What Madeira Have You Opened This Week?

This forum is for discussing all things Madeira - vintages, recommendations, tasting notes, etc.

Moderators: Glenn E., Roy Hersh, Andy Velebil

Glenn E.
Location: Sammamish, Washington, United States of America - USA

Re: What Madeira Have You Opened This Week?

Post by Glenn E. »

Not something that I opened myself, but I got to try a RWC Boston Bual at work today. Apparently one of the other groups on my floor has this thing they call Tasting Thursdays that they've been doing every week at 2:00 pm since 2003. It's typically something sweet(ish), and they have Port fairly regularly. But it all depends on who brings what.

Most of the Port they've had has been Ruby Reserves or LBVs with an occasional 10-yr old, 20-yr old, or young Colheita thrown in. I plan to wow them!

The Boston Bual was better than I expected. It wasn't sweet (compared to Port), but was still noticeably sweeter than most wine that I try and I found it pleasing.
Glenn Elliott
Barry Sunderland

Post by Barry Sunderland »

H & H Terrantez 20 Years
Barry Sunderland

Glenn E. wrote:Not something that I opened myself, but I got to try a RWC Boston Bual at work today. Apparently one of the other groups on my floor has this thing they call Tasting Thursdays that they've been doing every week at 2:00 pm since 2003. It's typically something sweet(ish), and they have Port fairly regularly. But it all depends on who brings what.

Most of the Port they've had has been Ruby Reserves or LBVs with an occasional 10-yr old, 20-yr old, or young Colheita thrown in. I plan to wow them!

The Boston Bual was better than I expected. It wasn't sweet (compared to Port), but was still noticeably sweeter than most wine that I try and I found it pleasing.
What kind of work, Glenn? Sounds like a place where I'd like to work... :D
Glenn E.
Location: Sammamish, Washington, United States of America - USA

Post by Glenn E. »

I'm a Program Manager in Office Engineering at Microsoft. The people who have been running the tastings are all developers, but I'm not quite sure what group they're in.
Glenn Elliott
Goncalo Martins

Post by Goncalo Martins »

V P Poikolainen wrote:
Goncalo Martins wrote:H.M. Borges 30 Yr Malvazia (bottled and released in 2014)
Nice wine! Tasted it in Funchal december 2014. I think a little burnt aftertaste, like usually in Borges wines. [cheers.gif]
Hi!

I simple love this Malmsey: dark amber colour with greenish meniscus. Notes of cinammon, dried fig and orange peel in the nose. Enveloping satin-like softness. Suave and balanced structure. The complexity shows up in increasing intensity at the end, balanced with an acidity that matches the sweetness. Hints of old stuff here. [cheers.gif]

Did not feel the burnt aftertaste.
V P Poikolainen

Post by V P Poikolainen »

Goncalo Martins wrote:
V P Poikolainen wrote:
Goncalo Martins wrote:H.M. Borges 30 Yr Malvazia (bottled and released in 2014)
Nice wine! Tasted it in Funchal december 2014. I think a little burnt aftertaste, like usually in Borges wines. [cheers.gif]
Hi!

I simple love this Malmsey: dark amber colour with greenish meniscus. Notes of cinammon, dried fig and orange peel in the nose. Enveloping satin-like softness. Suave and balanced structure. The complexity shows up in increasing intensity at the end, balanced with an acidity that matches the sweetness. Hints of old stuff here. [cheers.gif]

Did not feel the burnt aftertaste.

Hi!

Yes, it is wery good wine. I think my tasting time was not so good because bottle was just opened? Anyway great wine! For me ABSL wines are THE THING :D
Goncalo Martins

V P Poikolainen wrote: Hi!

Yes, it is wery good wine. I think my tasting time was not so good because bottle was just opened? Anyway great wine! For me ABSL wines are THE THING :D
That may explain it, as this bottle was opened two weeks ago.

Right now, just opened a 1988 Blandy's Malmsey and I believe it will only be better in a few days or even one or two weeks time. :stir:

Which ABSL are you fond of?
V P Poikolainen

Goncalo Martins wrote:
V P Poikolainen wrote: Hi!

