2001 Quinta do Noval Nacional just released

This forum is for discussing all things Port (as in from PORTugal) - vintages, recommendations, tasting notes, etc.

Moderators: Glenn E., Roy Hersh, Andy Velebil

Roy Hersh
Site Admin

2001 Quinta do Noval Nacional just released

Post by Roy Hersh »

Yes, you read this correctly. Given there was a 2000 Noval and Nacional too, we can be sure that Noval did not want to confuse consumers. So they held back this 2001 Nacional for a later release ... 15 years.

Managing Director Christian Seely comments:

“Although we declared Quinta do Noval Nacional 2001 officially in 2003, we did not release the wine for sale at the time.
Nacional is always a powerful concentrated wine, but in its youth the 2001 was extremely backward and quite closed up, dense and very tannic. Since we had just declared and released the 2000 Nacional, we decided to lay down the 250 cases of Nacional 2001 that were produced and keep them back for release at a later date.

All great Vintage Port retains its youthfulness for a long time, but with Nacional this characteristic is exaggerated, so we have waited some years before releasing the 2001, which is still immensely youthful structured and powerful, but is now just beginning to reveal its enormous future potential. At this stage the nose has begun to open up, revealing magical floral and spicy notes which are a precursor of how the wine will taste in future years when it is fully mature. The tannins are harmonious, powerful and reserved, and there is complex concentrated fruit, with great freshness, thrilling to drink now, but with huge potential to develop by ageing in bottle in years to come.”
Ambition driven by passion, rather than money, is as strong an elixir as is Port. http://www.fortheloveofport.com
Andy Velebil
Location: Los Angeles, California, United States of America - USA

Re: 2001 Quinta do Noval Nacional just released

Post by Andy Velebil »

Very cool!
Andy Velebil Good wine is a good familiar creature if it be well used. William Shakespeare http://www.fortheloveofport.com
Moses Botbol

Post by Moses Botbol »

Sent price request to my local B&M on this.
Welsh Corgis | F1 |British Cars
Jasper A.

Post by Jasper A. »

Nice! I am also curious about the price. I asked the importer, so have to wait.
Eric Menchen

Post by Eric Menchen »

There goes my vertical! [berserker.gif]

If anyone does find pricing, please post. The wine-searcher.com free version has one hit at Garrafeira Nacional for US$ 1,300. Apparently there are two more listings if you have a pro subscription, and at least one is at a lower price since the average is below the GN price.
Andy Velebil
Location: Los Angeles, California, United States of America - USA

Post by Andy Velebil »

Eric Menchen wrote:There goes my vertical! [berserker.gif]

If anyone does find pricing, please post. The wine-searcher.com free version has one hit at Garrafeira Nacional for US$ 1,300. Apparently there are two more listings if you have a pro subscription, and at least one is at a lower price since the average is below the GN price.
Cut that price in about 1/2 and you'll get normal pricing [rotfl.gif]
Andy Velebil Good wine is a good familiar creature if it be well used. William Shakespeare http://www.fortheloveofport.com
Moses Botbol

Post by Moses Botbol »

My local B&M sold all the 2011 Nacional they could get in two heart beats... I don't have one single bottle of Nacional in my cellar. Need at least one.
Welsh Corgis | F1 |British Cars
Thomas V

Post by Thomas V »

Anyone found a EU retailer that is selling this?

Anyone with a Wine-searcher PRO that can help out here.

I also send a mail to the Danish importer. No response yet [shok.gif]
Edward J

Post by Edward J »

Moses Botbol wrote:My local B&M sold all the 2011 Nacional they could get in two heart beats... I don't have one single bottle of Nacional in my cellar. Need at least one.
I have no pro subscription to wine searcher, but sometimes if you click the "show nearest location" you can get another hit. This time, Park Ave Liquors, $675.
Jasper A.

Post by Jasper A. »

Thomas V wrote:Anyone found a EU retailer that is selling this?

Anyone with a Wine-searcher PRO that can help out here.

I also send a mail to the Danish importer. No response yet [shok.gif]
We will sell it for €399,- We have it online within a week.
Eric Menchen

Post by Eric Menchen »

Jasper A. wrote:We will sell it for €399,- We have it online within a week.
That's a great price. I wish shipping to the U.S. wasn't such an issue.
Roy Hersh
Site Admin

Post by Roy Hersh »

On the PRO version of Wine Searcher, Park Avenue Liquor has the lowest price in the USA @ $675.

However, the lowest price in the UK is @ the equivalent of $637 at Millesima; a shop in Switzerland by the identical name is selling it for $613.60 and the lowest price shown globally is in Germany where it sells for the US equivalent of $594.14 @ Weinhandelshaus Scholzen.
Ambition driven by passion, rather than money, is as strong an elixir as is Port. http://www.fortheloveofport.com
Jasper A.

Post by Jasper A. »

From Quinta do Noval Facebook
Quinta do Noval Vintage Nacional 2001 received 99 points by James Molesworth from Wine Spectator!
« This sports a serious heft, with a core of brooding fig jam, ganache, Christmas pudding and pastis-soaked black currant notes… »

Awsome score if you ask me.
Rune EG

Post by Rune EG »

Christian Seely of Quinta do Noval etc visited The Vintage Port Club in Odense, Denmark last week for winemakers dinner.
It was a very nice event which amongst others included three Nacionals; 1999, 2001 and 2003.
In my opinion the 2003 was clearly the best on that day (95 pts), while 2001 was a step lower (91 pts).

2001 is not yet for sale in Norway, but two other vintages of Nacional are (based on todays exchange rates):
2003 Nacional: NOK 5145 = € 570 = $ 615
2004 Nacional: NOK 4999 = € 555 = $ 600