February/March 2017 VT: Any VP from Fladgate

This forum is designed to help facilitate virtual tastings.

Moderators: Glenn E., Roy Hersh, Andy Velebil

Thomas V

February/March 2017 VT: Any VP from Fladgate

Post by Thomas V »

New year and time to keep it rolling inhere with the virtual tastings.

So the theme this time is any vintage port (I guess SQ's are included) from a house owned by the Fladgate Partnership e.g.

Fonseca
Croft
Taylor's
Wiese & Krohn

Since we are already deep into February I included March as well to allow for people to buy, find or collect a port within the theme.

Enjoy.
Andy Velebil
Location: Los Angeles, California, United States of America - USA

Re: February/March 2017 VT: Any VP from Fladgate

Post by Andy Velebil »

Sorry for the delay, was out of town for work the past couple weeks. Will get to something by the end of the month. Good topic as something from them are easy to find.
Andy Velebil Good wine is a good familiar creature if it be well used. William Shakespeare http://www.fortheloveofport.com
Thomas V

Post by Thomas V »

Andy Velebil wrote:Sorry for the delay, was out of town for work the past couple weeks. Will get to something by the end of the month. Good topic as something from them are easy to find.
Excellent Andy.

I tried the Fonseca Crusted Bicentenary port during my stay in Lisbon, but even though it is technically a blend of 2-3 VPs I will seek out something else for this virtual tasting to be within the theme.

I hope more will join these 2 months to kick things into gear.... :ftlop: [friends.gif]
Roy Hersh
Site Admin

Post by Roy Hersh »

I had the 1991 Croft Vintage Port last night. It never fails to wow me with its complexity and while quite youthful, it has a presence that depicts a VP with more age. Smooth, unctuous, multi-layered and a great slow sipper. IMO, one of the greatest Croft Ports. Ok, it is no 1945 ... but then again, how many Ports ever produced, are of that ilk? :scholar:
Ambition driven by passion, rather than money, is as strong an elixir as is Port. http://www.fortheloveofport.com
Thomas V

Post by Thomas V »

Roy Hersh wrote:I had the 1991 Croft Vintage Port last night. It never fails to wow me with its complexity and while quite youthful, it has a presence that depicts a VP with more age. Smooth, unctuous, multi-layered and a great slow sipper. IMO, one of the greatest Croft Ports. Ok, it is no 1945 ... but then again, how many Ports ever produced, are of that ilk? :scholar:
How do you feel about the current state of the 1991 vintage? Tasted others besides the Croft recently?

I will chime in with a Taylor's and Fonseca later this week.

Still hope more people will pop open a VP from Fladgate this month. Still 14 days left.
Thomas V

Post by Thomas V »

Ill stuff in my TN for a Fonseca 1985 here as well which was tasted last Thursday.
Part of an eighties themed VP tasting in Aarhus Port Club with 10 VP's which were served semiblind.

Decanted for 11 hours

This just looks ridiculous in the glass. A wolf in sheep's clothes. To guess that this is in fact a 32 year old VP is pretty ludicrous and impossible. It looks like a 97' or even a 03'. Dark and lush and then the scent hits you in the face with load of primary fruit, mostly black current and some mint . Not a sniff of alcohol on the nose just this sensation of a young and delicious VP.

On the palate it is fine, refreshing with an outstanding balance already between sweetness and acidity. Then the complexity hits with spicy notes and it keeps rolling of the tounge. This is so delicious to drink right now, but there is no doubt in anyones mind that this will go the distance and become something even more special than it already is (98-99pts?). I will not touch any of min bottles for at least 10 years. Just hope and pray that I get to try it at a tasting while I wait and gather more.

Today the Graham's 1985 was a better glass, but in 10-20 years the roles will reverse.

95+ points
Eric Menchen

Post by Eric Menchen »

Given the theme, last night I opened a 2005 Taylor Quinta de Vargellas Vintage Port, 375ml. This bottle had clear plastic capsule underneath the foil one. While I've seen plenty of double capsuled bottles, I've not seen a Port bottle with a clear plastic capsule. I'll add a note after further tasting. Pretty good so far.
Taylor_small.jpg
Taylor_small.jpg (247.77 KiB) Viewed 6385 times
Bradley Bogdan

Post by Bradley Bogdan »

