What about Graham-VP

This forum is for discussing all things Port (as in from PORTugal) - vintages, recommendations, tasting notes, etc.

Moderators: Glenn E., Roy Hersh, Andy Velebil

Andy Velebil
Location: Los Angeles, California, United States of America - USA

Re: What about Graham-VP

Post by Andy Velebil »

Thomas V wrote:This thread has come at a magnificent time.

On Friday I will attend a Graham vertical tasting. The line up is:

Also a 1963 will be present and opened if the attendees are willing to pay the extra amount, which is roughly half the price of the agreed line up. Expensive drops.

The only thing I am sad about is that there isn't a 1985. After my unlucky experience with one just last month it would be great to sample a specimen that was showing nicely. Ohh well some other time.

Will return with my thoughts.
Do let us know how it goes.
Andy Velebil Good wine is a good familiar creature if it be well used. William Shakespeare http://www.fortheloveofport.com
Thomas V

Post by Thomas V »

Since I am still new to the whole tasting and vintage port. Do take my words with a grain of salt. I am still trying to get my foothold..

It was a private tasting at a fellow I do not know. He had bought all the bottles and they were of bottled in Porto. The bottles were opened after we arrived (not optimal) and served in 2 flights of 3, so basically pop'n pour. The were taken directly out of the wine refrigerator.

The first flight:

Opaque deep red color with a purple rim. Faint alcohol on the nose with a scent of forest floor and elegance. Noticeable tannins, bitter chocolate, black current. High acid and a medium body. Very delightful and had a structure of finesse. Not as brash and bold as I would have expected. Is really tasting well already. 93+

Opaque and dark with a reddish rim. Mild scent with mint and cherries, some smoke and saddle leather as well. Had a great mouth feel and a more noticeable sweetness. Already displaying depth of flavor and a great structure. I kept going back for more. This was my favourite wine of the night. 94

Opaque with a redbrown rim. Dominant spirits on the nose and fruit stem. Some what closed up taste with some bitterness of a cold tea bag nature that dominated the sweetness into the background. This needed more decant time or is in it teenage phase. 91

The second flight.

Dark red with brown rim. A funky scent of bubblegum and watermelon. Very intricate, light and delicate. This was the best smelling port of the night and it wasn't even close for me. This port was a huge surprise as I had thought it would be in the bottom 3 as it was a bit of a funny vintage year as to what I have read. It was very tasty, young and bubbly and with completly different profile that then ones from the 00's. 91+

Dark red and muddy / murky color. The color was not that of an 22 year old port. The scent was off and smelled like TUC biscuits, salty crackers and churned butter. I dont know what was happening with this port. First I suspected it of being oxidised but we had a 2nd bottle from another vendor and that turned out the exact same way. Hugh disappointment as this was the port I was looking forward to the most. Undrinkable. 83

Transparent red brown colors. Developed scent of prunes and plums. Very sweet and interesting. But the I think this one was spoiled a bit for me by the 94 even though I rinsed my mouth with water several times. I have 2 cellared that I look forward to tasting. Also this needed more time in the decant to blow off some spirits. 90

Third flight

Cherry red, transparent with a brownish hue. Slight sediment. Faint alcohol and with a hint of smoke/burn characteristics. Full body with some bitterness. Either this did not have a enough decant time or else this just wasn't my cup of tea. It wasn't the experience I was hoping for and was a slight let down in taste. 90

Very pale and see through with an amber color. Very predominant nose of alcohol. Was way past its prime and was not pleasant to drink as it was to bitter and had lost any fruit it might long have had. 87-88

Dark red brown, slight sediment and lighter in color than the 77. Closed nose and some cured meat scent (how strange the might sound). Taste of marzipan, cola and candied fruit and orange peel. Full bodied. Much nice than the 77 with some secondary fruit and richness. I enjoyed it 92

I don't know if my taste does not go well with older vintage ports or I have just been very unlucky with the 1985 (My own), 1975 and 1977 Graham's. I have previously had a 1977 Quarles Harries that many other agreed was to spirity but at the same time I have had 1985 and 1980 SWC and Gould Campell as well as a 1985 Dow's that very delicious and refined. This tasting was a very up and down experience. I knew the 2011 would be great. The 2003 was my favorite and the 1997 was such a fun and cool experience (I really want to buy some of that as it is fair priced as well). The 1994 was such a let down and the 1977 as well. Where as the 1970 did redeem a few things. The 1975 was just over the due date.
Tom Archer

Post by Tom Archer »

so basically pop'n pour.
So he spent good money on bottles that have waited decades to be opened, and then couldn't be bothered to spend five minutes decanting them.

I'm tempted to say tragic, but stupid is probably the more apt word..
Moses Botbol

Post by Moses Botbol »

Tom Archer wrote:
so basically pop'n pour.
So he spent good money on bottles that have waited decades to be opened, and then couldn't be bothered to spend five minutes decanting them.

I'm tempted to say tragic, but stupid is probably the more apt word..

