How much do you spend per month on Port?

This forum is for discussing all things Port (as in from PORTugal) - vintages, recommendations, tasting notes, etc.

Moderators: Glenn E., Roy Hersh, Andy Velebil

Edward J

Re: How much do you spend per month on Port?

Post by Edward J »

Since this past August we have acquired ~11 cases of Port. Only the 2008 Quinta do Panascal being a full case purchase(which just arrived :P ). Now it's mostly maintaining stock and filling in holes. Average bottle cost at this point is ~$61. This is a bit extreme, but nothing compared to those who have been doing it for many years! I'm also of the opinion that the best from the 70's - 80's will be rapidly disappearing and future availability might be further hampered by world events. Cellar construction is number one priority for next year.
Roy Hersh
Site Admin

Post by Roy Hersh »

To answer the questions:

A case of Port for me, has always been 12 bottles.

At the peak of my collecting/drinking my cellar had slightly more than 900 bottles. It remains today nearly 750 bottles, but as I approach 60 years of age in a few years, I have made a concerted effort to drink down my cellar. If I died tomorrow, my daughter would inherit my Ports and Madeiras. My wife would be able to drink my table wines for many years to come.

That being said, while I am sure my daughter (born 2002) and a Port appreciator at this stage, will have a ton of great Ports with plenty of age to drink over many many years, even if I live to be 85. One has to be practical. Heck, I have many large formats young (2011) and older (1970 and 1977) with her name on the bottle ... Taylor.
Ambition driven by passion, rather than money, is as strong an elixir as is Port. http://www.fortheloveofport.com
John M.

Post by John M. »

I have tasted about 50/year for the past 7 years.

My cellar currently has about 80 bottles.....I have Cellar Envy.... :mrgreen:
Any Port in a storm!
Eric Menchen

Post by Eric Menchen »

John M. wrote:I have tasted about 50/year for the past 7 years.
My cellar currently has about 80 bottles.....I have Cellar Envy.
If you are tasting about 50/year, that is something to be happy about. I have a lot in the cellar, but I'm not opening 50 bottles per year.
Glenn E.
Location: Sammamish, Washington, United States of America - USA

Post by Glenn E. »

I think that I probably taste 75 or more per year, but most of those are at tastings. I probably only open 12 per year from my cellar... maybe as many as 20.
Glenn Elliott
John M.

Post by John M. »

Eric Menchen wrote:
John M. wrote:I have tasted about 50/year for the past 7 years.
My cellar currently has about 80 bottles.....I have Cellar Envy.
If you are tasting about 50/year, that is something to be happy about. I have a lot in the cellar, but I'm not opening 50 bottles per year.
I'm more like Glenn, most are at tastings. Personally, I like to share bottles so rarely open one just for me or alone.
Any Port in a storm!
Gary Richardson
Location: Clarksville, Maryland, United States of America - USA

Post by Gary Richardson »

Since the thread seems to have expanded to how many are tasted and how many bottles are in cellars:

1. I limit my Port budget to about $3,000 to $4,000 per year. The number of bottles fluctuates depending on what I am buying.
2. I taste about 20-30 Ports per year
3. I currently have about 200 Ports in my cellar
4. Composition is about 100 VP, 25 LBV, 25 TWIOA, 25 Colheita, 25 Other (Crusted, White, etc)
5. VP composition is about 30 prior to 1990, 25 between 1990 and 1999 and the rest 2000 and younger
6. Colheita composition is about 10 prior to 1970, 10 between 1970 and 2000 and the rest younger than 2001
7. I have Ports from about 35 different producers

.... More than you ever needed to know ...

-- Gary
A dschus

Post by A dschus »

Roy Hersh wrote:To answer the questions:

A case of Port for me, has always been 12 bottles.

At the peak of my collecting/drinking my cellar had slightly more than 900 bottles. It remains today nearly 750 bottles, but as I approach 60 years of age in a few years, I have made a concerted effort to drink down my cellar. If I died tomorrow, my daughter would inherit my Ports and Madeiras. My wife would be able to drink my table wines for many years to come.

