TNR:1977 Gould Campbell Vintage Port

This forum is for users to post their Port tasting notes.

Moderators: Glenn E., Andy Velebil

Andy Velebil
Location: Los Angeles, California, United States of America - USA

TNR:1977 Gould Campbell Vintage Port

Post by Andy Velebil »

What do you guys recommend as a decant time for this, as I am planning on starting to drink it about 5:30pm tomorrow?

Keeping fingers crossed it isn't corked like Derek and Alex's bottles.

Thanks
Last edited by Andy Velebil on Mon Nov 05, 2007 4:28 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Andy Velebil Good wine is a good familiar creature if it be well used. William Shakespeare http://www.fortheloveofport.com
Julian D. A. Wiseman

Gould Campbell 1977? Between 2½ and 3 hours.

Post by Julian D. A. Wiseman »

Gould Campbell 1977? Between 2½ and 3 hours would be my choice.
Tom Archer

Post by Tom Archer »

Gould Campbell 1977? Between 2½ and 3 hours would be my choice
Ow - No!!

It'll be rough and lack composure at that time -

The 77's need time to show their best - at least 24hrs IMHO

Tom
Ronald Wortel

Post by Ronald Wortel »

When I tried it about 2-3 years ago, it showed much better the second day, so I'll second the advice for long decanting time.
Andy Velebil

Post by Andy Velebil »

OK, thanks guys...post a note on it later
Andy Velebil Good wine is a good familiar creature if it be well used. William Shakespeare http://www.fortheloveofport.com
Andy Velebil

Post by Andy Velebil »

Here is my notes. Had it last night with FTLOP'er Frank Tota. We meet some others from the Parker forum for dinner (here is the link for the other dry wines if your interested http://dat.erobertparker.com/bboard/sho ... ost1510863

We dove back into the ’77 Gould Campbell. By now it had been decanted about 16 hours and was showing it’s best. Very nice nose of plums and cherry, with prunes and a touch of vanilla on the palate. The heat had blown off leaving a nice and silky palate with a medium/long finish. There is still a little bit of tannins on this and I feel it could still improve for another 5+ years no problem. A great QPR from 1977, 92 points.
Frank T

Post by Frank T »

Andy, great port. Thanks so much!

And I had a blast...we need to do that again soon! :D

- Frank
Philip Harvey

Post by Philip Harvey »

Andy,

Believe it or not, I am enjoying a glass of GC77 as I read your note. This is bottle number nine from a case of twelve and I have always been struck by how light the colour of this wine is - it resembles a 10yr old Burgundy in the glass and it is certainly the palest VP that I have come across thus far.

Did your bottle strike you as pale/dark? In addition, each of my bottles thus far has been a slight leaker. Any signs of leakage on yours?

Philip
Andy Velebil

Post by Andy Velebil »

No mine was fairly dark ruby and got slightly darker during the decant. The cork was a bit saturated and it looked like a couple of drops got to the top of the cork. Not sure if that happened during bottling or later. But, there was no signs of any leakage past the tip of the cork (i.e. sides of the capsule, even the sides of the selo guarantee tag was clean).

That said, based on what others have brought up here about corked bottles, your's as a slight leaker, and mine which had a few dried drops on the saturated cork, I will not buy any more unless it is one heck of a deal.
Jay Powers
Location: Pacifica, California, United States of America - USA

Post by Jay Powers »

I also had a 1977 Gould Campbell Friday night with some freinds. Decanted approximately 11 hours before drinking. Cork was in good shape and the fill level was near the bottom of the cork.

The wine was showing really well, almost no heat, smooh and silky but still with the perfect amount of tannins. The overall impression I got was of chocolate. Very nice, 92-94 points and surely in the top quartile of ports I will be likely to have this year. I have 13 more of these and would get more if I can find another deal.

Jay
Philip Harvey

Post by Philip Harvey »

Andy

Each bottle (from this case at least) has been a slight leaker and the corks have been pretty well saturated and a bit crumbly as well. In fact, I have yet to get one out in one piece. Fill levels are well into the neck but perhaps a tad lower than usual.

I'm wondering whether the slight leakage/lower fill levels in all of my bottles thus far has resulted in a bit more air contact which has in turn afftected the maturity and colour profile. Not that I'm complaining. I drank a lot of port from the seventies and eighties last year and this is still my personal favourite from both decades by some margin.

What I need to do now of course is to try some other GC77s from a completely different source and assess the difference. I think one or two bottles wouldn't be a fair comparison - this project will require at least another complete case before I can make a qualified assessment. :D
Gizzyeq
Location: NYC & Japan, New York, United States of America - USA

Post by Gizzyeq »

both bottles I opened which tasted great...the corks were fully saturated and crumbly'ish but no "outward" signs of seepage(stained label,idvp seal etc)