NFL Conference Championships

For things that don't fit into the other categories.

Moderators: Glenn E., Roy Hersh, Andy Velebil

Ray Barnes

NFL Conference Championships

Post by Ray Barnes »

Early predictions: Carolina over Arizona, New England over Denver.

Last weekend: 2-2. Overall: 5-3.
Roy Hersh
Site Admin

Re: NFL Conference Championships

Post by Roy Hersh »

Seems like the smart bet. I really don't care anymore, but it would be nice to see Denver have a good game. So sick of the Patriots and especially Tom Brady's face.
Ambition driven by passion, rather than money, is as strong an elixir as is Port. http://www.fortheloveofport.com
Moses Botbol

Post by Moses Botbol »

Roy Hersh wrote:Seems like the smart bet. I really don't care anymore, but it would be nice to see Denver have a good game. So sick of the Patriots and especially Tom Brady's face.
So, how do you really feel about the Pats? I don't have a good feeling for the Pats tomorrow. All the odds are against them like playing away, playing in Denver... That being said, on paper the Pats are a better team, but are they good enough to get past the traditional hurdles?

As for Carolina; if they don't win the Super Bowl; I'd be surprised. Carolina vs. New England rematch would be cool. Right Roy? Pats in the Super Bowl again. [cheers.gif]
Welsh Corgis | F1 |British Cars
Ray Barnes

Post by Ray Barnes »

Anyone who might be getting tired of Tom Brady ought to consider a potential 5th Super Bowl win would bring him closer to retirement. :-)
Ray Barnes

Post by Ray Barnes »

As the forum owner aptly said about a week ago, to paraphrase, the talking's about done, and it's time to play.

Planned football wine: Chateau Calon-Segur 2004 - but might call an audible. :winepour:
Glenn E.
Location: Sammamish, Washington, United States of America - USA

Post by Glenn E. »

I almost forgot!

Carolina over Arizona and New England over Denver.

That's what my brain says. My heart says reverse both.
Glenn Elliott
Ray Barnes

Post by Ray Barnes »

AFC Championship predictions:
Denver 21
New England 24
Game time temperature 39
Number of times Manning yells Omaha 98
Bradley Bogdan

Post by Bradley Bogdan »

What a game. The Fightin Peytons survive and advance to face an uphill battle in two weeks, regardless of the opponent.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalkz. U
-Brad

Ray Barnes

Post by Ray Barnes »

I think at the end of the day, when NE's longest run play is Brady for 11 yards, they were getting beat at the line of scrimmage by Denver's defense - whose pass rush looked somewhat like that of the NY Giants in their recent post season hey day. Congrats to Denver.

The 2004 Calon Segur was swapped for Delas 2013 Saint-Esprit Cotes du Rhone. With its high syrah content, the wine is almost a dead ringer for a St. Joseph. Solid little wine. :-)
Roy Hersh
Site Admin

Post by Roy Hersh »

Brady and Belichick will have the great pleasure of watching the Super Bowl on TV. Excellent outcome as Denver made NE look plain. Nice to see Brady on his butt the whole game. I think we have finally seen the beginning of the end of the Patriot's dominance in the AFC. PTL.

Now to watch the better game of the day. Arizona will have to bring their A+ game just to stay even with Carolina, and I don't see the Cardinals finding a way to beat Newton and the Panthers.
Ambition driven by passion, rather than money, is as strong an elixir as is Port. http://www.fortheloveofport.com
Eric Menchen

Post by Eric Menchen »

Better game of the day? Explain, please.

Sent from my XT1060 using Tapatalk
Ray Barnes

Post by Ray Barnes »

The NFC Championship game, in terms of competitiveness, was quite a different story. I dare say the Seahawks game a week ago was much better.

Although this thread is football, I can't resist the urge to congratulate Milos Raonic on his thrilling 5 set victory over Stan Wawrinka at the Australian Open. That is eradicating my disappointing afternoon. [cheers.gif]
Glenn E.

Post by Glenn E. »

One win each for the heart and brain. 1-1 for the week, 7-3 overall.

I'm now stuck in a similar situation for the Super Bowl - my brain says Carolina in a roll, but my heart wants to give Peyton a going-away present. As usual, I'll bet with my brain and then cheer with my heart.

Someone on FB is trying to tell me that Denver has a chance because their defense is so good and their offense is better than you'd think. I pointed out that Carolina just beat the #1 scoring defense (Seattle) and #1 scoring offense (Arizona) in consecutive weeks, and didn't seem at all bothered by the #1-ness of either.
Glenn Elliott
Moses Botbol

Post by Moses Botbol »

Glenn E. wrote:Someone on FB is trying to tell me that Denver has a chance because their defense is so good and their offense is better than you'd think.
Even though Denver won their last two games, they were far from commanding victories. They have no where the command or polish like Carolina. It's very hard to give Peyton much props for this season when he wasn't responsible for getting them where they are IMO.

Denver will have a hell of time trying to stop Newton. Block his passers and he'll run for 50+ yards & 2 TD's that game.

What's not to like about Carolina?
Roy Hersh
Site Admin

Post by Roy Hersh »

It is time to create ye old annual Super Bowl thread. NOW!
Eric Menchen

Post by Eric Menchen »

Moses Botbol wrote:Even though Denver won their last two games, they were far from commanding victories. They have no where the command or polish like Carolina. It's very hard to give Peyton much props for this season when he wasn't responsible for getting them where they are IMO.

Denver will have a hell of time trying to stop Newton. Block his passers and he'll run for 50+ yards & 2 TD's that game.
I agree with everything you wrote. I also think that on any given Sunday, something different can happen, and that seems to happen even more so with the Super Bowl.
Moses Botbol

Post by Moses Botbol »

Eric Menchen wrote: I agree with everything you wrote. I also think that on any given Sunday, something different can happen, and that seems to happen even more so with the Super Bowl.
Like the best kicker in the NFL missing his first extra point of the season, one of the all time great QB's throwing lateral pass that was recovered by the other team, or one of the best 4th down conversion teams missing two in a row? If the games were so calculated, no one would watch with such intent and passion.
Glenn E.

Post by Glenn E. »

Moses Botbol wrote:or one of the best 4th down conversion teams missing two in a row?
Makes you wonder, doesn't it? What if they'd kicked FGs on both of those 4th downs...
Glenn Elliott
Ray Barnes

Post by Ray Barnes »

Brady was hit more times on Sunday than by any other QB in any game this season. This has led to the dismissal of the Offensive Line coach.
Bradley Bogdan

Post by Bradley Bogdan »

Glenn E. wrote:
Moses Botbol wrote:or one of the best 4th down conversion teams missing two in a row?
Makes you wonder, doesn't it? What if they'd kicked FGs on both of those 4th downs...
The late game 4th down call was totally the right one. The offense hadn't been great, if you kick a FG you still need a TD anyway, it was the best odds call for success.

As much as I don't think Denver would have won in OT, I was hoping the Pats would score on that conversion at the end of the game so it didn't have to end.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalkz. U
-Brad