March Madness: The next Port Buying Op - details.

This forum is for discussing selling, buying and pricing of Port & Madeira.

Moderators: Glenn E., Roy Hersh, Andy Velebil

Allan Engelsted Laurents

Re: March Madness: The next Port Buying Op - details.

Post by Allan Engelsted Laurents »

Glenn E. wrote:
Andy Velebil wrote:Anyone getting the 100 year Port? I want to but right now that is not in my budget
I'll be getting at least one. Probably two. Wish I could get three.

Probably 4 x 60. Then some 30 and 40 to replenish stocks and fill out the case. I don't even want to do the math.
Thanks Mr Tawny for Your great notes ( in # 85) from the most hipe Porthouse in Town.

Your notes just made my mouth run....Sitting here with my old Superior from Ferreira, trying to Imagine, that the juice in fact is a 100 year old Tawny from S. Leonardo.
Sandy Becker

Post by Sandy Becker »

Glenn E. wrote:
Andy Velebil wrote:Anyone getting the 100 year Port? I want to but right now that is not in my budget

Probably 4 x 60. Then some 30 and 40 to replenish stocks and fill out the case. I don't even want to do the math.

It's only money and you can't take it with you, so buy up, then drink up (slowly, though).

I was incredibly fortunate to taste the '60' a week ago at a gathering with Glenn and some other some Port loving friends, and I have to second Glenn's tasting note. It was absolutely incredible. Because I tasted it and know how good it is, I'm planning to get more than i otherwise would have - at least 8x 60, 1 (or 2)x 100 and some 40's.

Thank you Roy, Miguel and importers for putting this buying op together.
Glenn E.
Location: Sammamish, Washington, United States of America - USA

Post by Glenn E. »

Allan Engelsted Laurents wrote:
Glenn E. wrote:

Thanks Mr Tawny for Your great notes ( in # 85) from the most hipe Porthouse in Town.

Your notes just made my mouth run....Sitting here with my old Superior from Ferreira, trying to Imagine, that the juice in fact is a 100 year old Tawny from S. Leonardo.
You're welcome! I'm glad that you're enjoying them. Writing them up for the newsletter made me remember the visit all over again and brought back all of the tastes and sensations from those Ports one more time.
Glenn Elliott
Roy Hersh
Site Admin

Post by Roy Hersh »

Andy, (ONLY)

YOU need to get 1-2 bottles of the 2002, because I know you will find this old-school freakazoid much in your wheelhouse. Seriously. Make sure to not let those slide into oblivion.

Glad you guys all see the value in these. Thank you for NOT mentioning prices. As crazy as they are, lots of people jumped on board who had let their subscriptions go or were totally new. It has been a long time since I slept until 2 in the afternoon, but this took every ounce of energy out of me. Glad it is in the archives now and I can move forward on to #86.

For those of you that had never seen these before, I am very happy that Miguel will now have a presence here in the USA (and Canada of course). Poor BC! As you know there are only a few times in the past 15 years that I've personally helped Port/Douro producers get situated in the USA; this one was well worth all of the effort.

Anyway, I knew how much work would go into this, in Europe too, but feel like ALL subscribers were finally able to get in on our greatest buying op to date. So I am very much humbled and grateful! :clap:
Ambition driven by passion, rather than money, is as strong an elixir as is Port. http://www.fortheloveofport.com
Roy Hersh
Site Admin

Post by Roy Hersh »

Lastly, I can tell you that once this is all over, non-subscribers and subscribres alike will receive an email that will introduce the retail prices once the buyer's op is over. Don't let them scare you off ... just realize what a crazy one shot deal you were able to take part in during the one week. No dates or mention of the importer in this thread please! Everyone here went to bat to make this something really outlandish.
Ambition driven by passion, rather than money, is as strong an elixir as is Port. http://www.fortheloveofport.com
Matt K

Post by Matt K »

Andy Velebil wrote: Seriously the 10 year tawny is one of the best I've had. Maybe one or two others I can think of reach this level of a 10 year tawny
Now you guys have me rethinking my order...normally I'm a Taylor Tawny guy - the 30 is a go-to house pour for me.

The thing is - will I ever drink the 10? I've found with the Taylor anything less than the 20 is now almost a letdown...

Maybe this is better?

