1975 Kopke Colheita Port

This forum is for users to post their Port tasting notes.

Moderators: Glenn E., Andy Velebil

John M.

1975 Kopke Colheita Port

Post by John M. »

Bottled in 2015, T-Cork. Opened for 2 hours before first taste, then several days following. Burnt orange hue with the depth and transition to light orange akin to a Rothko painting; flat yellow rim--just looks lovely and inviting. Aromas of burnt sugar and caramel; a full bouquet that fills the room. Moderate weight and presents very well. Butterscotch, caramel and Crème Brule with touches of toasted sweet nuts-pralines or pecan pie where the pecans are slightly roasted. Occasionally pick up hints of citrus zest that lies under the caramel. The depth and nuances of flavor is outstanding, the finish lingers for a long time. Such a pleasing port. No real change between the two tastings.

At 48 hours was still good but has lost a bit of complexity.

97 Points
Attachments
Taken outside in natural light. Not a port glass, but unbreakable and does the job well.
Taken outside in natural light. Not a port glass, but unbreakable and does the job well.
1975 Kopke 2.jpg (67.24 KiB) Viewed 416 times
1975 Kopke 1.jpg
1975 Kopke 1.jpg (84.53 KiB) Viewed 416 times
Last edited by John M. on Mon Mar 20, 2017 5:49 am, edited 1 time in total.
Any Port in a storm!
Glenn E.
Location: Sammamish, Washington, United States of America - USA

Re: 1975 Kopke Colheita Port

Post by Glenn E. »

All of these recent Kopke "series" releases have been pretty fantastic, haven't they? Glad to hear the '75 fits right in!
Glenn Elliott
Andy Velebil
Location: Los Angeles, California, United States of America - USA

Post by Andy Velebil »

And we have to talk about that glass you're drinking from :Naughty: [berserker.gif] :lol:
Andy Velebil Good wine is a good familiar creature if it be well used. William Shakespeare http://www.fortheloveofport.com
John M.

Post by John M. »

Andy Velebil wrote:And we have to talk about that glass you're drinking from :Naughty: [berserker.gif] :lol:
Family rule is no glass outside (pool with lots of brick patio--been there more than once and not fun. Brick are very unforgiving.). So when I'm grilling or BBQing, I use these nice plastic glasses. Not perfect, but gets the job done just fine. Later after dinner had more in a white wine glass. :P
Any Port in a storm!
Mike K.

Post by Mike K. »

Great to hear, I've got one of these in the cellar! I recently opened a 76 and it was fantastic as well.
Andy Velebil
Location: Los Angeles, California, United States of America - USA

Post by Andy Velebil »

John M. wrote:
Andy Velebil wrote:And we have to talk about that glass you're drinking from :Naughty: [berserker.gif] :lol:
Family rule is no glass outside (pool with lots of brick patio--been there more than once and not fun. Brick are very unforgiving.). So when I'm grilling or BBQing, I use these nice plastic glasses. Not perfect, but gets the job done just fine. Later after dinner had more in a white wine glass. :P
Ok, you get a pass...this once :lol:
Andy Velebil Good wine is a good familiar creature if it be well used. William Shakespeare http://www.fortheloveofport.com