Is anybody out there running out of cellar space?

This forum is for discussing all things Port (as in from PORTugal) - vintages, recommendations, tasting notes, etc.

Moderators: Glenn E., Roy Hersh, Andy Velebil

Eric Menchen

Re: Is anybody out there running out of cellar space?

Post by Eric Menchen »

From outside to in, the walls:
- greenboard drywall
- plastic vapor barrier
- 2x4 construction with fiberglass insulation
- 1.5" polyisocyanurate foil covered insulation (Rmax Thermasheath)
- greenboard drywall

If I had the money and were doing it again, I might do 2x6 framing with offset vertical 2x4s, and spray-foam. This would give an r-value of nearly 35 compared to my current 25 or so. Offset 2x4s prevent them from transmitting heat all the way through the wall, and closed-cell spray-foam is a vapor barrier by itself.

I have a humidity sensor and it stays above 50% nearly all the time. I saw the humidity drop to 48% once this winter. I will check it again next winter and see if I need to do anything active for that. It is extremely dry here some times, and I think I may have just been lucky so far.
Matt K

Post by Matt K »

That should do the job. :)

When my brother built my storage cellar he lined the entire thing using 4x8 sheets of 2" blue foam and IIRC there's no plastic - the foam was caulked and it forms the vapor barrier as well as insulating. It was going into an existing commercial space with 2x4 & 2x6 steel studs that already had fiberglass - rather than demo all of that he simply built inside of it.
mmmMadeira
John Trombley

Post by John Trombley »

A combination of a storage unit on-site for ready drinking and an account at Domaine St Louis has done wonders for myi storage headaches. If something I bought seems likely to increase in value it mostly goes to Domaine, with a bottle or two extra or pried out of the OWC to go home with me. Domaine has been helpful also because they'll take delivery for anything that can't go to Ohio or elsewhere where I want it, and will ship it PDQ to me when I want it.

Every year or so I go over the Domaine inventory and they send out a temp-controlled truck with their next delivery in my area so I can refill my home storage unit, or at least that is the plan. I wrote up this for my insurance company and as long as I save a copy of my inventories for them they are OK with it..
Andy Velebil
Location: Los Angeles, California, United States of America - USA

Post by Andy Velebil »

I am out of space but that didn't stop me from getting more at the FTLOP Buyer's Op last week 8--)
Andy Velebil Good wine is a good familiar creature if it be well used. William Shakespeare http://www.fortheloveofport.com
Eric Menchen

Post by Eric Menchen »

Andy Velebil wrote:I am out of space but that didn't stop me from getting more at the FTLOP Buyer's Op last week 8--)
Those won't be stateside until this summer. You've got plenty of time to make space.
Andy Velebil

Post by Andy Velebil »

Eric Menchen wrote:
Andy Velebil wrote:I am out of space but that didn't stop me from getting more at the FTLOP Buyer's Op last week 8--)
Those won't be stateside until this summer. You've got plenty of time to make space.
I'm trying :winebath:
Andy Velebil Good wine is a good familiar creature if it be well used. William Shakespeare http://www.fortheloveofport.com
Bradley Bogdan

Post by Bradley Bogdan »

I found out that the wife and I are moving by the end of the year, which now has brought the worry of not only where to store my wine when we move, as only half is in fridges, but how to transport it all! :-/

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalkz. U
-Brad

Andy Velebil

Post by Andy Velebil »

Bradley Bogdan wrote:I found out that the wife and I are moving by the end of the year, which now has brought the worry of not only where to store my wine when we move, as only half is in fridges, but how to transport it all! :-/

Hmm, depends on where you're moving too.
Bradley Bogdan

Post by Bradley Bogdan »

Andy Velebil wrote:
Bradley Bogdan wrote:I found out that the wife and I are moving by the end of the year, which now has brought the worry of not only where to store my wine when we move, as only half is in fridges, but how to transport it all! :-/

College Station, TX. It's looking complicated haha.

-Brad

Andy Velebil

Post by Andy Velebil »

Bradley Bogdan wrote:
Andy Velebil wrote:

It hopefully will be cool while moving, so that would help. If you plan on being there a long time, then taking your full cellar is worth it. If not and you're planning on moving back to where you are now, then I'd leave some behind in a long term professional storage.

