1927 Ramos Pinto LBV

This forum is for discussing all things Port (as in from PORTugal) - vintages, recommendations, tasting notes, etc.

Moderators: Glenn E., Roy Hersh, Andy Velebil

Poyee K

1927 Ramos Pinto LBV

Post by Poyee K »

Hi, I'm new to this forum and live in Hong Kong.

From learning gleaned during Roy's PHT2 this past September, I've become more engaged in, and alert to, all things port. While definitely still on the earlier parts of the learning curve, I hope to contribute to news on some port happenings in Hong Kong. :P

I taste 1927 Ramos Pinto LBV as part of a ports masterclass conducted on November 5, 2016 by Mark Squires as part of "Matter of Taste Series". This seminar also featured Jorge Rosas from Ramos Pinto and Tomás Roquette of Quinta do Crasto. Corinne Michot-Ilic, the Communications Director for AXA, presented the Quinta do Novals and the Romanieras (a property owned by C Seeley in his personal capacity). Price for the seminar was very reasonable at US$38, when the general admission to the broader "Matter of Tastes" general tasting had been purchased.

1927 Ramos Pinto LBV N.A.
2011 Ramos Pinto LBV 
2011 Quinta do Noval • Unfiltered LBV 
2001 Quinta do Noval • Unfiltered LBV
2011 Quinta da Romaneira • Unfiltered LBV 
2005 Quinta da Romaneira • Unfiltered LBV  
1997 Quinta do Crasto • Late Bottled Vintage Port
2004 Quinta do Crasto • Late Bottled Vintage Port 

Rosas comments on the 1927 LBV, which predates the time when the governing body for port declarations of LBVs even was doing that; first LBV vintage due to subsequently secured approval to be designated as LBV: A treasure; one of the best vintages of the last century; very few bottles left. This product was originally made for Brazil and what Ramos Pinos wanted was a vintage port style in the 20s but a product that was well-adapted to the hot and wet climate of Brazil. Aroma according to Roas is like opening a cigar humidor -- tobacco leaves, cigar. No more aromas of wood anymore. Same type of palate; velvety; persistence -- long but not viscous; elegant and refined; not very sweet comparatively.

M Squires: Legend and very rare. Tastes more like a Tawney in some respects if it gets very very old. Acidity makes it lively on the palate even with the complexity and the caramel nuances.

1927 LBV is 100% unfiltered and 100% from Quinta do Bom Retiro property

My thoughts:
-- This LBV has a medium-orangish brownish color, and it has a pale, translucent shade. One can see some residual red shades in the color.
-- Nose had sensations of light caramel and slight cognac to me. Also gentle tobacco ashes without the smokey sensations.
-- A hint of coffee and ornage on the palate, integrated with other sensations . Lingering sensations of sweetness after having sampled it. Special.
Andy Velebil
Location: Los Angeles, California, United States of America - USA

Re: 1927 Ramos Pinto LBV

Post by Andy Velebil »

Hi Poyee
[welcome.gif] to the forum. Glad you got to try such an old LBV. Trying any Port is always worth it, if for nothing else than the educational value of it. Glad it showed well.
Andy Velebil Good wine is a good familiar creature if it be well used. William Shakespeare http://www.fortheloveofport.com
Mahmoud Ali

Post by Mahmoud Ali »

Sounds like a wonderful experience Popeye. Thanks for the notes and welcome to the forum.

Cheers ................... Mahmoud.
Roy Hersh
Site Admin

Post by Roy Hersh »

Hi Poyee,

Great to see you posting here. It was a lot of fun having you join us on the PHT2 Tour with your friend. She is coming back again in 2017!

Anyway, great to have you comment on what is the oldest LBV I am aware of. In an article on LBVs I wrote a few years ago, I got into the historical perspective of the category and claims different Port shippers made on which was the first.

We all appreciate your TN on the 1927 Ramos Pinto LBV. Glad it showed so well. Thanks again and we hope you will post as often as you're comfortable with.

Have a wonderful holiday season!

Roy
Ambition driven by passion, rather than money, is as strong an elixir as is Port. http://www.fortheloveofport.com
Mike Meehan

Post by Mike Meehan »

Mahmoud Ali wrote:Sounds like a wonderful experience Popeye.
Autocorrect in action!
Mahmoud Ali

Post by Mahmoud Ali »

Mike Meehan wrote:
Mahmoud Ali wrote:Sounds like a wonderful experience Popeye.
Autocorrect in action!
Oh dear, well spotted Mike. I will not correct it now so as not to adversely affect your witty post.

Cheers ................ Mahmoud.
Poyee K

Post by Poyee K »

I've posted some pictures.
Kopke rep also at the event.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/147648174@N08/