TN: 2013 Ferraton Pere & Fils Hermitage Les Miaux blanc

For things that don't fit into the other categories.

Moderators: Glenn E., Roy Hersh, Andy Velebil

Ray Barnes

TN: 2013 Ferraton Pere & Fils Hermitage Les Miaux blanc

Post by Ray Barnes »

Was uncorked on January 7, 2016. This estate was acquired by Chapoutier, but its wine continues to be sold as Ferraton. I believe it is a 50/50 blend of Roussanne and Marsanne, sourced about 80% from Les Dionnieres, and 20% from Le Meal. Purchased by online auction for $20, but supposed to retail in the $70 to $90 range. Lovely pale lemon yellow color, not unlike yellow sapphire. Lovely aromas of ripe mango and a bit of pineapple, not too dissimilar to (of all things) a fine dry Alsace Riesling from Brand. Very fresh and rich in the mouth, but not super long or complex. The 14% alcohol is well integrated. Good crisp acidity, with fat/gras. After sipping, some drops stick to the inside of the glass. This is an excellent wine, absolutely delicious, and would be in my opinion fabulous with vegetarian cuisine. It should offer excellent drinking for the next 2 or 3 years, and then may have to be cellared during a potential dumb phase until 2023. At this price, I would buy it again in a heartbeat. Coming on the heels of a lovely Chave Hermitage Farconnet, I am starting to become a big fan of Les Dionnieres, whose wine Jean-Louis Chave describes as elegant. Can't argue with that. [cheers.gif] Had this wine shown better floral, spice, almond or other flavor characteristics, I would consider it to be or near classic. Perhaps its best days are ahead.
Bradley Bogdan

Re: TN: 2013 Ferraton Pere & Fils Hermitage Les Miaux blanc

Post by Bradley Bogdan »

I'm a big fan of Rhone whites, even though they often are poorly done. When they're from producers that treat them as more than an afterthought, they're a wonderful treat that delivers an experience unlike any other in the world of whites.

With another handful of years, and the touch of air that brings, it's quite possible you'll get that but of almond or something else you're looking for to take it to the next level. Hopefully you find a few more (at an equal price!). Thanks for sharing!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalkz. U
-Brad

Ray Barnes

Post by Ray Barnes »

Hello Bradley, it's a pleasure to meet another white Rhone enthusiast. I concur with your observations, they can be amazing when made well. I believe Jean-Louis Chave considers its Hermitage blanc to be its flagship wine, even though market price for at least the Cuvee Cathelin is quite a bit higher. I also believe Michel Chapoutier considers Hermitage blanc, alongside Champagne, to be the best white wine of France. If I'm ever invited to a tasting of Krug, Montrachet, Ch. Haut Brion blanc, Clos St.-Hune, Coulee de Serrant, Beaucastel V.V. Roussanne, and M.C.'s l'Ermite blanc, I'll state whether I agree with him or not. :wink:

According to Marcel, Bernadette and Philippe Guigal, the 2015 Northern Rhone reds at this point in their evolution are on level with 1929, 1947 and 1961 - according to a conversation they had with renowned Rhone expert John Livingstone-Learmonth. I'm looking forward to trying out some of these wines in the coming years, except for what could be price record setting LaLaLa's.
Bradley Bogdan

Post by Bradley Bogdan »

Ray Barnes wrote:Hello Bradley, it's a pleasure to meet another white Rhone enthusiast. I concur with your observations, they can be amazing when made well. I believe Jean-Louis Chave considers its Hermitage blanc to be its flagship wine, even though market price for at least the Cuvee Cathelin is quite a bit higher. I also believe Michel Chapoutier considers Hermitage blanc, alongside Champagne, to be the best white wine of France. If I'm ever invited to a tasting of Krug, Montrachet, Ch. Haut Brion blanc, Clos St.-Hune, Coulee de Serrant, Beaucastel V.V. Roussanne, and M.C.'s l'Ermite blanc, I'll state whether I agree with him or not. :wink:

According to Marcel, Bernadette and Philippe Guigal, the 2015 Northern Rhone reds at this point in their evolution are on level with 1929, 1947 and 1961 - according to a conversation they had with renowned Rhone expert John Livingstone-Learmonth. I'm looking forward to trying out some of these wines in the coming years, except for what could be price record setting LaLaLa's.
While increased popularity in the last decade, especially in the limited cuvees, has made it tougher for me to find as much value in CdP, I still think that the Southern Rhone is the best place to get your bigger red wines at a fair price in France (sorry Bordeaux). I'd love another good vintage to stock up on in a couple years. If you ever get to an FTLOP tasting I also attend, we'll have to sneak a Rhone wine or two in for the weekend. Image

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalkz. U
-Brad

Ray Barnes

Post by Ray Barnes »

Over the last few years, my French red wine purchases have shifted from Bordeaux to Burgundy to the entire Rhone Valley, also for price. IMHO the last affordable Bordeaux vintage was 2004. Some of the Burgundies are still not prohibitively expensive, even in Vosne Romanee. When red Burg is on, it's spectacularly good.

I don't drink nearly enough CdP, especially Le Vieux Telegraphe La Crau. That is arguably one of the world's bargains in top tier wine.
Ray Barnes

Post by Ray Barnes »

For the record, after 48+ hours, the wine's profile is not much different than when first uncorked. Still very nice to drink, but not (yet) very complex. With take out wild salmon pizza (Fire Pizza in Vancouver BC), it's an excellent pairing.