Heck, he could've just uncorked them and leave as is the night before...
Welsh Corgis | F1 |British Cars
Andy Velebil

Post by Andy Velebil »

Thomas,
Excellent recap and notes. Sounded like a fun time. And a shame those were not properly decanted, as others mentioned. Most of those would have probably shown far different, in a better way.
Andy Velebil Good wine is a good familiar creature if it be well used. William Shakespeare http://www.fortheloveofport.com
Eric Menchen

Post by Eric Menchen »

Yes, thanks for all the notes Thomas. Excellent job!
Bradley Bogdan

Post by Bradley Bogdan »

Andy Velebil wrote:Thomas,
Excellent recap and notes. Sounded like a fun time. And a shame those were not properly decanted, as others mentioned. Most of those would have probably shown far different, in a better way.
Ditto on the showings, but thank you for the notes!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalkz. U
-Brad

Thomas V

Post by Thomas V »

You're welcome.

Yes it is a shame regarding the decant time. In defence of the bloke hosting, he is mostly into table wine.

Since we are talking about decanting times. What guideline do you guys follow for decant time for different vintages and houses?

Roy has posted this guide here
Roy Hersh wrote:
  • 7 years or less: *10-12 hours of decanting time
    8 -15 years old: *8-10 hours of decanting time
    16-25 years old: *6-8 hours of decanting time
    26-35 years old: *4-6 hours of decanting time
    36-45 years old: *3-5 hours of decanting time
    46-60 years old *2-3 hours of decanting time
    60 years old: *1-3 hours of decanting time
I have a VP tasting in a week where I am serving:

2003 Niepoort
2000 Graham's
1997 Dow's
1994 Quinta de Vesuvio
1985 Warre's
1980 Sandeman

Would love some input on the decant times (Sorry if it is too OT, I can make a decanting thread)
John Vachon

Post by John Vachon »

Moses:

Overnight is too long-Roy's times are a better guide.
Edward J

Post by Edward J »

John Vachon wrote:Moses:

I agree if you were decanting. What I wonder is , if you just uncorked them would that allow a night before opening? In a pinch could it work?
Andy Velebil

Post by Andy Velebil »

Edward J wrote:

I agree if you were decanting. What I wonder is , if you just uncorked them would that allow a night before opening? In a pinch could it work?
The 2003 overnight is probably the best thing you can do for that one.
Glenn E.
Location: Sammamish, Washington, United States of America - USA

Post by Glenn E. »

Andy Velebil wrote:
Edward J wrote:

The 2003 overnight is probably the best thing you can do for that one.
Yeah, I'd probably splash decant it first, but then overnight back in the bottle should do it.
Glenn Elliott
Thomas V

Post by Thomas V »

Glenn E. wrote:Yeah, I'd probably splash decant it first, but then overnight back in the bottle should do it.
What do you mean by splash decant?

And when you say back in the bottle, is that with the cork back in place and in the fridge?
Bradley Bogdan

Post by Bradley Bogdan »

Thomas V wrote:
Glenn E. wrote:Yeah, I'd probably splash decant it first, but then overnight back in the bottle should do it.

And when you say back in the bottle, is that with the cork back in place and in the fridge?
Splash decant usually means pouring it into a decanter and right back into the bottle (with a rinse to remove the sediment, if there is some left in the bottle). That aerates the wine with about as much dissolved O2 as it can hold at that time, which gives it a good start on unwinding even with the limited amount of wine to air contact it gets in the bottle after opening.

Trying to decant in your fridge is generally a bad idea, as the cold will seriously slow how the wine evolves. That's a great thing for preserving a bottle for day 2 or 3 if you're not going to finish it, it's not so good for a bottle you're trying to have change and open up. Ideally, mid 60s is the best decant temp, but on your counter in the low 70s in the average house isn't bad either.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalkz. U
-Brad

Glenn E.
Location: Sammamish, Washington, United States of America - USA

Post by Glenn E. »

Bradley Bogdan wrote:
Thomas V wrote:

Splash decant usually means pouring it into a decanter and right back into the bottle (with a rinse to remove the sediment, if there is some left in the bottle). That aerates the wine with about as much dissolved O2 as it can hold at that time, which gives it a good start on unwinding even with the limited amount of wine to air contact it gets in the bottle after opening.

Trying to decant in your fridge is generally a bad idea, as the cold will seriously slow how the wine evolves. That's a great thing for preserving a bottle for day 2 or 3 if you're not going to finish it, it's not so good for a bottle you're trying to have change and open up. Ideally, mid 60s is the best decant temp, but on your counter in the low 70s in the average house isn't bad either.
This.

And yes, I'd leave it on the counter overnight for this purpose rather than putting it in the fridge. I'd even leave it uncorked if possible, but in that case I'd probably put something over the top to keep bugs/dust/whatever out. I have some little plastic squares with ridges that are intended to be used to cover bowls of food while you're microwaving them, but they work equally well covering wine bottles/decanters on the counter. The ridges in the plastic mean that there's still some ability for air to circulate.
Glenn Elliott