What is your TOP Madeira consumed in the first 1/2 of 2017?

This forum is for discussing all things Madeira - vintages, recommendations, tasting notes, etc.

Moderators: Glenn E., Roy Hersh, Andy Velebil

Roy Hersh
Site Admin

What is your TOP Madeira consumed in the first 1/2 of 2017?

Post by Roy Hersh »

I think this will be an easy one for a change this year. Having tasted nearly 160 Madeiras so far in 2017, I will review notes to come up with a solid answer. What about you?
Ambition driven by passion, rather than money, is as strong an elixir as is Port. http://www.fortheloveofport.com
Roy Hersh
Site Admin

Re: What is your TOP Madeira consumed in the first 1/2 of 2017?

Post by Roy Hersh »

Nobody has an opinion? [shrug.gif]
Ambition driven by passion, rather than money, is as strong an elixir as is Port. http://www.fortheloveofport.com
Marc R

Post by Marc R »

Roy,
you're a solid 153ish ahead of me this year. However, my favorite so far is the 1905 D'Oliveira Verdelho that I've been working my way through over the past month. Between the acid and the finish, it's been tough to put down. Bottom's Up...
Roy Hersh
Site Admin

Post by Roy Hersh »

You are right here in Lakewood and have not been in touch, Marc; what is up with that?

That 1905 is such a beauty!
Marc R

Post by Marc R »

Roy,
I'm actually living down in the Bay Area now (likely, for the next couple of years). Hopefully, we'll get you down this way in the near future.
Roy Hersh
Site Admin

Post by Roy Hersh »

One that I have had twice recently, once at the source in May and a bottle I opened in July. 1875 D'Oliveiras Malvasia ... both times were fantastic!
Eric Ifune

Post by Eric Ifune »

I'm going to agree with Roy on that 1875 D'Oliveiras Malvasia. This was the best showing I've had.
Gary Banker
Location: Shirley, Massachusetts, United States of America - USA

Post by Gary Banker »

1908 D'Oliveira's boal
Glenn E.
Location: Sammamish, Washington, United States of America - USA

Post by Glenn E. »

1895 Araujo de Barros Verdelho, 94 points

I tasted this blind at Roy's and was able to correctly identify it as a Madeira from the 90's. Okay the Madeira part was fairly obvious so that's not really an accomplishment, and unfortunately I meant the 1990s, not the 1890s. Whoops! It was brilliantly clean and pure. I couldn't identify the grape, and was surprised to find out it was a Verdelho as it didn't seem that dry to me. I suspected either Boal or Terrantez, but what do I know? A very, very pleasant and easy-to-drink Madeira.

I suppose technically I should be listing the 1900 D'Oliveiras Malvazia Family Reserve because I did take a small sip of it out of the bottle I have open on my small fridge, but that seems like cheating as it'll probably get sipped like that every 6 months or so for the next 4-6 years. ;)
Glenn Elliott