possible fake?

This section is for those who have basics questions about, or are new to, Port. There are no "dumb" questions here - just those wanting to learn more!

Moderators: Glenn E., Roy Hersh, Andy Velebil

Roy Hersh
Site Admin

Re: possible fake?

Post by Roy Hersh »

But to this point, we have not seen that with Port wine.

While it is fine to speculate ... without any real proof one way or the other, it is all just a story. Yes, anything is possible. But until the facts are better known, there is no reason to scare consumers or hurt any producer(s) of Port wine. IMHO. :scholar:
Ambition driven by passion, rather than money, is as strong an elixir as is Port. http://www.fortheloveofport.com
Moses Botbol

Post by Moses Botbol »

Would agree with Roy on this. Let's not call the sky if falling just yet. Could be the French market labels went through a bad run of printing? Does the Selo match up to the bottle or producer?
Welsh Corgis | F1 |British Cars
Andy Velebil
Location: Los Angeles, California, United States of America - USA

Post by Andy Velebil »

Moses Botbol wrote:Would agree with Roy on this. Let's not call the sky if falling just yet. Could be the French market labels went through a bad run of printing? Does the Selo match up to the bottle or producer?
+1

I've seen far worse labels that got rubbed during shipping and wore the label printing down. I'm sure in due course we will hear back from the producer one way or the other.
Andy Velebil Good wine is a good familiar creature if it be well used. William Shakespeare http://www.fortheloveofport.com
Christian Gollnick

Post by Christian Gollnick »

Hello everybody- the selo number is correct. I ran it through the IVDP-webpage and it gave the following result:

Selo ZA04/494640
Registo 17791.043
Empresa 5000000261 SOGEVINUS FINE WINES, S. A.
Local Gaia
Descrição BURMESTER COLH.1981 PORTO-USA

Características
Alcool 20,2
Tipo de Produto Data Colheita
Doçura Muito Doce (Lágrima)
Cor Aloirado
Data Registo / Renovação 01-08-2013 / 01-08-2013

Aplicação
Série ZA04
Início 494617
Fim 494652
Volume Uni. 0,375
Lote 142950031974
Data Engarrafamento 22-10-2014

Here is the link if you want to play around with it:
http://www.ivdp.pt/pagina.asp?codPag=16 ... 2&idioma=0

Interesting that only 36 bottles were filled. Imagine all the bureaucracy that is needed to get such a small order filled and shipped... not much room to make any profit for Sogevinus, I'm afraid.

I have the feeling that the bottle is legit - even if I admit that the label does look a little bit strange. I could imagine that somebody tried to clean the bottle and used a cleaning liquid that was too aggressive for the label.
terrance creighton

Post by terrance creighton »

To conclude the story (for nowwww), the bottle is fine.
I wound up getting connected to Wineworth and Stefano Marello in Bellevue, WA. He took a look at the bottle and pulled up all the information that Christian mentioned above. They were the one that put the order in and the bottling date on the foil matches the time frame on when it was shipped to the Portland area (late Oct 2014).

Funny how Christian mentioned the small order number, that is what Stefano concluded was the reason for the bad label. He said they must have done the printing in house instead of putting in a large scale label order because of the low # order. He never seen the label, but noted that it was in poor condition.

So I'm not shipping it back and Stefano said he would be more than happy to check it out if I open it up and it seems off.

Definitely didn't expect all of this over the initial post, but it was cool to get the backstory on it, getting to see a little bit behind the curtain. Appreciate Roy and Stefano's help with this!
Bradley Bogdan

Post by Bradley Bogdan »

terrance creighton wrote:To conclude the story (for nowwww), the bottle is fine.
I wound up getting connected to Wineworth and Stefano Marello in Bellevue, WA. He took a look at the bottle and pulled up all the information that Christian mentioned above. They were the one that put the order in and the bottling date on the foil matches the time frame on when it was shipped to the Portland area (late Oct 2014).

Funny how Christian mentioned the small order number, that is what Stefano concluded was the reason for the bad label. He said they must have done the printing in house instead of putting in a large scale label order because of the low # order. He never seen the label, but noted that it was in poor condition.

So I'm not shipping it back and Stefano said he would be more than happy to check it out if I open it up and it seems off.

Definitely didn't expect all of this over the initial post, but it was cool to get the backstory on it, getting to see a little bit behind the curtain. Appreciate Roy and Stefano's help with this!
Awesome, hopefully it tastes excellent. Thank you for sharing the end of the story!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalkz. U
-Brad

Andy Velebil
Location: Los Angeles, California, United States of America - USA

Post by Andy Velebil »

Bradley Bogdan wrote:
terrance creighton wrote:To conclude the story (for nowwww), the bottle is fine.

Awesome, hopefully it tastes excellent. Thank you for sharing the end of the story!
Yes, thanks for sharing and glad it all worked out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalkz. U
Andy Velebil Good wine is a good familiar creature if it be well used. William Shakespeare http://www.fortheloveofport.com