NFL Wild Card Weekend

For things that don't fit into the other categories.

Moderators: Glenn E., Roy Hersh, Andy Velebil

Ray Barnes

NFL Wild Card Weekend

Post by Ray Barnes »

Since I did not even post on forum in 2015, it's nice to change from procrastination to prognostication. (All kidding aside, there were family health issues, but that's another story entirely).

Kansas City at Houston: People are saying the Chiefs are the dangerous AFC team. While they have had I think a big advantage in defense against their prior recent opponents, I think JJ Watt et al are going to be more than ready to play. It seems the Chiefs are favored, but I like the Texans at home in what could be decided by a late field goal.

Pittsburgh at Cincinnati: The Bengals are finally due to win a playoff game, and I find the Steelers a bit inconsistent. It seems many like Pittsburgh, based on their last game. Almost a pick 'em, but I like the Bengals this time, unless Andy Dalton does not finish the game.

Seattle vs. Minnesota vs. Mother Nature: If the winner is the lowest number, it's no contest. All other things being equal, especially with Cam Chancellor back, the Hawks have more weapons on both sides of the ball. If it was snowing, that would seriously compromise RW's mobility and make for a potentially much closer game suitable to the Vikings. If it's just cold, the most physical team will win, the Hawks, but not in lopsided fashion.

Green Bay at Washington: The Packers have not been the same without Jordy Nelson. On a road against a much improved Redskin team that is playing very exciting football, the Packers could be in for trouble. I still like Aaron Rodgers to win this game, but not by much.
Last edited by Ray Barnes on Sun Jan 10, 2016 6:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ray Barnes

Re: NFL Wild Card Weekend

Post by Ray Barnes »

So how cold will it be in Minnesota? Well here's the latest:
http://finance.yahoo.com/news/weather-b ... 00153.html
Glenn E.
Location: Sammamish, Washington, United States of America - USA

Post by Glenn E. »

I'm in agreement with your analysis. I do favor Kansas City and Pittsburgh, though, but as you said both games are pretty close to pick-'ems so they could go either way.

All of the hubbub about the weather in Minneapolis is amusing. Minneapolis has had a very temperate/moderate fall and early winter, so it's not like THEIR players are used to playing in cold weather, either. I doubt the weather will be a factor, unless as you say it's actually snowing. In that case I also lean toward Minnesota; not because they're used to it, but because their team running style is more downhill while Seattle's is more agility/speed-based.
Glenn Elliott
Ray Barnes

Post by Ray Barnes »

The projected forecast for kickoff in MN is 4F with no chance of snow. Marshawn Lynch will not play, I am still taking the Hawks. Andy Dalton will also be inactive for tomorrow, so I am now predicting the Steelers to win on the road - but hope to be pleasantly disappointed.

I kinda wish the other NFC Wild Card game was being played at Lambeau Field. :evil:
Roy Hersh
Site Admin

Post by Roy Hersh »

Ray my friend, it is nice to see you back here. 'Tis been way too long.

I am a homer for Seattle, although the game will hinge on the porousness or not of the O line of Seattle. If you are correct and Lynch is truly out (I did not hear that and it changes everything!) then if Wilson has Vikings in his face all the time, it will be a very long day for him, even with great receivers.
Ambition driven by passion, rather than money, is as strong an elixir as is Port. http://www.fortheloveofport.com
Ray Barnes

Post by Ray Barnes »

Thank you Roy, I am glad to be here again and have missed the forums a great deal.

IMHO, in such congenial playing conditions, the participants ought to be permitted to consume, as discreetly as possible, equal amounts of non-alcoholic and preferably port and/or madeira. Should the improvement in player comfort be exceeded by subsequent sloppiness in execution, the coaches may be excused for excluding non-alcoholic ones. Being also a Canadian football enthusiast, I remain concerned about ratios. :wink:
Ray Barnes

Post by Ray Barnes »

Overall record, 3-1. I should have picked the Chiefs.

The first half of the Seahawks-Vikings was some of the least watchable post-season football, IMHO, I have ever seen.

Are special teams cursed when playing against the Hawks?
Eric Ifune

Post by Eric Ifune »

I enjoyed the Seahawks/Vikings first half. Football in the cold.
I do think the Seahawks contributed to the missed field goal. On the prior one, there was heavy pressure from the right side. Almost blocked by a finger's breath. I think the Vikes thought pressure was again coming from that side so the kicker cheated towards the left. Too much.
Ray Barnes

Post by Ray Barnes »

I believe there the wind was blowing quite strongly from right to left on the kick too.

That broken play leading to the 35 yard pass to Lockett was something to behold, unless you were cheering for the home side.