Lots of new faces ... please introduce yourself

This section is for those who have basics questions about, or are new to, Port. There are no "dumb" questions here - just those wanting to learn more!

Moderators: Glenn E., Roy Hersh, Andy Velebil

Andy Velebil
Location: Los Angeles, California, United States of America - USA

Re: Lots of new faces ... please introduce yourself

Post by Andy Velebil »

J yuen wrote:HAHA... i'm actually looking forward to reading everyone else's posts and trying to learn and experience as much as i can... hope people don't get too annoyed with my newbie questions...

THANKS!
Never, ask away :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Andy Velebil Good wine is a good familiar creature if it be well used. William Shakespeare http://www.fortheloveofport.com
Roy Hersh
Site Admin

Post by Roy Hersh »

J Yuen,

Welcome to our community and we have lots of Canadian's participating on FTLOP in various ways. In fact, we have had more people from Edmonton on our tours, than any other city in the world!

In the newsletter that was released a week ago, you can find some great prices on exactly what you are looking for in Port wine. However, you'd have to have a friend to help you, that is close to your border and a willingness to do the trips back and forth to bring it back into your Province.

I hope you will enjoy participating here.

Also check out: For The Love Of Port on FB and Instagram.
Ambition driven by passion, rather than money, is as strong an elixir as is Port. http://www.fortheloveofport.com
J yuen

Post by J yuen »

oh man oh man I WOULD LOVE TO PARTICIPATE in the buy op...

I wonder if they would ship to a fedex/ups store and HOLD for PICKUP in the spring....

OR i guess i'll have to make more AMERIFRIENDS.....
Roy Hersh
Site Admin

Post by Roy Hersh »

They will not ship to Canada. The good news is they will hold until this spring in their temp controlled warehouse. That being said, you definitely should seek to make FTLOP friends on the other side of the border, too!
Ambition driven by passion, rather than money, is as strong an elixir as is Port. http://www.fortheloveofport.com
Andy Velebil

Post by Andy Velebil »

J yuen wrote:oh man oh man I WOULD LOVE TO PARTICIPATE in the buy op...

I wonder if they would ship to a fedex/ups store and HOLD for PICKUP in the spring....

OR i guess i'll have to make more AMERIFRIENDS.....
If you come to Los Angeles let me know, we can set up an offline while here :)

Andy Velebil Good wine is a good familiar creature if it be well used. William Shakespeare http://www.fortheloveofport.com
J yuen

Post by J yuen »

hmmm california sun.... when its all snow and ice here?.... thats tempting
Andy Velebil

Post by Andy Velebil »

J yuen wrote:hmmm california sun.... when its all snow and ice here?.... thats tempting
Was 69 degrees today :)

Nate R.

Post by Nate R. »

Hello everyone,

I'm a new subscriber to FTLOP, and looking forward to learning and participating in these forums!

I started really getting into port after meeting my wife. She is allergic to dairy, so when having a nice meal out instead of ending with a dessert (usually dairy-laden), she would look to the port-by-the-glass menu. I soon joined her in that practice, and learned over time the styles I liked more or less. A favorite style is tawny, though my favorite single port I've tried is Taylor's 1970 VP. I also have a passion for Madeira.

Cheers! - Nate
Andy Velebil

Post by Andy Velebil »

Nate R. wrote:Hello everyone,

I'm a new subscriber to FTLOP, and looking forward to learning and participating in these forums!

I started really getting into port after meeting my wife. She is allergic to dairy, so when having a nice meal out instead of ending with a dessert (usually dairy-laden), she would look to the port-by-the-glass menu. I soon joined her in that practice, and learned over time the styles I liked more or less. A favorite style is tawny, though my favorite single port I've tried is Taylor's 1970 VP. I also have a passion for Madeira.

Cheers! - Nate
Hi Nate

[welcome.gif] to the Forum and thank you for the introduction. Look forward to reading your posts and as you've found 1970 Taylor's is a beauty!
Eric Menchen

Post by Eric Menchen »

Welcome Nate. The origin of my fondness for Port has at least some similarity to yours. I don't drink coffee or tea, but often found myself at the end of meal at a table with others that did. So I ordered dessert wines instead, and found them to be to my liking.
Glenn E.
Location: Sammamish, Washington, United States of America - USA

Post by Glenn E. »

Hi Nate, welcome!

[welcome.gif]
Glenn Elliott
Roy Hersh
Site Admin

Post by Roy Hersh »

Nate,

Great choice in your favorite Port. I named my daughter after that specific bottling, Taylor 1970 ... one I have had a few dozen times and is one of the greats from a brilliant vintage.

Thanks for the introduction and [welcome.gif] to our hangout place!
Markus A

Post by Markus A »

Hi everybody,

I am 32 years old and I live in Finland. I have been a wine enthusiast for almost 10 years now. I have also been hooked on dessert wines from the start, though for some reason I haven't gotten that much into port. So time to change that since I do like them and especially after a recent tasting of Churchill's port with John Graham I decided I have to buy more port for my cellar. I have tasted some tawnies and LBVs but only a few VP (oldest was La Martiniquaise Cruz VP 1989 which was cheap here compared to other VPs around same age). The most recent port I tasted was Quinta do Noval Colheita 2000 during easter. I don't have a favorite port yet but I guess my taste is leaning a bit on the ruby side.

I found this site about a week ago when I was searching for advice on port producers and vintages. Been reading the forum since and now decided to join because I do need some advice (particularly about which online stores have been proven to be good but I'll probably start a new thread for that).

So I am looking forward to learning more about port and being part of this awesome community. :-)

Regards,
Markus
Glenn E.
Location: Sammamish, Washington, United States of America - USA

Post by Glenn E. »

Hi Markus! Welcome!

[welcome.gif]

Don't be shy about questions... there are a lot of extremely knowledgeable people here on FTLOP and we love sharing our passion for Port!
Glenn Elliott
Eric Menchen

Post by Eric Menchen »

Welcome Markus! [welcome.gif]

I know there are a number of forum members from Finland, so I hope they can give you some advice on finding a good selection of Port close by, or sources that can ship. I was just in Finland and while the selection at the Alko stores in Nuorgam and Muonio was limited, I did find that the prices weren't too unreasonable. I wish you luck!
Andy Velebil

Post by Andy Velebil »

Hi Markus,

[welcome.gif] to the Forum!
Markus A

Post by Markus A »

Thanks for the warm welcome!

Good to know I am not the only one from Finland. The prices at Alko may be reasonable sometimes but usually they are not. The selection is also quite limited, especially if you want older vintages. So we just need to order from somewhere else.

Yeah the selection in Nuorgam and Muonio probably isn't the best possible. I haven't been in the north for many years. Mostly because I don't like the cold. :-)
Roy Hersh
Site Admin

Post by Roy Hersh »

Hi Markus,

Please do not be shy about asking questions on anything you want to know. You have come to the right place. We like having friends who are new to Port as much as the more advanced Port aficionados that frequent the place. I hope to get to your country one of these years. We've had lots of participation from Finland's Port lovers. On our FB page too!

[welcome.gif]

Best regards,

Roy
Albert Bouffard

Post by Albert Bouffard »

Hi there Roy,

I came upon your site while researching an old port I'm thinking about buying. What a great resource! I am fairly deep into old Bordeaux but don't know much about port, though I love it. I am certainly looking forward to learning more!

I post on cellartracker and instagram as englishman's claret and englishmans_claret, respectively.

Warm regards,
M Albert Bouffard
Andy Velebil

Post by Andy Velebil »

Welcome to the forum!