What's going on with Taylor's 1994?

This forum is for discussing all things Port (as in from PORTugal) - vintages, recommendations, tasting notes, etc.

Moderators: Glenn E., Roy Hersh, Andy Velebil

Christian Gollnick

What's going on with Taylor's 1994?

Post by Christian Gollnick »

Interesting statistic:

http://www.taylor.pt/en/news/vintage-port-investment/

Is this the aftermath of the 2011 declaration? Has it brought some attention to vintage port, and people go and get old vintage ports that are still reasonably priced and from a solid producer?
Or is this index just "rubbish" and the outperformance of the T94 is just a coincidence?

Over the last few months I noted that many Taylor-Ports in the UK are priced at a level that prevents me morally from buying them... While Dow, Fonseca, Gould Campbell and others are still quite okay. Is there a specific reason why Taylor's is getting so expensive?
Paul Fountain

Re: What's going on with Taylor's 1994?

Post by Paul Fountain »

Forget the Taylor's 1994
What the hell is going on with the Penfolds 03 Grange? 03 was not a stellar vintage (unlike 01 and 02). The Vintage chart I looked up said you have to go back to 1974 to find a worse rated Grange.
Anyway, back to the Taylor's.... I think part of it has to do with the hype around 2011 - After all, the words 'best vintage since 1994' were thrown around a lot. I think the fact that it is now over 20 years old is a factor. People are starting to consider it as a "drink soon" option, even though it will live for decades yet. You'll notice the 97 Taylor's which is approaching 20 years is high in the list as well.

In my market, Taylors VP has been significantly higher than the other names you mentioned, at least since I started buying (which was probably back in 09), so as a consequence I don't have many Taylors VPs either (although I do have a fair few Vargellas). Older Fonseca ports are pretty scarce, but they are also generally up there with the Taylors in price. On current market prices, I'd pay a little less for Graham's and slightly less again for Dow. Warre's, for some reason, sits at the bottom of the pecking order and there are often good deals to be had there.