1964 Krohn Colheita Branco port

This forum is for users to post their Port tasting notes.

Moderators: Glenn E., Andy Velebil

Lindsay E.

1964 Krohn Colheita Branco port

Post by Lindsay E. »

When I popped this wine into the decanter, it had an enticing nose of honey, fruitcake and butterscotch. I poured a smidge into a glass to taste and noted honey, herbs and a refreshing acidity on the palate that made this wine seem vibrant, youthful and light. The residue in the glass I used to taste a sip also has a grapefruit aroma.

I decided to decant this based on the last few board notes. Unfortunately, when I returned to the wine 8hrs after decanting, it tasted flat and generic. Bummer!

vigorous swirling seemed to unlock some of the higher tones aromas (muddled mild grassy/floral notes…hard to describe though) and by night 3 some of the original acidity on pop 'n pour had returned. But unfortunately the first sip was the most unique, enjoyable, intense, and on par with what I had expected based on this wine's reputation. Based on my experience with this bottle, I will only pop my next bottle when at the time I plan to drink it and skip the decant.

This was the 2008 bottling.
Andy Velebil
Location: Los Angeles, California, United States of America - USA

Re: 1964 Krohn Colheita Branco port

Post by Andy Velebil »

Yes I would not decant this that long anymore. It's more of a pop and pour wine now. Or an hour at best.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Andy Velebil Good wine is a good familiar creature if it be well used. William Shakespeare http://www.fortheloveofport.com
Edward J

Post by Edward J »

I've got one bottle left and it's going soon, hope it shows as well as the last one did. Is there any more of this left in the wood? Did Taylor acquire it by chance? So perhaps a new bottling soon, but if so at a much higher price. Spectrum Auctions has 4 bottles listed, opening bid $1K. These are no doubt from Premier Cru inventory that they purchased for 3.6 million. I hope that those four bottles were not awaiting shipment to someone on this board...
Eric Menchen

Post by Eric Menchen »

Edward J wrote:These are no doubt from Premier Cru inventory that they purchased for 3.6 million. I hope that those four bottles were not awaiting shipment to someone on this board...
Argh. Thanks for the heads up. I see my 2011 Dow and 1968 Krohn colheita bottles listed. I guess I'll try to buy them a second time. I had not purchased the 1964 Krohn Branco, and don't plan to bid on it now.
Eric Ifune

Post by Eric Ifune »

I remember buying them at retail at Premier Cru. I think I may have gotten the last two unclaimed.
Glenn E.
Location: Sammamish, Washington, United States of America - USA

Post by Glenn E. »

I purchased... 9? 12?... from Premier Cru and the two that I've drunk so far haven't exhibited this behavior. In fact I just finished one recently and even though it had been open for nearly a month it was still going strong.

However, I have had bottles that showed like you describe. I suspect it's just some weird bottle variation, though I really don't have a clue as to what the reason for it could be.
Glenn Elliott
Roy Hersh
Site Admin

Post by Roy Hersh »

I would NEVER leave this particular Port open for a month. I'll be kind and leave it at that. [shrug.gif]
Ambition driven by passion, rather than money, is as strong an elixir as is Port. http://www.fortheloveofport.com