Fairbanks "California Port"

For things that don't fit into the other categories.

Moderators: Glenn E., Roy Hersh, Andy Velebil

SEAN C.
Location: Brooklyn,, New York, United States of America - USA

Fairbanks "California Port"

Post by SEAN C. »

I happened across this rare specimen (double magnum and a half size) in a local liquor store several days ago and decided for $13 I couldn't live without it. After successfully removing the screw cap intact! I decanted for 3 1/2 minutes and poured my first serving into a plastic disposable cup in my office. The first sip revealed hints of artificial grape juice and sugar with slight isopropyl alcohol tones. After continuing to imbibe this wonderful California Port I began to notice a more pronounced grape syrup drink mix-like flavor. My vote ...TWO THUMBS UP!
A valuable learning experience and a reminder that if and/or when I ever hit "skid row" I will stick to the cheap hard liquor and stay clear of the inferior Port related products! :shock:
Moses Botbol

Funniest Thing...

Post by Moses Botbol »

I went to my girlfriend's parents house on x-mas day. She told them that I like port and her mother bought the same stuff! Like fortified grape juice. Not too bad when you put in perspective, but I'll stick to the '85 Grahams... I did not find this stuff much below the base offerings of the big guys in the "ruby" category. $7-8 a jug, what do you expect?
Welsh Corgis | F1 |British Cars
Tom Archer

Post by Tom Archer »

A beautifully honest TN 8)

Could someone firebomb the Fairbanks factory?

- I'm sure the smoke will smell better than the wine tastes :D

Tom
SEAN C.
Location: Brooklyn,, New York, United States of America - USA

Post by SEAN C. »

:D I'm not sure why my post was moved out of the "virtual tasting room" forum ..I have actually always been curious as to how bad some of the screw-cap varieties of so called "Port" are. I NEVER usually drink anything non-vintage, no 10 year Tawnys, LBV's, Ruby's, etc..I just prefer vintage Ports. So for me this was a real experiment...I figured if the crappy "Fairbanks Port" was even close to as good as the worst 10 years Tawny I've ever had it would be worth buying. However it's safe to say that the Fairbanks is an insult to the word "Port"! I'd love to hear a review of the other "Taylor Port" from NY state! :roll:
Andy Velebil
Location: Los Angeles, California, United States of America - USA

Post by Andy Velebil »

The virtual tasting section is for the monthly tastings of predetermined Ports. Sorry to say the Fairbanks doesn't quite make it, but your a much braver man than I to even try such a thing....may i recommend Thunderbird next time :lol:
Andy Velebil Good wine is a good familiar creature if it be well used. William Shakespeare http://www.fortheloveofport.com
Eric Ifune

Post by Eric Ifune »

I was once in the busness. My parents owned a liquour store in South Central LA and I worked there weekends and summers. The prefered tipple of skid row was Sante Fe White Port. $0.58 for 375 ml. 20% alcohol by volume. Thunderbird was $0.65/half bottle.

Post by Guest »

The prefered tipple of skid row was Sante Fe White Port.
That is hilarious! Who says Port is too expensive? Port obviously covers the full spectrum - from '34 Nacional @ $3,000 a bottle to '07 Sante Fe White Port @ $0.58 cents a bottle.

:joker:
Al B.

Post by Al B. »

I feel the urge to organise another blind tasting. Now where can I get a bottle of Santa Fe White Port and who do I know who would be prepared to sacrifice their bottle of Dalva '52 white colheita in the interests of science....

:twisted:

Post by Guest »

Just think of how many bottles....um....cases of Sante Fe you'd have to buy equal the value of the '52 Dalva - LOL.
Andy Velebil
Location: Los Angeles, California, United States of America - USA

Post by Andy Velebil »

Alex,

Just come on over to the city i work in, and you will find plenty of it. And as an appertif, you can pick up a bottle of "Steel Reserve" beer at the same time...makes Super Bock look like a walk in the park :lol:
Andy Velebil Good wine is a good familiar creature if it be well used. William Shakespeare http://www.fortheloveofport.com
Roy Hersh
Site Admin

Post by Roy Hersh »

Reminds me of a high school friend that got hooked on Wild Irish Rose, a cheap by-the-pint high alcohol sweet fortified wine.

Anyway, it is good to know that the use of the word "Port" will no longer be allowed on any new bottlings in the USA. Sadly, at least for now, those already in play may continue to do so under some archaic grandfather exception.

Personally, I'd like to create a "grandmother" clause that would allow little old ladies to get out their frustrations by smashing all known bottles of US produced "Port" with total impunity. :beat:
Ambition driven by passion, rather than money, is as strong an elixir as is Port. http://www.fortheloveofport.com

Better idea

Post by Guest »

OR..the grandmothers could collect them all, and flood the US market with US "Port-Style" Wine right when the next declared vintage is released.

Vintage prices drop in the US, and Stewart is a happy VP drinker...

I could add this as a component of my ever expanding "Evil Plan" :twisted: