Graham's LBV?

This forum is for discussing all things Port (as in from PORTugal) - vintages, recommendations, tasting notes, etc.

Moderators: Glenn E., Roy Hersh, Andy Velebil

Bert VD

Graham's LBV?

Post by Bert VD »

I've seen Graham's LBV 2011 in a local supermarket (for about 15 euro).

but there is no tasting note about this port in the database. and almost none from any recent vintages.
any info on the Graham LBV's? are they top quality like their vintages? comparable in style to any other brands?

the bottle doesn't mention if it is filtered or not but i guess it is. i will probably get it anyway for that price [cheers.gif]
Jasper A.

Re: Graham's LBV?

Post by Jasper A. »

You should get it for that price. It is a decent LBV, not the best but still realy nice. When i checked my notes i saw that i gave the Graham's LBV 2011 90 points.
Andy Velebil
Location: Los Angeles, California, United States of America - USA

Post by Andy Velebil »

I had some on the plane ride home from Portugal this year. Lufthansa Business had it by the 1/2 bottle. It's very nice and full of young fruit and some moderate tannins. Nothing out of this world, but a perfectly good daily LBV to drink in the nearer term. Sorry by the ride home I was done taking notes and just enjoyed it.
Andy Velebil Good wine is a good familiar creature if it be well used. William Shakespeare http://www.fortheloveofport.com
John M.

Post by John M. »

I, too, find Graham's LBVs middle of the road. Good, enjoyable but by now means in the top class. I have a single 2011 in my cellar.
Any Port in a storm!
Thomas V

Post by Thomas V »

I've tried it too and find it mediocre.

I'd prefer Quevedo, DR, Fonseca, Crasto, Niepoort or Ferreira ahead of it by quite a lot . If those are available to you I would go with any of those.
John M.

Post by John M. »

Thomas V wrote:I've tried it too and find it mediocre.

I'd prefer Quevedo, DR, Fonseca, Crasto, Niepoort or Ferreira ahead of it by quite a lot . If those are available to you I would go with any of those.
I concur on the Quevedo, Crasto & Niepoort. Have never had a DR. Had one Ferreira and a middle grade so not enough evidence. Fonseca I find middle of the road. I would add Warre's and Smith Woodhouse as top level.
Any Port in a storm!
Moses Botbol

Post by Moses Botbol »

Grahams may be my least favorite Symington LBV.
Welsh Corgis | F1 |British Cars
Bert VD

Post by Bert VD »

thanks everyone :-)
Roy Hersh
Site Admin

Post by Roy Hersh »

Bert,

Didi you see the article on 2011 LBV's in the newsletter?
Ambition driven by passion, rather than money, is as strong an elixir as is Port. http://www.fortheloveofport.com
Bert VD

Post by Bert VD »

you made me remember i didn't read the newsletter as i didn't have time for it when it came out. so i just went back to it and read the article. thanks! :-)