That may explain it, as this bottle was opened two weeks ago.

Right now, just opened a 1988 Blandy's Malmsey and I believe it will only be better in a few days or even one or two weeks time. :stir:

Which ABSL are you fond of?
Listrao from Porto Santo is best, but I only have 2 bottles. 1958 bual is allso exelent. Not opened yet ABSL Bastardo or Moscatel, maybe in my 50 y celebrating [dance2.gif]
Edmundo let me taste 1880 bual in december and it was a heavenly!
Goncalo Martins

Thanks! I confess I am a complete ignorant as to ABSL wines... :beat:
V P Poikolainen

Goncalo Martins wrote:Thanks! I confess I am a complete ignorant as to ABSL wines... :beat:

No wonder, because Olim brothers do not export wines! In fact, they have now sell the company to D'Oliveiras..... SAD SAD!!!! :(
I have visited some times in Madeira and allways stop by their Lodge, so maybe we are some kind of friends now with Edmundo? I have 18 botles of ABSL in my collection. Listrao, Bastardo, Moscatel, Terrantez, Boal, Malvazia,Verdelho and not specified doce Extra Reserve... Not old ones, just 1958, 1965, some 1980s. I asked how old the ER is, but he does not know it specific, "maybe 70-80 years old" - in 2007... :D
Gary Banker
Location: Shirley, Massachusetts, United States of America - USA

Post by Gary Banker »

1966 D'Oliveira's verdelho
1971 D'Oliveira's terrantez
1989 D'Oliveira's malvasia
Marc R

Post by Marc R »

1875 Barbeito Malvasia as a primer since there's a mere 7 days until OTBN (open that bottle night). It seemed like a good idea to open up something fun. While it is quite delicious, it isn't as wonderful as its D'Oliveiras counterpart.
Eric Ifune

Post by Eric Ifune »

The RWC James Madison. Very nice.
Matt K

Post by Matt K »

I've have a regular Thursday 'boys night' for ~12 years now. Normally we drink tequila, especially during the summer, but during the winter we mix it up with more wine. This past Thursday it was just 3 of us, myself, my bro and my best friend so I decided to have a Tawny & Madeira night.

Shown in order of consumption - the RWC's were really had out of order but the 3 buals preceding it were pop and pour (as was the Broadbent 10yr) and needed some time to breath so it was the RWC or go backwards to the H&H. Blandy 15yr Malmsey or the 1985 and so we chose the added variety.

mmmMadeira
V P Poikolainen

Matt K wrote:I've have a regular Thursday 'boys night' for ~12 years now. Normally we drink tequila, especially during the summer, but during the winter we mix it up with more wine. This past Thursday it was just 3 of us, myself, my bro and my best friend so I decided to have a Tawny & Madeira night.

Shown in order of consumption - the RWC's were really had out of order but the 3 buals preceding it were pop and pour (as was the Broadbent 10yr) and needed some time to breath so it was the RWC or go backwards to the H&H. Blandy 15yr Malmsey or the 1985 and so we chose the added variety.

WOW!!!! Great Matt!! Impressive line of bottles :thumbsup:
Matt K

Post by Matt K »

Eric Ifune wrote:The RWC James Madison. Very nice.
I have a bottle en route and look forward to trying this. I have an open bottle of the NY Malmsey going and while it's certainly enjoyable it's very sweet and could use some more acidity for my palate. The the NY has improved noticeably since it was first opened.
V P Poikolainen wrote:WOW!!!! Great Matt!! Impressive line of bottles :thumbsup:
Thanks -'tis the season (cool weather) and I'm trying to educate myself quickly.
mmmMadeira
Gary Banker

Post by Gary Banker »

1950 Barbeito Favilla Vieira boal

This was rather acidic the first couple of days, but is less so now.
Barry Sunderland

Gary Banker wrote:1950 Barbeito Favilla Vieira boal

This was rather acidic the first couple of days, but is less so now.

I've gone through 2 bottles. I've loved it. I dig acidity.
Gary Banker

Post by Gary Banker »

1976 Blandy's terrantez
David Spriggs
Location: Boulder Creek, California, United States of America - USA

Post by David Spriggs »

Nice!!