1980 Kopke Colheita Port

This forum is for users to post their Port tasting notes.

Moderators: Glenn E., Andy Velebil

Andy Velebil
Location: Los Angeles, California, United States of America - USA

1980 Kopke Colheita Port

Post by Andy Velebil »

Bottled 2010. Lots of plums, wood varnish, and mahogany on the nose. There is an immediate dose of acidity that is quickly followed up by maple, vanilla bean, oak, acidity, mahogany, plums, and some very light tannins still popping up on the palate and long finish. A good balance of mature notes and a dash of young still present. This still shows some young notes for a Colheita of its age, and is a good example that Colheita's from great VP years often take a longer to soften up and morph into a great Colheita. I enjoyed this now and I would really like to try a bottling of this in another 15-20 years time, as it should only get better with more age.
93 Points
Andy Velebil Good wine is a good familiar creature if it be well used. William Shakespeare http://www.fortheloveofport.com
terrance creighton

Re: 1980 Kopke Colheita Port

Post by terrance creighton »

Thanks for the excellent notes, I just purchased this myself.

I have to add a basic stupid question and just going to throw it up here since it relates to this bottle.
How long will this last? I know colheita's don't get any better in the bottle, but I can't figure out what a typical " drink by" date is. Is it fine for 20 years? Or is it only good for about 5 years after the bottling date?
Andy Velebil
Location: Los Angeles, California, United States of America - USA

Post by Andy Velebil »

terrance creighton wrote:Thanks for the excellent notes, I just purchased this myself.

I have to add a basic stupid question and just going to throw it up here since it relates to this bottle.
How long will this last? I know colheita's don't get any better in the bottle, but I can't figure out what a typical " drink by" date is. Is it fine for 20 years? Or is it only good for about 5 years after the bottling date?
IMO, Kopke Tawny's show best within 5 or so years of bottling. They don't seem to age in bottle as gracefully as a small handful of other producers do. That's not a bad thing as I don't generally see any reason to continue to age a tawny after its been bottled anyways.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Andy Velebil Good wine is a good familiar creature if it be well used. William Shakespeare http://www.fortheloveofport.com
terrance creighton

Post by terrance creighton »

great, appreciate the notes and help.