glad to have you posting here. My TJ's only has the cheap tawny, no VP or 10 yr old. I was just there today shoping, and am keeping my eye out for the '87. For that price sounds like a great "house" VP.
Thanks Andy!

Group buy? :D

I'm headed to TJs in the next day or two. Last time I saw the 87, a friend and I bought out the rest (a handful of bottles). I think they're reloaded since then. Would be happy to figure out a way to ship to anyone interested in checking it out...

I thought the 87 was still drinking pretty young. It definitely improved on day two. Up against a magnum of 77 Warre's, it was surprisingly drinkable even without much decanting.
D. Pirmann
Location: Hoboken, New Jersey, United States of America - USA

Post by D. Pirmann »

Friday nite, the Manhattan/Union Square TJ had the Morgado 10 Yr Tawny and the '87 Vintage. They also had a Quarles Harris 10 Tawny. (Also a couple of young ruby & tawny from Morgado, Quarles Harris, and the Warre Warrior).
Mike Halerz

Post by Mike Halerz »

Here's one of the links from the eBob:
http://dat.erobertparker.com/bboard/sho ... ht=morgado

This is one of the threads that got me wondering whether this was Offley Boa Vista...
Nikolaj Winther

Post by Nikolaj Winther »

Andy V. wrote:What was the confusion it caused?
Well, it was hard to find out who made it, and "why".

BoB's aren't that common in DK and many had tried to find out who this Morgado was.

Not much comes up on the web. To read, that it was bought by Ferreira only made confusion that much bigger, as it was clearly bottled by Forrester.

Then there was some arguing wether it was bona fide or if it was some sort of hack. mainly because of the low price and the large amount of bottles in every single supermarket (of that particular chain).
Andy V. wrote:This is fairly common with some ex-cellars bottles. They put a thin capsule on then, years later, when they re-release the bottles, the bottles get cleaned and a regular capsule is put on top of the first one (along with a new label). I've seen a lot of Symington's bottles like this. That may explain the dual capsules?
It sounds plausible. However, recent bottles does only have a single capsule. "Early" bottles all looked like they'd been submerged in water, as a fine layer of what looked like encrusted mud covered parts of the bottles. Later bottles don't have this, so clearly it's from two different shipments.

This dosen't lower the confusion however, as you don't know if it's the "same" wine you've bought. But at that price, who cares.
What I lack in size I make up for in obnoxiousness.