2011 Taylor Fladgate LBV

This forum is for users to post their Port tasting notes.

Moderators: Glenn E., Andy Velebil

John M.

2011 Taylor Fladgate LBV

Post by John M. »

2011 Taylor Fladgate LBV - Dark core with purple rim. Taste starts out small then grows to rhubarb and concord grape. Tannic dry finish with hints of pepper. Simple yet fine.

88 Points

This tasting note is one of several related tasting notes. Click [here] to see the original note in context.
Any Port in a storm!
Mahmoud Ali

Re: 2011 Taylor Fladgate LBV

Post by Mahmoud Ali »

I haven't had the 2011 but among the early '00s I thought the '03 was brilliant, head and shoulders better than the '01, '02' 04, and '05. The '03 had a bottling date (2009) and I was wondering if the '11 had one.

Mahmoud.
John M.

Post by John M. »

Not Sure on this one
Any Port in a storm!
Andy Velebil
Location: Los Angeles, California, United States of America - USA

Post by Andy Velebil »

Mahmoud Ali wrote:I haven't had the 2011 but among the early '00s I thought the '03 was brilliant, head and shoulders better than the '01, '02' 04, and '05. The '03 had a bottling date (2009) and I was wondering if the '11 had one.

Mahmoud.
The 2003 was a rock star and agreed, the best since. And the 2011 was bottled in 2016.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Andy Velebil Good wine is a good familiar creature if it be well used. William Shakespeare http://www.fortheloveofport.com
Glenn E.
Location: Sammamish, Washington, United States of America - USA

Post by Glenn E. »

Andy Velebil wrote:
Mahmoud Ali wrote:I haven't had the 2011 but among the early '00s I thought the '03 was brilliant, head and shoulders better than the '01, '02' 04, and '05. The '03 had a bottling date (2009) and I was wondering if the '11 had one.

Mahmoud.
The 2003 was a rock star and agreed, the best since. And the 2011 was bottled in 2016.
Completely agree. 2003 was pretty amazing, and while the intervening years have been good they just haven't compared. 2011 is right back up there, though I have not yet decided which I like better. (2011 or 2003) I do actually still have one 2003 left to open, and I think it's going to have to be side-by-side with a 2011!
Glenn Elliott
Mahmoud Ali

Post by Mahmoud Ali »

Glenn E. wrote: 2011 is right back up there, though I have not yet decided which I like better. (2011 or 2003) I do actually still have one 2003 left to open, and I think it's going to have to be side-by-side with a 2011!
I will have to try an '11 Taylor's. I went out hunting for the '03 and so have a few bottles remaining including one at home ready for opening sometime soon.

Mahmoud.
Glenn E.

Post by Glenn E. »

Mahmoud Ali wrote:I will have to try an '11 Taylor's. I went out hunting for the '03 and so have a few bottles remaining including one at home ready for opening sometime soon.
They're filtered, and pretty heavily as near as I can tell, so they're getting a little old at this point. I've been meaning to drink my last one but haven't had a good excuse, so drinking it with an '11 will provide that.
Glenn Elliott
Mahmoud Ali

Post by Mahmoud Ali »

Glenn E. wrote:They're filtered, and pretty heavily as near as I can tell, so they're getting a little old at this point. I've been meaning to drink my last one but haven't had a good excuse, so drinking it with an '11 will provide that.
Agreed, Taylor's LBVs are filtered but wouldn't you say that structure, balance, and depth are the main determing factors of longevity? This would also hold true for vintage ports which as we know are unfiltered.

Mahmoud.
Glenn E.

Post by Glenn E. »

Mahmoud Ali wrote:
Glenn E. wrote:They're filtered, and pretty heavily as near as I can tell, so they're getting a little old at this point. I've been meaning to drink my last one but haven't had a good excuse, so drinking it with an '11 will provide that.
Agreed, Taylor's LBVs are filtered but wouldn't you say that structure, balance, and depth are the main determing factors of longevity? This would also hold true for vintage ports which as we know are unfiltered.
Sure, but filtering removes some of the elements that provide structure during the aging process.

It would be interesting test for a producer to try: when bottling a VP, run a few cases through a heavier (such a Taylor) LBV-style filtering. Then lay the whole batch down in the same cellar and see what things are like 20,30, and 40 years later. I'm pretty confident that the filtered bottles would age more quickly.

I doubt they're identical LBVs, but Noval's regular LBV is normally filtered while their SQLBV is unfiltered. So a consumer could perform the same test by getting a bunch of each and laying them down for future comparison. I think they made both in 2008?
Glenn Elliott
Mahmoud Ali

Post by Mahmoud Ali »

I don't doubt that filtering takes something away from an LBV (or a wine for that matter) but surely filtering itself does not disqualify a port from being able to age if, after filtration, it still has power, depth, and structure. One of my favourite LBVs, the 1994 Noval LBV doesn't say anything about it being unfiltered.

I agree that Noval's Single Quinta LBV would cellar better than their filtered LBV but would also add that Noval might not use the same lots to make the filtered and non-filtered LBVs so the comparison might be moot.

Mahmoud.
Andy Velebil
Location: Los Angeles, California, United States of America - USA

Post by Andy Velebil »

Mahmoud Ali wrote:I don't doubt that filtering takes something away from an LBV (or a wine for that matter) but surely filtering itself does not disqualify a port from being able to age if, after filtration, it still has power, depth, and structure. One of my favourite LBVs, the 1994 Noval LBV doesn't say anything about it being unfiltered.

I agree that Noval's Single Quinta LBV would cellar better than their filtered LBV but would also add that Noval might not use the same lots to make the filtered and non-filtered LBVs so the comparison might be moot.

Mahmoud.
It would depend on the degree of filtration. There are levels from very little (VP) to a lot (basic Ruby). Keep in mind every wine is filtered to some degree. Otherwise we'd all be enjoying small rocks, bugs, seeds, leaves, grape skins, etc in our wines and Ports.

Noval LBV's are generally unfiltered. However, for a few countries in Europe and for airlines they do make a filtered version. IIRC, what Canada gets is unfiltered.
Andy Velebil Good wine is a good familiar creature if it be well used. William Shakespeare http://www.fortheloveofport.com
H Port-er

Post by H Port-er »

We had a bottle of the Taylor Fladgate 2011 LBV with dinner on Christmas Eve this past December (2016.) We absolutely loved it. It started off a bit closed, although still fruity, and grew throughout the two hours of dinner. I offered a taste to the restaurant owner (who is also a big fan of port) and she decided to switch away from the LBV she was serving and now carries this one. What surprised me was that I liked it so much when 1) I'm not usually a fan of LBVs, and 2) I wasn't a fan of Taylor's 2011 Vintage. I know the 2011 Vintage is still young and was even younger when I tried it in 2015, but I was still surprised that I liked this LBV so much more, especially considering the price, which I think was $19 when I bought it. As we work through our case of Churchill's 2005 LBV and Smith Woodhouse 2001 LBV, I think we're going to pick up a case of this LBV.
Mahmoud Ali

Post by Mahmoud Ali »

Good call H-Port-er on stocking up. Sometimes an LBV, whether filtered or not, hits the sweet spot. I did that with the '03 vintage.

Mahmoud.