Eric Menchen wrote:Given the theme, last night I opened a 2005 Taylor Quinta de Vargellas Vintage Port, 375ml. This bottle had clear plastic capsule underneath the foil one. While I've seen plenty of double capsuled bottles, I've not seen a Port bottle with a clear plastic capsule. I'll add a note after further tasting. Pretty good so far.
Taylor_small.jpg
I'd love to hear how it was, just picked up a cheap 750 of that Port.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
-Brad

Andy Velebil

Post by Andy Velebil »

2007 Fonseca Vintage Port from a 375ml bottle....which was opened by mistake, as my post in the other thread explains. Regardless of my mistake.....this is still a very dark inky color. Loads of blackberries, loganberries, and menthol. Dense fruit, massive wall of tannins quickly take over that fruit, then the acidity kicks in. That is all followed by more fresh dark fruit that is not as sweet as one would think, very well balanced and not there is no unbalanced jammy-ness at all. The minerality doesn't come out until the long lingering finish. WAY too young at this point, but should have a fantastic life ahead of it.
94+ Points
Andy Velebil Good wine is a good familiar creature if it be well used. William Shakespeare http://www.fortheloveofport.com
Eric Menchen

Post by Eric Menchen »

Bradley Bogdan wrote:I'd love to hear how it was, just picked up a cheap 750 of that Port.
I wasn't so diligent in my note taking after the first day, but here it is:
http://www.fortheloveofport.com/ftlopfo ... 12&t=40286
Bradley Bogdan

Post by Bradley Bogdan »

Opened a half bottle of 2012 Fonseca Guimarens last night, just in time! I'll post a note later.

-Brad

Thomas V

Post by Thomas V »

Cool stuff guys. Let us keep this rolling.

Perhaps one of you that did open a VP from Fladgate these 2 past months could pick a new theme for April? [d_training.gif]

P.s. Mayhaps some of the forum-nites that are complaining about their ever growing cellar and their new years resolution to drink more than they purchase should participate. Right Glenn? [cheers.gif]
Andy Velebil

Post by Andy Velebil »

[quote="Thomas V"

P.s. Mayhaps some of the forum-nites that are complaining about their ever growing cellar and their new years resolution to drink more than they purchase should participate. Right Glenn? [cheers.gif][/quote]
I have no idea what you're talking about [foilhat.gif] [rotfl.gif]

Perhaps Eric can pick the new theme....paging Eric!
Eric Menchen

Post by Eric Menchen »

Andy Velebil wrote:Perhaps Eric can pick the new theme....paging Eric!
I had no resolution on drinking, just on buying. Hmmm ...
Andy Velebil

Post by Andy Velebil »

Eric Menchen wrote:
Your new resolution is on picking a new theme for drinking for the next VT for April/May 2017.
Thomas V

Post by Thomas V »

Eric Menchen wrote:
Regardless Eric, will you pick a theme and start a new thread? [help.gif]
Eric Menchen

Post by Eric Menchen »

Thomas V wrote:Regardless Eric, will you pick a theme and start a new thread? [help.gif]
Well, this bimonthly theme suggests "Any VP from SFE," but I'm also thinking about "Any Port from a '7 year."
Bradley Bogdan

Post by Bradley Bogdan »

Eric Menchen wrote:
Thomas V wrote:Regardless Eric, will you pick a theme and start a new thread? [help.gif]
Well, this bimonthly theme suggests "Any VP from SFE," but I'm also thinking about "Any Port from a '7 year."
I think both are great builds on last month. Also, both are ones I would have multiples that are easy pulls for me Image

-Brad

Thomas V

Post by Thomas V »

Eric Menchen wrote:
Uhh I like both of them. We'd better just pick one and get going, since it is already 1 week into April. :clap:
Scheiny S

Post by Scheiny S »

Taylor 2011 Vintage Port 375ml bottle. Bottled in 2013. Tasted 4/8/17. Decanted 6 hours.
Deep purpley black with orange brown rim.
The aromatics weren't overpowering but its scent lasted a long time. Smelled faintly of blackberry and dirt wet after it rains. After four days there was strong black cherry, too. And leather once my glass was empty.
It was light to medium bodied with medium acidity and lots of tannin. The flavor was definitely blue and black berries/fruit, I had a hard time picking out specifics. It wasn't very sweet but was definitely a simple sugar, that hit mid-palette and resolved before the finish, so little sweetness. The finish, which lasts medium long, is dry and leathery/woodsy.

It's hard for me to rate because this is one of the first really good Ports I've ever had. I prefer more sweetness and stronger berry flavors but I really like its complexity. I'm definitely a fan of VPs, now!
Last edited by Scheiny S on Wed Apr 12, 2017 12:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.