What Port(s) have you purchased this week?

This forum is for discussing all things Port (as in from PORTugal) - vintages, recommendations, tasting notes, etc.

Moderators: Glenn E., Roy Hersh, Andy Velebil

Tom Archer

Re: What Port(s) have you purchased this week?

Post by Tom Archer »

3 x double mags of Taylor '75, ex cellars, finally safely received after a catalogue of errors, (but no fault of the TFP)

The oldest double mags in my possession, and (I think) the oldest I've ever seen offered for sale..
Andy Velebil
Location: Los Angeles, California, United States of America - USA

Post by Andy Velebil »

Tom Archer wrote:3 x double mags of Taylor '75, ex cellars, finally safely received after a catalogue of errors, (but no fault of the TFP)

The oldest double mags in my possession, and (I think) the oldest I've ever seen offered for sale..
Hmm, would be interesting to try. Especially side by side with a 750ml.
Andy Velebil Good wine is a good familiar creature if it be well used. William Shakespeare http://www.fortheloveofport.com
Glenn E.
Location: Sammamish, Washington, United States of America - USA

Post by Glenn E. »

1966 Noval Nacional for the 11th Anniversary Tasting
1977 Fonseca
1977 Taylor

The latter two were ~20% below internet and at the same auction, so I picked 'em up just to have them.
Glenn Elliott
Al B.

Post by Al B. »

Tom Archer wrote:The oldest double mags in my possession, and (I think) the oldest I've ever seen offered for sale..
When you decide to open one, I'll bring a Tappit Hen of an SFE '75.
Andy Velebil

Post by Andy Velebil »

Most of us remember when Trader Joe's got in the 1994 Quarles Harris VP a couple years ago. Since they've only had the 2011 Quarles Harris VP. Yesterday I was doing my shopping and being the wine person I am was checking for anything new in their wine department. What do I find mixed in with all the 2011 Quarles Harris...one bottle of 1994 Quarles Harris VP for $30. SCORE!!!
Andy Velebil Good wine is a good familiar creature if it be well used. William Shakespeare http://www.fortheloveofport.com
Glenn E.

Post by Glenn E. »

Andy Velebil wrote:Most of us remember when Trader Joe's got in the 1994 Quarles Harris VP a couple years ago. Since they've only had the 2011 Quarles Harris VP. Yesterday I was doing my shopping and being the wine person I am was checking for anything new in their wine department. What do I find mixed in with all the 2011 Quarles Harris...one bottle of 1994 Quarles Harris VP for $30. SCORE!!!
Nice!!! That's an excellent VP at a really great price! I wish I could find more... I have some 1977 and some 2011 (both from TJ's), but I think I'm out of the 1994.
Glenn Elliott
Bradley Bogdan

Post by Bradley Bogdan »

That is a score, very nice!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalkz. U
-Brad

Thomas V

Post by Thomas V »

Stopped by a friend that is the Danish importer of Bulas, DR, Presidental, Vieira de Sousa. Wasn't supposed to buy anything but when you get a good deal it is hard not to... [help.gif]

20 Year Old Tawny Port from DR
10 Year Old White Port from Quinta da Giavosa
1990 Colheita from Presidental (Dalva)
Special White Reserve from Quinta do Estanho

Something for the miss:

An Adega de Favaios Moscatel Espurmante Meio Seco
Extra virgin olive oil from Vieira de Sousa
Andy Velebil

Post by Andy Velebil »

Thomas V wrote:Stopped by a friend that is the Danish importer of Bulas, DR, Presidental, Vieira de Sousa. Wasn't supposed to buy anything but when you get a good deal it is hard not to... [help.gif]

20 Year Old Tawny Port from DR
10 Year Old White Port from Quinta da Giavosa
1990 Colheita from Presidental (Dalva)
Special White Reserve from Quinta do Estanho

Something for the miss:

An Adega de Favaios Moscatel Espurmante Meio Seco
Extra virgin olive oil from Vieira de Sousa
Nice haul. That 10 year white is pretty darn good last I had it. So is the moscatel

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Eric Menchen

Post by Eric Menchen »

2x 2012 Quinto do Vesuvio VP, 750s (just managed to resist getting the 6x OWC)
1x 1994 Royal Oporto VP, 375
1x 1994 Smith Woodhouse VP, 375
Allan Engelsted Laurents

Post by Allan Engelsted Laurents »

My recent buy, two sisters from Andresen. I remember Roy speaking highly about the 1970 Colheita.

And the 1937 is a Classic Year.
Attachments
image.jpeg
image.jpeg (96.06 KiB) Viewed 2899 times
Andy Velebil

Post by Andy Velebil »

Allan Engelsted Laurents wrote:My recent buy, two sisters from Andresen. I remember Roy speaking highly about the 1970 Colheita.

