TFP has bought the Vintage House Hotel

This forum is for discussing all things Port (as in from PORTugal) - vintages, recommendations, tasting notes, etc.

Moderators: Glenn E., Roy Hersh, Andy Velebil

Andy Velebil
Location: Los Angeles, California, United States of America - USA

TFP has bought the Vintage House Hotel

Post by Andy Velebil »

Adrian Bridge announced it today online. Located in the heart of Pinhao, next to the bridge. They used to own it, then sold it, now they own it again. I have no doubt it will be brought back up to the appropriate standard for the prices they charge. Last I visited I wasn't impressed with the staff.
Andy Velebil Good wine is a good familiar creature if it be well used. William Shakespeare http://www.fortheloveofport.com
Christian Gollnick

Breaking news: Taylor's buys VINTAGE HOUSE Hotel

Post by Christian Gollnick »

Adrian Bridge had said before that he looks to establish a high end hotel in the Douro, kind of Yeatman equivalent. Now TFP has announced that they bought back the Vintage House, which they had sold in 2002. They also bought the land around the hotel and will add another building to the property to add 30 more rooms to the existing 43 rooms. The hotel will close in the beginning of 2016 to get remodeled - but the new building will be completed only at the end of 2018 or even in 2019. It seems like Pinhao is now the hot place in the Douro - which I like to see. This small village got more or less forgotten by the wave of Enoturism that rushed through the Douro-Valley. After opening the visitor-centers at Quinta do Bomfim and Quinta da Roeda we see now the third large project in this small village.

Here is the link to the Portuguese article:
http://visao.sapo.pt/actualidade/econom ... tage-House

Well... I must say that I always found this hotel over-priced - but I think that in the future the prices will even be higher - however, I'm sure the service will increase dramatically...
Tom Archer

Re: TFP has bought the Vintage House Hotel

Post by Tom Archer »

This place could be really good, but on the one occasion I stayed there was very unimpressed..

Adrian, if you read this, here's your main 'to do' list:

1) To people who have not stayed there before, the entrance door is not obvious, especially in the dark - install some signage.

2) Install a lift - it's not fun lugging a suitcase up those stairs.

3) I know Portugal has a long tradition of expecting hotel guests to deal with their own luggage, but at least until (2) is dealt with, make sure there is willing assistance.

4) Continue to offer guests a complimentary glass of port on arrival, but make sure it's something half decent. Putting a really cheap ruby in a decanter is an offence to both guests and glassware!

5) When I stayed there, the standard of general maintenance was abysmal. If it hasn't been re-fitted recently, then I'm guessing a re-fit is on your agenda, but once done, keep it that way.

6) As Andy noted, the attitude of staff has left a lot to be desired in the past. Change the manager, if not the entire staff.

I look forward to seeing you turn the place around..!
Roy Hersh
Site Admin

Post by Roy Hersh »

I am not sure when Chanceleiros opened, but it is the only hotel that could possibly have been opened before the Vintage House Hotel. If the VHH was open prior to Chanceleiros, it would be the very first hotel open to the public in the Douro.
Ambition driven by passion, rather than money, is as strong an elixir as is Port. http://www.fortheloveofport.com
Jasper A.

Post by Jasper A. »

I agree completely, except our lugage was carried to our room.

Some more points:
- If you have a port shop, open it during the day (at least for a little while). Last summer it was closed.
- I know it is a five start hotel, but the prices at the pool were abnormal.
- the pool water was so dirty, it smelled
Tom Archer wrote:This place could be really good, but on the one occasion I stayed there was very unimpressed..

Adrian, if you read this, here's your main 'to do' list:

1) To people who have not stayed there before, the entrance door is not obvious, especially in the dark - install some signage.

2) Install a lift - it's not fun lugging a suitcase up those stairs.

3) I know Portugal has a long tradition of expecting hotel guests to deal with their own luggage, but at least until (2) is dealt with, make sure there is willing assistance.

4) Continue to offer guests a complimentary glass of port on arrival, but make sure it's something half decent. Putting a really cheap ruby in a decanter is an offence to both guests and glassware!

5) When I stayed there, the standard of general maintenance was abysmal. If it hasn't been re-fitted recently, then I'm guessing a re-fit is on your agenda, but once done, keep it that way.

6) As Andy noted, the attitude of staff has left a lot to be desired in the past. Change the manager, if not the entire staff.

I look forward to seeing you turn the place around..!
Lisa Stevens

Re: Breaking news: Taylor's buys VINTAGE HOUSE Hotel

Post by Lisa Stevens »

The funny thing is that Gillian mentioned the purchase to us when we were at the Croft facility there with Port Harvest Tour 2. I think they had actually completed the sale that day. We of course told her we would stay mum until they sent the news out. Pretty exciting that they will get involved with making a high-end hotel in the Douro. I love the Yeatman!

-Lisa
Al B.

Post by Al B. »

Tom Archer wrote: 2) Install a lift - it's not fun lugging a suitcase up those stairs.

3) I know Portugal has a long tradition of expecting hotel guests to deal with their own luggage, but at least until (2) is dealt with, make sure there is willing assistance
Based on my occasional stays at the Yeatman, I really don't think this will be an issue once TFP has finished overhauling the hotel.
Ronald Wortel

Post by Ronald Wortel »

Jasper A. wrote:Some more points:
- If you have a port shop, open it during the day (at least for a little while). Last summer it was closed.
It was open during the day when we were there last July. My wife and I love to go there to have a look at the same old bottles we've been looking at for the last 10+ years and to which nothing has happened in the meantime except an occasional dust-off and price raise. They have some nice wines here but prices are ridiculous, and we hardly ever leave there buying anything but the odd bottle of olive oil. It would be great if TFP could make a change for the better.
But enough about me, what do YOU think of me? -- Johnny Bravo
Glenn E.
Location: Sammamish, Washington, United States of America - USA

Post by Glenn E. »

Oddly enough, the purchase may justify the old, high prices. The kind of people who stay at a hotel like the Yeatman can afford the prices (on Port) at the Vintage House Hotel.
Glenn Elliott
Jasper A.

Post by Jasper A. »

Glenn E. wrote:Oddly enough, the purchase may justify the old, high prices. The kind of people who stay at a hotel like the Yeatman can afford the prices (on Port) at the Vintage House Hotel.
People who have made enough money to stay at the VH are usualy smart enough to by products at a fair price. It is not the only place you can buy port in Pinhao.
Tom Archer

Post by Tom Archer »

People who have made enough money to stay at the VH are usualy smart enough to by products at a fair price
You might think so, but I'd wager otherwise..

When I see the prices for old port as offered to tourists I often think 'they won't sell much at price' - but then I realise, actually, they do...