2004 Rio Bom Grande Reserva 1
S. Leonardo 10 Year Old 1
S. Leonardo 20 Year Old 1
S. Leonardo 30 Year Old 3
S. Leonardo 40 Year Old 3
S. Leonardo Old Tawny Port "60" 3
mmmMadeira
Steve Pollack

Post by Steve Pollack »

I'm trying to figure out a way to limit my order to 2 cases. But given the quality of these wines, and the one shot opportunity at these prices, I have a feeling it will be closer to a 3 case order. All tawny. I'm going to tell my wife that I blame Glenn for his excellent review, and Roy for making this all happen. I am a mere pawn in their evil plot! :drunk:
Mark L

Post by Mark L »

Hey Glenn and Roy,

I echo all the comments here. This is an awesome opPORTunity!!! Though, admittedly I keep changing my philosophies as to how to approach my order (er, or my checkbook). It'll all be settled by April 5th, I'm sure, but man... talk about paradox of choice!

Question for the two of you, and anyone else who has tasted these tawnies: You mentioned a good amount of acid, sometimes comparing to madeira ... In your estimation would it be enough acid to warrant storing in an UPRIGHT position (like madeira) ? or would it be OK to lay these down like other ports?

I suppose perhaps you might also address how long these tawnies (especially the older ones: 60 and 100) might hold up in a cellar in the long run. I understand that a general rule of thumb that Tawnies with 10, 20, 30 yr tend to be better close to bottling date. But then again, I also know that general rules of thumb can often be just that... general. The 60 and 100 seem special (understatment of the year) and I wonder how their life span shall differ from other tawnies and/or be similar to madeira considering the amount of time already exposed to oxygen/air/etc.

Thanks! Looking forward to placing my order,
Cheers,
Mark
Eric Ifune

Post by Eric Ifune »

I'll probably get one of the 100year bottles, just based on Glenn's note. [friends.gif]
Roy Hersh
Site Admin

Post by Roy Hersh »

Mark,

I would lay the bottles down and expect that they would drink well for 5-10 years with little difference. Afterwards, they will likely lose "some" freshness and even in bottle wind up a bit richer and more concentrated, but could be slightly more syrupy which would be a shame. But again, for up to a decade they are not going to change all that substantially. I would not look at these like Madeira at all, in expectation of shelf life, that is for sure. A different beast and I've been drinking Mourao before just about anyone on this Forum. Even his 10 year old is akin to the quality of what most can achieve with their 20 year old Tawny Ports. So while the price may appear a bit high for a 10 year old, ultimately, I look at it as quite a bargain. When in negotiations though, it was my quest to have the greatest values in the middle of the pack. 30/40/60 but even the price on the 104 is stellar when you compare it at under 1000 and whether dollars or Euro, when you've seen pricing on the other recent ancient tawny ports in this realm.
Mark L

Post by Mark L »

Thanks, Roy!!!!

And glad you (and your palate) are feeling better!

Cheers,
Mark
Moses Botbol

Post by Moses Botbol »

Put in an order for 3 cases of mixed stuff. Thanks Roy!
Welsh Corgis | F1 |British Cars
John M.

Post by John M. »

I though we could not order until the 5th??
Any Port in a storm!
Matt K

Post by Matt K »

We're not supposed to but I sent mine in early (having missed the start date originally) and they didn't seem to mind....
mmmMadeira
Eric Menchen

Post by Eric Menchen »

Yes, I was waiting for the 5th too. If they don't run out, I'm fine. But if they do [berserker.gif]
Moses Botbol

Post by Moses Botbol »

John M. wrote:I though we could not order until the 5th??
Had no idea, just sent them an email... Did not get a response...
Welsh Corgis | F1 |British Cars
Mark L

Post by Mark L »

I, too, have the impression that we are to wait for the 5th.
Roy Hersh
Site Admin

Post by Roy Hersh »

The 5th. NOTHING will happen before the 5th. No orders will be approved or confirmed or anything, with one exception that slipped through. Anyway, there is NO NEED to panic or worry about them running out or other concerns. You may have to wait a couple of days to receive a confirmation email back ... but again, just relax and take a deep breath. [notworthy.gif]
Jeff Terk

Post by Jeff Terk »

I just ordered 27 mixed bottles.

Thanks Roy it is much appreciated.
Mark Ellis

Post by Mark Ellis »

Will any of these offerings be available in wood if a large enough order is placed?