A few options, if hot rent an air conditioned truck to move your stuff yourself. Pay someone to do it. Or if it's going to be cool enough just toss it in the car or rent a one-way moving truck and you're off.
Bradley Bogdan

Post by Bradley Bogdan »

Andy Velebil wrote:
Bradley Bogdan wrote:
Andy Velebil wrote: Hmm, depends on where you're moving too.

It hopefully will be cool while moving, so that would help. If you plan on being there a long time, then taking your full cellar is worth it. If not and you're planning on moving back to where you are now, then I'd leave some behind in a long term professional storage.

A few options, if hot rent an air conditioned truck to move your stuff yourself. Pay someone to do it. Or if it's going to be cool enough just toss it in the car or rent a one-way moving truck and you're off.
Yeah, have a loose plan of moving in December and moving the full cellar (definitely not moving back to Eureka). I've moved it all before, in two halves, in my car/van type vehicle, but I was only a 12 hour drive away. This time, it's like 20+, hence it taking some planning.

-Brad

Glenn E.
Location: Sammamish, Washington, United States of America - USA

Post by Glenn E. »

Bradley Bogdan wrote:This time, it's like 20+, hence it taking some planning.
That implies an overnight, which means you should plan for security. That may be as simple as picking the right hotel, but moving vans are prime targets for opportunists. I'd do some research on secure overnight parking.
Glenn Elliott
Andy Velebil

Post by Andy Velebil »

Glenn E. wrote:
That implies an overnight, which means you should plan for security. That may be as simple as picking the right hotel, but moving vans are prime targets for opportunists. I'd do some research on secure overnight parking.
I'll work for Port [cheers.gif]
Bradley Bogdan

Post by Bradley Bogdan »

Andy Velebil wrote:
Glenn E. wrote:
I'll work for Port [cheers.gif]
Yeah and making sure you don't spend the night someplace particularly cold as well.

And Andy, does that mean you could get me out of any speeding tickets on the way as well??

-Brad

Moses Botbol

Post by Moses Botbol »

Bradley Bogdan wrote:
Andy Velebil wrote:It hopefully will be cool while moving, so that would help. If you plan on being there a long time, then taking your full cellar is worth it. If not and you're planning on moving back to where you are now, then I'd leave some behind in a long term professional storage.
Shipping wouldn't be that much if you pallet it yourself.
Welsh Corgis | F1 |British Cars
Bradley Bogdan

Post by Bradley Bogdan »

Only issue with palleting, aside from my usual trust issues with shippers and my wine, is I live in the middle of nowhere. This usually results in huge surcharges for large shipments of anything, as there are very restrictive size regulations on the only road that can accommodate semis to/from Eureka.

The game plan at this point is to just buy a pickup, pack everything in styro and drive it myself. Since it's probably going to be winter, daytime temp hopefully isn't an issue, and planning the overnight stop to account for nighttime temp will be important too. I'll probably just rent a locker in Austin and drop everything off on my way to town, since I doubt wherever we'll be living will have the nearly ideal passive storage that Eureka naturally does.

-Brad

Bradley Bogdan

Post by Bradley Bogdan »

Which drifts the thread back to the topic of I'm sure I'll not have nearly as much space as I'll need :-)

-Brad

Moses Botbol

Post by Moses Botbol »

When it comes time to move my wine cellar I am hiring movers. If they drop it, they can pay for it and my back is not up to the challenge. I've also considered doing it in chunks by myself.
Welsh Corgis | F1 |British Cars
Roy Hersh
Site Admin

Post by Roy Hersh »

Sorry to hear you will be moving to TX, Bradley. Is this job related?

Check out Western Carriers and see what they'd charge. They will come and pack up all of your wines or you can save money by doing that yourself. They use refrigerated transportation and insure everything. I've moved twice with them and they were fantastic ... but it has been a long time.
Ambition driven by passion, rather than money, is as strong an elixir as is Port. http://www.fortheloveofport.com
Bradley Bogdan

Post by Bradley Bogdan »

Roy Hersh wrote:Sorry to hear you will be moving to TX, Bradley. Is this job related?

Check out Western Carriers and see what they'd charge. They will come and pack up all of your wines or you can save money by doing that yourself. They use refrigerated transportation and insure everything. I've moved twice with them and they were fantastic ... but it has been a long time.
Sort of job related for the wife, Alyson is starting a PhD program at Texas A&M. Ironically enough, it will probably make it easier to attend many FTLOP events, as were within 2 hours of 4 major airports, so easier than the drive I have to Seattle now! And thank you for the suggestion, I'll look into them for sure.

-Brad