Wanted: 1985s

This forum is for discussing selling, buying and pricing of Port & Madeira.

Moderators: Glenn E., Roy Hersh, Andy Velebil

Julian D. A. Wiseman

Wanted: 1985s

Post by Julian D. A. Wiseman »

For a horizontal 1985 to be held in mid-March I am missing and would like to purchase bottles from several houses: Noval, Graham's, Croft, Sandeman, and Gould Campbell. Only one of each is needed, though a pair wouldn't be too much to buy.

Awkwardly for delivery the tasting will be at my father's in Sussex, and I live in New York so can't easily travel round the UK to collect. But there are friends in London: availability in Sussex or London would be ideal.

FWLIW I already have Cálem, Churchill's, Cockburn, Dow, Fonseca, Noval Nacional, Messias, Royal Oporto, Smith Woodhouse, Taylor, Warre, and South Africa's KWV. If you have other 1985s that are missing, please do suggest.
Last edited by Julian D. A. Wiseman on Sat Aug 29, 2015 4:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
John Owlett

Wanted:1985s

Post by John Owlett »

Berrys' has two of the wines you are looking for: Graham and Sandeman. If you order from them, you can pick up the wine either in London or in Basingstoke.

Later,

Dr Owl

----------------------------
John Owlett, Southampton, UK

Julian D. A. Wiseman

G85 & S85 done; Noval 85 very much wanted

Very helpful -- thank you. G85 & S85 done.

Other possible sellers:
• Selfridges: no 85s.
• Harrods: only Warre.
• Fortnum and Masons: Dow, Taylor, and Fonseca.
Fine and Rare: Cockburn, Dow, Sandeman, Taylor, and Warre.
Elliston and Southwick Court: Croft, and Taylor.
Farr Vintners: Fonseca.

As a Nacional 1985 is being served, there really should be a plain Noval 1985 to compare with it (even though the N85 isn't one of N's better years). Any vendors?
Last edited by Julian D. A. Wiseman on Tue Jan 30, 2007 6:42 pm, edited 5 times in total.
Al B.

Post by Al B. »

The other one that I would suggest you try to get hold of if you can is the Offley Boa Vista. You can see from my tasting note posted yesterday that I was seriously impressed by this wine.

Also, Tom and Derek are both away at the moment. Both are happy to swap bottles if you are looking for the odd one or two bottles that they have a surplus of. It might be worth you reposting this note in a week or two when they are back.

Alex
Julian D. A. Wiseman

J. H. Andresen

And, Roy's tasting notes mention 1985s from shippers J. H. Andresen and Souza. Any vendors?
Tom Archer

Post by Tom Archer »

I have Noval and Graham in my cellar - I can mail them to you when I return to Blighty on March 7th.

Tom
Julian D. A. Wiseman

Noval 1985 — thank you

Thank you. The tasting is 16th March, so there's just enough time. There might be a guest coming from Cambridge: delivery within Cantab might be easier for all, if that is possible.

Graham and Sandeman I have bought, but not yet collected, from Berry Bros & Rudd. Still wanted: J. H. Andresen, Souza, Croft, Gould Campbell, and Kopke, the last having been suggested by Derek Turnbull.
Kopke found at Bablake Wines in Coventry, but alas they require that I order a case;
• same problem with sellers of the Gould Campbell;
George Hill might have the Souza.

What's a fair price for a Noval 1985? Send me a private message if you prefer.
Roy Hersh
Site Admin

Post by Roy Hersh »

The Quinta do Noval's regular bottling is fair at best and to give an exact score .. 85 at best. It was never good when young and I don't think it will ever be better than it was in 2000. It is not BAD, just simple and somewhat overtly spirited.
Ambition driven by passion, rather than money, is as strong an elixir as is Port. http://www.fortheloveofport.com
Julian D. A. Wiseman

Ramos Pinto 1985

Ramos Pinto (suggested here by Jay Powers) is sold by the case by Raffles Wine. Where can I acquire a brace?
Gizzyeq
Location: NYC & Japan, New York, United States of America - USA

Post by Gizzyeq »

jdaw..your in nyc right?...they have the ramos pinto 85 at Soho wines and spirits at 461 West Broadway
Julian D. A. Wiseman

RP85 found: thank you

And I could pack it tightly and put it in the hold? Thank you.
Last edited by Julian D. A. Wiseman on Fri Mar 02, 2007 2:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Gizzyeq
Location: NYC & Japan, New York, United States of America - USA

Post by Gizzyeq »

sure...get the styro packagers and either check it in as is...or stick em in your suitcase and pack your clothes around the box

for boxes check out
http://www.uline.com/AdvSearchResult.as ... tartPage=1

here is the TSA regulations that you can print out if they give you a hassle at the airport so you can just show them...you know how it is these days

http://www.tsa.gov/travelers/airtravel/ ... _1189.shtm
Derek T.

Re: Noval 1985 — thank you

Post by Derek T. »

jdaw1 wrote: ..... and Kopke, the last having been suggested by Derek Turnbull
I bought the Kopke at the Duty Free shop at Heathrow T1 about 6 months ago for £25. They may still have it. I only bought 1 bottle, mainly because it was sitting next to Dow's 70 which I used to fill up the remaining space in my bag :P

Derek