What is Martinez Director's Port Rich?

This forum is for discussing all things Port (as in from PORTugal) - vintages, recommendations, tasting notes, etc.

Moderators: Glenn E., Roy Hersh, Andy Velebil

Rune EG

What is Martinez Director's Port Rich?

Post by Rune EG »

The last couple of years the Norwegian wine monopoly has organized wine auctions, both when People gather in a room and internet auctions. Recently I purchased 6 btls of Martinez Director's Port Rich in an internet auction, but I am not sure what it is! Is it a non-vintage tawny port or a non-vintage white tawny port? The Martinez web site is no longer existing and I am being redirected to the Symington site. But as far as I could see there is no info there.

The bottle has an unusual shape as the shoulders are wider than the lowest part, and the bottle has a green-blue colour. Text on the label (no rear label): "A very special tawny matured in oak for a great many years in the company's lodges Oporto. Produced and Bottled by Martinez Gassiot & Co Ltd, Oporto". On the neck lable with bottle numbers the institute is written as "I.V.P."

By looking at the style of the labels, I would assume late 60s/early 70s, i.e. more than 40 years. Having searched on the internet I found very little, except a couple of bottles with the same label, but in one case stating "Bottled in 1972".

My wife and I have consumed one bottle. T-cork in perfect condition. We are leaning towards an old white tawny port, but not sure. The confusing issue is that it was some sediments in the bottle (small fine parts, not like in vintage ports).

Can some of the FTLOP-members help with this one?
Attachments
Martinez Director's Port Rich.jpg
Martinez Director's Port Rich.jpg (161.68 KiB) Viewed 881 times
Allan Engelsted Laurents

Re: What is Martinez Director's Port Rich?

Post by Allan Engelsted Laurents »

Dont know what it is, But I had two bottles, respectivly bottled in 1972 and 1973.
The labels where in German, saying that the port had been in casks for allmost 50 Years.
Both bottles where absolutely outstanding.

One bottle I injoyed with a friend, and the second bottle was a 1955 Borges VP. But the Martinez was the Price of the night.

Lucky You, with Your Sixpack [cheers.gif]
Mario Ferreira

Re: What is Martinez Director's Port Rich?

Post by Mario Ferreira »

Hi Rune - by reading the label as pictured my first guess is that that wine is a Reserve Tawny, right below the category of the 10Yr Tawny.