February 2007 Virtual Tasting

This forum is designed to help facilitate virtual tastings.

Moderators: Glenn E., Roy Hersh, Andy Velebil

Andy Velebil
Location: Los Angeles, California, United States of America - USA

February 2007 Virtual Tasting

Post by Andy Velebil »

OK, all we are almost into the new month. Fred and I have PM'd each other and he thought about doing Madeira for the month of February...sounded good to me, as we have not done Madeira yet.

I know it can be a bit difficult to find the same type/year/etc. worldwide at local retailers. So anyone have any rec's on which bottling, producer, type, we should all try?

Or should it just be open to anything Madeira?
Andy Velebil Good wine is a good familiar creature if it be well used. William Shakespeare http://www.fortheloveofport.com
Frederick Blais

Post by Frederick Blais »

Andy I think it should be open to all Madeira. Normally some producers have a go to Madeira widely available. He in Québec it's the Cossart Gorden 5 years old Bual.
Living the dream and now working for a Port company
Al B.

Post by Al B. »

Why not get people to post here the "everyday" madeira that they could get from their local store. If we find a common theme, we could choose that. If we don't then we could have another "free for all" tasting.

Alex
Jay Powers
Location: Pacifica, California, United States of America - USA

Post by Jay Powers »

Grocery store/liquor mart madeira will probably not get many converts from those who are new to it. Might even be a disservice to the wine if it turns some people off. On the other hand, old vintage madeira can cost an arm and a leg and that could turn some people off as well.

I vote for any madeira, drinkers choice. The "everyday" madeira could be good if we don't end up with a three year Philips or something. My everyday madeira would be the Broadbent 10 year malvasia or the Broadbent Terrentez reserve (Broadbent Selections is in the bay area)

Jay