What year was the 1970 bottled. IIRC the 1970 which I've had was a more recent one and wonderful. I'd suspect that's a pretty young bottling of it. Curious to hear how it is.

Who didn't make a 1937 Colheita? :lol:
Allan Engelsted Laurents

Re: What Port(s) have you purchased this week?y

And one bottle for the 'feinschmeckers'
One ancient extra dry White from Santhiago de Lago.

I found three bottles in Portugal. Opend the one on thursday, tasted it, and let it sit on the counter (open) poured a glass two days later to a Portfriend.
Allmost undrinkable for the first 1/2 hour. It had a foul taste of acetone. But after a while it blue away, and the port was close to 'pleasant'.

My guess is, that the port was +65 years old.
Attachments
image.jpeg
image.jpeg (146.3 KiB) Viewed 2892 times
Glenn E.

Post by Glenn E. »

Andy Velebil wrote:
Allan Engelsted Laurents wrote:My recent buy, two sisters from Andresen. I remember Roy speaking highly about the 1970 Colheita.

What year was the 1970 bottled. IIRC the 1970 which I've had was a more recent one and wonderful. I'd suspect that's a pretty young bottling of it. Curious to hear how it is.
We had it on the 2010 Harvest Tour and it was spectacular. As I recall the group was pretty evenly divided whether the 1970 or the 1910 was the best.

I could swear, though, that we were told that they didn't sell the 1970... obviously not true, I guess.
Glenn Elliott
Allan Engelsted Laurents

There was a topic earlier about 'Your favorite Year for Port'. And some did mention 1937....
The 1937 was bottled in 1978 and the 1970 (which is a rare bird this far north) was bottled in 1992.

And speeking of Colheitas from 1937. I have had Niepoorts bottling (from the 1970s) on several occasions.
Later this week, I am expecting the arival of Ni 1937, bottled in 1995...
I have seen the same late bottling of the 1935 Colheita, But it costs a fortune...
Mark Henderson

Post by Mark Henderson »

1970 Grahams Vintage Port
1970 Dows Vintage Port
Purchased in England and with my wife visiting there currently, she will bring them home for me.
I'm planning a port tasting for a few friends and these two will make up the final flight alongside the 1970 Fonseca which I already have. Still tossing up options for the balance of the tasting but likely to be a 2000 vintage flight with the Grahams, Fonseca and Quinta do Noval to show wines with some youth (but which have lost their puppyfat) and then the 2012 vintage of the Quinta do Vesuvio and the Quinta do Noval to show sheer, youthful exuberance alongside a 'ringer' from South Africa (Boplaas Cape Vintage 2006). I have a nice 1976 Madeira to start the ball rolling. I'm rather looking forward to it.

Cheers...Mark
Thomas V

Post by Thomas V »

1991 Adriano Ramos Pinto Vintage port.

Bought from a private collector as he wanted to focus more on his red table wine. Got it for 38 USD which I thought was a bargain. Great providence too.
Gerwin de Graaf

Post by Gerwin de Graaf »

6 x Fonseca Quinta do Panascal 1986 (at auction last Sunday). I didn't know this was made (I know of the 1986 Guimaraens).

Also the label is somewhat of a mystery to me (I'll try to post a couple of pictures). Does anyone know these kind of labels from Fonseca? And since I don't have a clou when these came onto the market, any thoughts on number of years left in this VP.
Attachments
20160615_191944_resized.jpg
20160615_191944_resized.jpg (247.96 KiB) Viewed 2695 times
20160615_191921_resized.jpg
20160615_191921_resized.jpg (381.3 KiB) Viewed 2695 times
Andy Velebil

Post by Andy Velebil »

No clue on when it was released. There are some very nice Ports from this vintage, though VP/SQVP's from '86 are a bit tough to find. I'd suspect it should be getting near ready to start enjoying them.

(Edit: found some notes including my own. I wouldn't hold them too much longer. Drink sooner rather than later)
Allan Engelsted Laurents

Sometime it takes a longer time to wait, when the stuff You are waiting for is really something [yahoo.gif]
Paid these 3 bottles more than 5 weeks ago in Portugal...and finalIy.

The 1995 bottling of the Niepoort Colheita 1937 is for me somewhat special!

All of the epic Niepoort Colheitas where bottled in the 1970s. This one with 20 years more in barrel.
Yummi!
The two other sidekicks, are just ordinary stuff.... allthough the Barros 1957 is a recent bottling aswell (2015)
Attachments
image.jpeg
image.jpeg (136.87 KiB) Viewed 2663 times