That being said, while I am sure my daughter (born 2002) and a Port appreciator at this stage, will have a ton of great Ports with plenty of age to drink over many many years, even if I live to be 85. One has to be practical. Heck, I have many large formats young (2011) and older (1970 and 1977) with her name on the bottle ... Taylor.

That's a cute story about your daughter :)
- Alex
A dschus

Post by A dschus »

I need to find some Chicago-area people to do tastings with. So far, I've definitely opened at least 12 bottles. For the past three months, I've had at least 8-10 ounces of port each night, on average. This seems like a lot compared to the amount others are stating they drink. I just started drinking Port so hopefully I don't get burnt out.
- Alex
A dschus

Post by A dschus »

Edward J wrote:Since this past August we have acquired ~11 cases of Port. Only the 2008 Quinta do Panascal being a full case purchase(which just arrived :P ). Now it's mostly maintaining stock and filling in holes. Average bottle cost at this point is ~$61. This is a bit extreme, but nothing compared to those who have been doing it for many years! I'm also of the opinion that the best from the 70's - 80's will be rapidly disappearing and future availability might be further hampered by world events. Cellar construction is number one priority for next year.
Appreciate that point about availability. The 70s and 80s ports that you mentioned are outside of my budget. I can afford some of the lesser houses like Royal Oporto or Martinez from that time frame. Seems that I'm going more for quantity and younger (2000 to now) ports.

Roy posted a link about a book focusing on cellar construction. If you may think it would be helpful, I can post the link here if you have difficulties finding it. Sounds like a fun project and looking forward to seeing your pictures.
- Alex
Edward J

Post by Edward J »

A dschus wrote:
Appreciate that point about availability. The 70s and 80s ports that you mentioned are outside of my budget. I can afford some of the lesser houses like Royal Oporto or Martinez from that time frame. Seems that I'm going more for quantity and younger (2000 to now) ports.

Roy posted a link about a book focusing on cellar construction. If you may think it would be helpful, I can post the link here if you have difficulties finding it. Sounds like a fun project and looking forward to seeing your pictures.
Thanks, I've seen the book. It really isn't going to be too complicated or fancy. I'll build it (after plenty of research) as part of our new enclosed patio/deck in the spring.

As for those 70's & 80's ports. I was able to get the Dow & Graham '70 for $109. '77 Warres ~$70 Grahams $85. The most expensive '85 i have is the Fonseca @ $86. Several I was able to get for $50 or less. To me the best value/vintage right now is 1994 as long as it doesn't say Taylor or Fonseca on the label.
Roy Hersh
Site Admin

Post by Roy Hersh »

A Dschus wrote:
I need to find some Chicago-area people to do tastings with.
Two years ago (next month) I was in Chicago to moderate/educate about 15-16 Port loving individuals on a great horizontal tasting of 1955 Vintage Ports. I was back there again in June of this year too. Lots of people drinking Port there. You just have to look harder to find them. I can promise you, they are out there.
Ambition driven by passion, rather than money, is as strong an elixir as is Port. http://www.fortheloveofport.com
Moses Botbol

Post by Moses Botbol »

If I knew people around Boston who were into Port like me, I would be buying more than I was. I haven't been able to put a port tasting together for the life of me. [dash1.gif]

100+ IDVP glasses sitting idle... [help.gif]
Welsh Corgis | F1 |British Cars
Roy Hersh
Site Admin

Post by Roy Hersh »

It must be you, Moses. :lol:

I hear from lots of people who love Port (and Madeira) who live in the surrounds of Boston.
Moses Botbol

Post by Moses Botbol »

Roy Hersh wrote:It must be you, Moses. :lol:

I hear from lots of people who love Port (and Madeira) who live in the surrounds of Boston.
Maybe it is? I know there are people who must love both as the shelves are pretty well stocked... Just any attempt to getting tasting; formal or casual has fallen on deaf ears... Our new home has an "elegant" formal dining room to seat 8-10 so maybe there could be renewed interest? [shrug.gif]
Welsh Corgis | F1 |British Cars