1994 Quarles Harris VP Port $29.99 at TJs!

This forum is for discussing selling, buying and pricing of Port & Madeira.

Moderators: Glenn E., Roy Hersh, Andy Velebil

Barry Sunderland

1994 Quarles Harris VP Port $29.99 at TJs!

Post by Barry Sunderland »

Bought me a bunch at TJs for yes, $29.99! They wanted $39.99 for the 2011.

PnP: Grippy, round, juicy, and mouthfilling. Like an aged, high-quality LBV. Welcome to YumTown.
Glenn E.
Location: Sammamish, Washington, United States of America - USA

Re: 1994 Quarles Harris VP Port $29.99 at TJs!

Post by Glenn E. »

Good grief, which TJ's?

I bought out everything they had in Issaquah (which was 2 bottles), then also cleared out the one near my parents' house in Lee's Summit. But it was $39.99 when I got it and I considered that a steal!

The bottles I've opened have all been excellent... if this "new" batch is the same then everyone should check their local TJ's and clear them out!

P.S. moved this to the Marketplace so it's with the other offers we've found and reported :-)
Glenn Elliott
Mahmoud Ali

Post by Mahmoud Ali »

Fantastic price for a 20 year-old vintage port. I'm envious and wish there was a Trader Joe's here in Edmonton. Congrats to those who score.

Mahmoud.
Barry Sunderland

Glenn E. wrote:Good grief, which TJ's?

I bought out everything they had in Issaquah (which was 2 bottles), then also cleared out the one near my parents' house in Lee's Summit. But it was $39.99 when I got it and I considered that a steal!

The bottles I've opened have all been excellent... if this "new" batch is the same then everyone should check their local TJ's and clear them out!

P.S. moved this to the Marketplace so it's with the other offers we've found and reported :-)

Glenn,

Los Altos, CA
Roy Hersh
Site Admin

Post by Roy Hersh »

I thought the 1994 QH was nice, but I could not call it excellent. Certainly worth of that price though.
Ambition driven by passion, rather than money, is as strong an elixir as is Port. http://www.fortheloveofport.com
Barry Sunderland

Roy Hersh wrote:I thought the 1994 QH was nice, but I could not call it excellent. Certainly worth of that price though.
Daily drinker, yes, but still, it hits the spot. I got a lot of milage with bottle 1 using my Coravin. The cork is nice and springy.
Bradley Bogdan

Post by Bradley Bogdan »

Barry Sunderland wrote:
Roy Hersh wrote:I thought the 1994 QH was nice, but I could not call it excellent. Certainly worth of that price though.
Daily drinker, yes, but still, it hits the spot. I got a lot of milage with bottle 1 using my Coravin. The cork is nice and springy.
Considering the per use cost of a Coravin, is it worth using on a <$30 bottle? I haven't done the math myself, but a couple friends were debating whether the break even point was more in the $35 bottle or $60 bottle range.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalkz. U
-Brad

Glenn E.
Location: Sammamish, Washington, United States of America - USA

Post by Glenn E. »

Bradley Bogdan wrote:
Barry Sunderland wrote:
Considering the per use cost of a Coravin, is it worth using on a <$30 bottle? I haven't done the math myself, but a couple friends were debating whether the break even point was more in the $35 bottle or $60 bottle range.
For wine I would expect the break even to be lower. Partially because wine "goes bad" faster than Port and so needs more preservation, and partially because you'll likely only have to Coravin the bottle once or twice due to larger serving sizes (and then pull the cork to finish the last half of the bottle).

I would also argue that a $35-$60 bottle of Port doesn't need preserving - it will last for a week or more just on the kitchen counter, by which time you'll have probably finished it anyway. Keep the bottle in the fridge if you need more than a week and might very well last a month. Once you get over $100 then you might be talking about a VP that will fade after a day or two if not preserved, but you're also talking enough $$$ for the Coravin to make some sense.
Glenn Elliott