shepherds 37

This forum is for discussing all things Port (as in from PORTugal) - vintages, recommendations, tasting notes, etc.

Moderators: Glenn E., Roy Hersh, Andy Velebil

simon Lisle

shepherds 37

Post by simon Lisle »

has anyone got any information on shepherds vintage port i presume it is on the same scale as avery's,berry rudd,on the label it has matured in oak vintage 1937 shepherds label looks about right for age. thanks
Roy Hersh
Site Admin

Post by Roy Hersh »

I have never heard of a bottler in the UK or elsewhere with this name. From what you describe this must be a small bottler that purchased a cask of vintage dated Tawny (from 1937) and then bottled the juice later on. Possibly if you contacted one of the more popular UK retailers they might have a better clue about the bottler it came from if you really care.
Ambition driven by passion, rather than money, is as strong an elixir as is Port. http://www.fortheloveofport.com
Andy Velebil
Location: Los Angeles, California, United States of America - USA

Post by Andy Velebil »

When I have a little extra time I like to go back and re-read some of the really old posts. From just after the forum was started. Quite fun at times...Here is one I found today and since the forum is much bigger now, I was....

Wondering if anyone has heard or seen of this Port before??
Andy Velebil Good wine is a good familiar creature if it be well used. William Shakespeare http://www.fortheloveofport.com
Erik Wiechers

Post by Erik Wiechers »

What a coincidence, i just won one at a auction. I havent tasted it, but when i do i will post a TN here. Does this pic looks familiar ?
I paid € 150 for it which is a bargain i like to think. Seen prices go up to € 400

cheers
Erik
Andy Velebil

Post by Andy Velebil »

WOW, what timing. It looks like a Colheita by the "Matured in Cask" written on it, but I'm just guessing there.

Erik,
Is there a bottling date anywhere on the back?

The bottle and box look to be quite old, say from the 1940's or 1950's. Is there anything else on the box or bottle that give any more clues about who made this Port?

Thanks for posting a pic of it....very cool 8--)
Andy Velebil Good wine is a good familiar creature if it be well used. William Shakespeare http://www.fortheloveofport.com
simon Lisle

Post by simon Lisle »

It's the exact bottle they show up now and again normally at dutch auctions
Erik Wiechers

Post by Erik Wiechers »

I hope to have it at home by the end of the week.
I try to post pics asap
Erik Wiechers

Post by Erik Wiechers »

As promised the pics:

Here you can see the bottle, it looks like the pic i published before, the coulour is already very pale/orange and halfway the neck of the bottle.

It has a little string attached with some lead to it. I guess its the seal of the bottle ? Anyone ?

The bottle is wax sealed as you can see.

Sorry for the quality of the piucs, my own camera broke down so i had to take the pics with my webcam.

And yes, i have no clean-desk policy :D
Andy Velebil

Post by Andy Velebil »

Thanks for the pics. I tried googling for more info, but couldn't find out anything other that a Sheperd's Port appears to be a town in the UK somewhere near Norfolk.

BTW, a clean desk always worries me...a dirty desk means your a hard worker :wink: :lol:
Erik Wiechers

Post by Erik Wiechers »

Is there anything else on the box or bottle that give any more clues about who made this Port?
Alas Andy, no info except whats on the front label, no back label nothing. The bottle is old, i can tell from the wax and the lead seal. Other then that it keeps a mystery.
When i taste it, i will put a TN here with better pics. As you Andy, i googled for it also and found nothing except that town close to Norfold or Shepherd's Pie (which is a treat aswell).
Andy Velebil

Post by Andy Velebil »

Erik,
I look forward to your tasting note on this one.
Allan Engelsted Laurents

Re: shepherds 37

Post by Allan Engelsted Laurents »

Got this Shepherd's Vintage 1937 in the Post today. Tried to google some info. Only help was some links to older auctions, AND a link to this old thread here in FTLOP....

Allways funny to see the writing 'Vintage matured in cask'....

No bottling date on the bottle.

Saùde
Attachments
image.jpeg
image.jpeg (92.04 KiB) Viewed 2152 times
Andy Velebil

Post by Andy Velebil »

Allan Engelsted Laurents wrote:Got this Shepherd's Vintage 1937 in the Post today. Tried to google some info. Only help was some links to older auctions, AND a link to this old thread here in FTLOP....

Allways funny to see the writing 'Vintage matured in cask'....

No bottling date on the bottle.

Saùde
Interesting is the label is very similar to Noval's.
Tom Archer

Post by Tom Archer »

That label feels a bit 'left field' ..

The ' vintage... ...matured in cask' bit is wrong, but not every kosher bottle is labelled perfectly - but then there's the vague alcohol content - that is always precise or not stated in my experience - and who are/were Shepherd's ?

As Andy notes, the format of the label looks borrowed, and the text looks like it was hastily thrown together by someone with no artistic skill and a limited knowledge of the product.

Is it genuine? Maybe, but without a bottling date - itself irregular.. - there is no easy way to validate that.

I'm hunching that this might be a port style wine made outside of Portugal, and possibly much younger; being rather crudely passed off as the real thing - but that IS only a hunch...
Eric Menchen

Post by Eric Menchen »

I've seen bottles before with an alcohol range, although I can't recall a range as big as 2%.

Sent from my XT1060 using Tapatalk
Bradley Bogdan

Post by Bradley Bogdan »

Eric Menchen wrote:I've seen bottles before with an alcohol range, although I can't recall a range as big as 2%.

Importer labels to the US commonly have a 2% range, though it's usually 19-21% when labeled as such for Port.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalkz. U
-Brad

Jasper A.

Post by Jasper A. »

I got an e-mail yesterday with kind of the same weird text on the label:

Vintage of 1944 aged in wood, weird to me.
Tom Archer

Post by Tom Archer »

'Port of the ... vintage' is not that uncommon as text for colheitas, but 'Vintage...' is a bit of a no-no if the port isn't VP
Importer labels to the US commonly have a 2% range, though it's usually 19-21% when labeled as such for Port.
I take it you mean the slip labels, added for import compliance. If the importer doesn't have the exact number (for an old bottle of VP, say..) then obviously he is going to use the known limits. To put a variable number on the main label looks wrong, and to the best of my recollection, have never seen.
Andy Velebil

Post by Andy Velebil »

Bradley Bogdan wrote:
Eric Menchen wrote:I've seen bottles before with an alcohol range, although I can't recall a range as big as 2%.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalkz. U
Alcohol content is wrong for Port.
Andy Velebil

Post by Andy Velebil »

If you Google 1937 Shepherd's Port you can see more pic's of what appear to be this bottle from the auction. The pull string on the wax is something I've never seen before on a Port....though I've seen weirder.

https://www.google.com/search?biw=1378& ... XM#imgrc=_