June/July 2017 VT: Any White Port

This forum is designed to help facilitate virtual tastings.

Moderators: Glenn E., Roy Hersh, Andy Velebil

Thomas V

June/July 2017 VT: Any White Port

Post by Thomas V »

We are well into June, so I combined this months VT with July as well to give people a fair chance to crack something open and report back here.

With summer upon us and temperatures in Porto climbing well above 37 Celsius (and around the globe), what theme could be more appropriate than WHITE PORT! Though some forumnites claim that it can be too hot to drink port, we must make it our quest to prove them wrong and silence them forever.
Thomas V

Re: June/July 2017 VT: Any White Port

Post by Thomas V »

I'm currently sipping on a 2007 Maynard's White Colheita.... TN to follow... [cheers.gif]
John M.

Post by John M. »

That sounds great---and I just got a 2002 Kopke White!
Any Port in a storm!
Thomas V

Post by Thomas V »

John M. wrote:That sounds great---and I just got a 2002 Kopke White!
There you go. I didn't even know that one existed? I've tried the 2003 and 2005 and very much prefer the 2003.

I have a small white colheita tasting with some friends next week ( as my best friend really enjoys whites; I've put this together)

2003 Maynard's White
2004 Maynard's White
2007 Maynard's White
2003 Kopke White

A few white still wines including a Quinta de Linhares Avesso 2016 and perhaps a Cava/Champagne or 2 [friends.gif]
Bradley Bogdan

Post by Bradley Bogdan »

Just cracked a very solid Warre Fine White Port. Wonderful value pour and mixer.

http://www.fortheloveofport.com/ftlopfo ... 12&t=40456
-Brad

Andy Velebil
Location: Los Angeles, California, United States of America - USA

Post by Andy Velebil »

I had an 1884 and 1964 Ramos Pinto white (cask sample) yesterday. Will post a note shortly.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Andy Velebil Good wine is a good familiar creature if it be well used. William Shakespeare http://www.fortheloveofport.com
Eric Menchen

Post by Eric Menchen »

I opened a 2005 Kopke White Colheita earlier this month. It was quite nice, but no note--sorry.

Sent from my XT1060 using Tapatalk
Glenn E.
Location: Sammamish, Washington, United States of America - USA

Post by Glenn E. »

I opened a 1964 Krohn Colheita Branco. This was one of a half dozen bottles that I purchased back in 2008 or 2009 to have as birthday Ports, so I ration them carefully. They're starting to get a little old in the bottle, though, so the 2007 and 2008 bottlings should probably be on your "drink up" list.
Glenn Elliott
Andy Velebil

1964 Ramos Pinto Branco Colheita Port

Post by Andy Velebil »

Cask Sample. A medium tea color with some V.A. and a slightly soapy nose. The palate was soft bodied with plenty of toffee, some pronounced citrus, honeydew, and a long lingering finish. This was a wonderful Tawny and held it's own even coming on the heels of just tasting the 1884 Branco Lagrima cask sample.
92-93 points.
Andy Velebil Good wine is a good familiar creature if it be well used. William Shakespeare http://www.fortheloveofport.com
John M.

Post by John M. »

Just had a 2002 Kopke White Colheita yesterday. TN here: http://www.fortheloveofport.com/ftlopfo ... 12&t=40470

Just perfect for late on a hot summer day. I just love the Kopke Tawny style--they make such great ones and I love their semi-squat bottles with stencil painted lettering--there is something visually pleasing about this old school look that to me enhances the experience. Also, for a 15 year old tawny with a T-cork I was not expecting such a heavy and significant waxing. Took a few minutes to clear that off.
Any Port in a storm!
Thomas V

Post by Thomas V »

From a white colheita tasting this past Sunday. The 2003 Kopke blew out the competition.

2003 Maynard's White Colheita

2004 Maynard's White Colheita

2007 Maynard's White Colheita

2003 Kopke White Colheita
Andy Velebil

Post by Andy Velebil »

Thomas V wrote:From a white colheita tasting this past Sunday. The 2003 Kopke blew out the competition.

The Kopke is a really nice young Colheita. Glad you liked it. Have you had it before?
Thomas V

Post by Thomas V »

Andy Velebil wrote:
Thomas V wrote:From a white colheita tasting this past Sunday. The 2003 Kopke blew out the competition.

The Kopke is a really nice young Colheita. Glad you liked it. Have you had it before?
Absolutely. This is my 5th or 6th time tasting it. I luckily still own 5 bottles of this for future use. In a world of Golden Whites from Dalva and such this is just a really nice white port, that has a very elegant and feminine style that is very appealing to me while being very fair priced. I dig it quite a lot.
Scheiny S

Post by Scheiny S »

fantastic. i did a tasting of Whites a few weeks ago and haven't gotten around to posting our notes and i only just checked the VT. we had Quevedo, Warre's, and Fonseca Sirocco. i'm going out of town and off grid for a few weeks so i'll post them when we get back, but i'll say that we thought Quevedo and Warre's were very, very similar.
Warre's was the WotN but Quevedo being a few bucks cheaper makes it my go-to.
Al B.

Post by Al B. »

Does White Port 'n' Tonic count? I've been experimenting with Taylor Chip Dry and a whole range of different tonics and mints. So far my experiments have revealed:
(I) I prefer mint in my P&T rather than lemon, lime or orange (although orange is pretty darn good)
(2) I prefer applemint over peppermint or spearmint
(3) I prefer my mint "clapped" to crushed or torn
(4) My favourite tonic is made by Fentimans with Fevertree a close second
(5) My wife prefers Fevertree Tonic With Elderflower for her P&T
(6) I prefer lots and lots of ice in the glass

I did start the experiment in June, so it counts towards the VT theme — I hope.
Thomas V

Post by Thomas V »

Al B. wrote:Does White Port 'n' Tonic count? I've been experimenting with Taylor Chip Dry and a whole range of different tonics and mints. So far my experiments have revealed:
(I) I prefer mint in my P&T rather than lemon, lime or orange (although orange is pretty darn good)
(2) I prefer applemint over peppermint or spearmint
(3) I prefer my mint "clapped" to crushed or torn
(4) My favourite tonic is made by Fentimans with Fevertree a close second
(5) My wife prefers Fevertree Tonic With Elderflower for her P&T
(6) I prefer lots and lots of ice in the glass

I did start the experiment in June, so it counts towards the VT theme — I hope.
It sure does Al.

Very cool input. Haven't done much with Port Tonic myself, but also the summer has been very poor in Denmark this year. Mostly rain :roll:

Perhaps since you were the last to post inhere, you would make a new thread for August & September with your preferred theme of choice?

I will also need to make add these whites to this thread with my notes.

10YO Santa Eufemia
Seara d'Ordens Fine White
2007 Dalva White Colheita