possible fake?

This section is for those who have basics questions about, or are new to, Port. There are no "dumb" questions here - just those wanting to learn more!

Moderators: Glenn E., Roy Hersh, Andy Velebil

terrance creighton

possible fake?

Post by terrance creighton »

So I got this 1981 Burmester Colheita from my wife for xmas. She ordered it from Europa Wine Merchant in Portland, OR.

A real nice gift, but we're thinking it might possibly be fake. The label is really faded, looks of very poor quality print, it's crocked, the IDVP seal is unsticking and the foil is loose and slides around fairly easy. It is a 375ml, so maybe they generally do that for smaller bottles.

I also noticed that the bottle here in the picture - http://wineshop.linerandelsen.com/burme ... p9171.aspx - is numbered 494642. The bottle I have is numbered 494640. Maybe they would only ship a few bottles over here in the states though.

So I just wanted to send a post to see what you guys think. Are 375ml's generally treated more poorly or maybe this was possibly in the retail store for a while under poor conditions (bottled 2014)?

It's not like this is a high end bottle or producer, so I don't know why there would be fakes of these going around, but just wanted to get your opinions.

Thanks for any help.
Roy Hersh
Site Admin

Re: possible fake?

Post by Roy Hersh »

Without me or others speculating, (I do know the shop, Liner & Elsen in Portland, but not the name Europa Wine Merchant) I have sent an email to someone at Sogevinus that will give me their opinion and I'll print it here.

Why have you not been to any of our local tasting events?

Roy
Ambition driven by passion, rather than money, is as strong an elixir as is Port. http://www.fortheloveofport.com
Andy Velebil
Location: Los Angeles, California, United States of America - USA

Post by Andy Velebil »

If it was stored in the sun or other light the label will fade. Seen that many times.

Capsule spinning is no big deal. Many capsules do that.

Seen lots of Selo's come unglued or loose. So that's not a major issue.

Label appears to be genuine.

Most likely No one would fake such an inexpensive Port so I highly doubt it's a fake. Most likely poor storage in light faded the label.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Andy Velebil Good wine is a good familiar creature if it be well used. William Shakespeare http://www.fortheloveofport.com
Roy Hersh
Site Admin

Post by Roy Hersh »

Agree totally, but easy to ask the experts in PT and get a 2nd opinion from someone that will know for sure.
Ambition driven by passion, rather than money, is as strong an elixir as is Port. http://www.fortheloveofport.com
Andy Velebil

Post by Andy Velebil »

Darn cell phone, I hit wrong button. Give it a go and let us know how it is. Also when you open it note what condition the T-Cork is in (totally saturated, only the bottom tip, etc).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Andy Velebil Good wine is a good familiar creature if it be well used. William Shakespeare http://www.fortheloveofport.com
terrance creighton

Thanks for the replies. The whole idea of someone making a fake of this and then selling it to shops is funny, but I keep looking at the label and going, "this looks like I printed this off my home printer". Probably just poor lighting like you said Andy.

Man, thanks Roy, I don't mean to be a bother to anybody at the importer though. I was actually thinking that Liner & Elsen was on the east coast...not sure why, so the close number on the seal makes more sense with them also in Portland.
How do I hear about the local tasting events? I check the offsite planner page sometimes and events around the city, but haven't seen much. Nice GreatNWWine interview btw. :-)

I'll post some notes after I open it.
Eric Menchen

Post by Eric Menchen »

I've had plenty of loose selos, and maybe a loose capsule or two.

If I printed on my home inkjet, the ink would smudge in water. If it was laser printed, you might be able to see color process screens, and the texture would probably feel a little different. But I don't have a recent Burmester colheita to look at for possible distinctions from a laser print.

Sent from my XT1060 using Tapatalk
Andy Velebil

Post by Andy Velebil »

It looks just like other similar vintage labels of this in Cellartracker.com, so I'd say it's real, just faded.
Moses Botbol

Post by Moses Botbol »

I feel sorry for whomever is desperate enough to fake '81 Burmester Colheita half bottle. '52 Delaforce or or an Older Noval; sure I guess... Would actually be kind of neat if it was fake (considering it's not my bottle), but I would side with it being original.
Welsh Corgis | F1 |British Cars
terrance creighton

See, that's the genius of it, if it was a 52 Delaforce, you know he wouldn't be able to pass it off.

(Liam Neeson/Jon Voight Seinfeld reference - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r52sOHiAaHM)
Bradley Bogdan

Post by Bradley Bogdan »

terrance creighton wrote:See, that's the genius of it, if it was a 52 Delaforce, you know he wouldn't be able to pass it off.

(Liam Neeson/Jon Voight Seinfeld reference - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r52sOHiAaHM)
Great reference, haha

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalkz. U
-Brad

Roy Hersh
Site Admin

Post by Roy Hersh »

Important you see this and reply to me by email: [email protected].

Here was the response from Portugal:
Do you think we can get the bottle in question? We will of course send another one to replace it! Can you please put us in contact with your friend? I'm not working this week but if you can please copy in your reply to Sonia, she will handle this right away.
So while they are not saying it is a fake, they certainly have me quite curious and the fact it is heading in this direction has me thinking they believe that at least it could be. Let's chat by email ... please put: Possible Fake Port in the subject line!

Thanks,

Roy
Andy Velebil

Post by Andy Velebil »

Roy Hersh wrote:Important you see this and reply to me by email: [email protected].

Here was the response from Portugal:
Do you think we can get the bottle in question? We will of course send another one to replace it! Can you please put us in contact with your friend? I'm not working this week but if you can please copy in your reply to Sonia, she will handle this right away.
So while they are not saying it is a fake, they certainly have me quite curious and the fact it is heading in this direction has me thinking they believe that at least it could be. Let's chat by email ... please put: Possible Fake Port in the subject line!

Thanks,

Roy
Interesting. Look forward to their reply after they get it and inspect it.
terrance creighton

wow, interesting. e-mail sent.
Glenn E.
Location: Sammamish, Washington, United States of America - USA

Post by Glenn E. »

Can't wait to hear how this all turns out!
Glenn Elliott
Moses Botbol

Post by Moses Botbol »

Glenn E. wrote:Can't wait to hear how this all turns out!
No kidding
Eric Menchen

Post by Eric Menchen »

So I finally looked at that label on a big screen and must say it does look a little crude and not just faded. Could it have worn that way from the texture of the paper? Interesting ...

Sent from my XT1060 using Tapatalk
Moses Botbol

Post by Moses Botbol »

How much does this port cost normally? Like $40 in .375?
Allan Engelsted Laurents

Post by Allan Engelsted Laurents »

Please! Let it be a legit bottle.
It would be very frustating to buy ordinary bottles without being 100% sure.

Looking forward to the answer from Burmester.
Eric Ifune

Post by Eric Ifune »

There are quite a few fake inexpensive wines. They go for volume rather than high prices.