What is this port?

This forum is for discussing all things Port (as in from PORTugal) - vintages, recommendations, tasting notes, etc.

Moderators: Glenn E., Roy Hersh, Andy Velebil

Mark Ellis

What is this port?

Post by Mark Ellis »

IMG_8505.JPG
IMG_8505.JPG (1.89 MiB) Viewed 1396 times
A good friend sent me a picture of a port her parents bought years ago on a european trip. The parents are moving to assisted living and gave the several bottles to their daughter. This one is difficult to identify. It does not have any markings as to vintage year. Any insights or opinions?
A dschus

Re: What is this port?

Post by A dschus »

- Alex
Bradley Bogdan

Post by Bradley Bogdan »

According to Mayson, Warre's supplied the Port for the Cintra brand, which in its later years primarily supplied France and sold just basic Ports. In previous years though, perhaps before 1970, there was an expanded range of more premium Ports under the brand, including Colheitas, judging from previous forum posts and Google.

So, from that, I'd guess that you probably have a basic ruby or tawny on your hands which likely wouldn't be worth anything of note, financially speaking. All the more reason to gather and give it a try in honor of the parents at their next family gathering.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalkz. U
-Brad

Mark Ellis

Post by Mark Ellis »

Brad, I told them it was probably a generic NV ruby but did not know the age. From the picture, the bottle looks to be in good shape. I am going to forward your recommendation of a gathering and try to also arrange my availability at the same time! Thanks for your input. Mark
Bradley Bogdan

Post by Bradley Bogdan »

Any time! If you're able to be there, let us know how it tastes!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalkz. U
-Brad