Americans: How do you buy Vintage?

This section is for those who have basics questions about, or are new to, Port. There are no "dumb" questions here - just those wanting to learn more!

Moderators: Glenn E., Roy Hersh, Andy Velebil

Sloan C

Americans: How do you buy Vintage?

Post by Sloan C »

I see a lot of Vintage talk around here. I was wondering how most Americans buy their vintage? I can't really get anything shipped legally as I live in a backwards state with weird laws. Most stores I've been to I can usually maybe find 2 or 3 good tawnys at the most. I've found a few online places that'll ship to me but none have good port. I could risk shipping from overseas, but it's expensive and it could be a gamble as to whether I get it in the end. So how do most Americans get theirs?
I'm asking Americans as I assume most of our European friends can get it at their local wine store, pharmacy, or grocer.
Gary Banker
Location: Shirley, Massachusetts, United States of America - USA

Re: Americans: How do you buy Vintage?

Post by Gary Banker »

For stores in the general area, you could try Marty's (Newton), Gordon's (Waltham), Acton Wine & Spirits, Colonial Spirits (Acton), NH Liquor and Wine outlets (Store 66 in Nashua off Exit 6 from Rte 3).
Andy Velebil
Location: Los Angeles, California, United States of America - USA

Post by Andy Velebil »

Sloan
Moses, who is quite active on this board, could probably help you the most since he lives in your state. Though I do know there is a lot of Portuguese wines available in your state. It may just be finding who has them. I'm sure Moses could help in this regard.
Andy Velebil Good wine is a good familiar creature if it be well used. William Shakespeare http://www.fortheloveofport.com
David Co

Post by David Co »

Might be so bold to suggest the following:
NYC and the surrounding areas have a combined great selection of current and aged vintage port. Save money go on a crazy buying spree and order all of them for pick up. Come down on a Saturday morning and make the rounds to collect all the wines from the various shops. We can plan an offline for that night so you can meet some fellow port lover. Perhaps some of those in attendance may also be able to assist you in your quest for vintage port. Stay over for the night in NY and head home on Sunday.
Glenn E.
Location: Sammamish, Washington, United States of America - USA

Post by Glenn E. »

Andy Velebil wrote:Moses, who is quite active on this board, could probably help you the most since he lives in your state. Though I do know there is a lot of Portuguese wines available in your state. It may just be finding who has them. I'm sure Moses could help in this regard.
+1

Moses is an amazing resource in your area - he knows all the good wine stores and I'm sure he'll be able to help you find some great Port!

Most of us are jealous, because Moses is always able to find Port for a lot cheaper than the rest of us can find it. So there is at least one big advantage to living in Massachusetts.
Glenn Elliott
Moses Botbol

Post by Moses Botbol »

Glenn E. wrote:
Andy Velebil wrote:Moses, who is quite active on this board, could probably help you the most since he lives in your state. Though I do know there is a lot of Portuguese wines available in your state. It may just be finding who has them. I'm sure Moses could help in this regard.
+1

Moses is an amazing resource in your area - he knows all the good wine stores and I'm sure he'll be able to help you find some great Port!

Most of us are jealous, because Moses is always able to find Port for a lot cheaper than the rest of us can find it. So there is at least one big advantage to living in Massachusetts.

How old of a vintage port are you looking to buy? Are you looking for cases or a bottle here-there? Many of the big stores were named earlier. I also like Bin Ends and have scored some great deals on port and madeira over the years. I have found that there are a few NJ/NY online retailers that ship here. If they say they're shipping, I am not asking questions... You can always try the NY auction houses and Skinner in MA has wine auctions. Usually the prices are no deal at all at Skinner, but on occasion they can be (years ago). I would suggest bidding live or you'll get blown out every time (since they start the bidding at the highest bid on hand). One avenue I like is looking up distributors and importers and back trace the tiers to get a good deal. Many liquor stores will sell wine on a shoestring budget if you pay upfront and they order it. It's basically free money to them with no risk. I am always checking bins everywhere I go.

A Glenn & Andy mentioned, our forte in the Bay State is Portuguese dry wines. There are many small importers of everything Portugal in the state and a great selection. Heck, in my town of Framingham, the store signs are in Portuguese and they speak Portuguese first to me at most cash registers... How many US locales have supermarkets with Serra cheese? To be fair, the Portuguese in Framingham is due to the large Brazilian population, they are pretty loyal to Portuguese wines and cooking FWIW in addition to own tasty cuisine.

MA is always going to have great prices due to no sales tax on liquor. Problem with finding older vintages is most have been gobbled up and I do not pay much attention to what newer vintages sell for. $75 for 1985 or 2011 Graham; I am taking the 85.

My best deals have been from private party. I meet people in different wine circles or events and have been able to buy some of their inventory and have also scored big deals on craigslist. One time I was buying cases of '94 Warre vintage for like $25 a bottle; for instance.
Welsh Corgis | F1 |British Cars
Sloan C

Post by Sloan C »

Wow.. this is great info. Thanks so much.
I'm mostly looking to pick up a few loose bottles a year. So I'll start checking out Moses' recommendations. The exception is 2014. For certain commemorative reasons I'd like to get a case for long term.

Thanks again.
Eric Menchen

Post by Eric Menchen »

Sloan C wrote:The exception is 2014. For certain commemorative reasons I'd like to get a case for long term.
So that might be worthy of a road trip, and you can pick up some other things along the way. I've bought from most of the NYC auction houses, and a good number of the NJ stores. They ship to me, but you can pick up (which probably means paying tax which you need to figure into the equation). wine-searcher.com is a good resource.
Moses Botbol

Post by Moses Botbol »

Marty's is having a pretty strong Kopke buy with Colheitas going back to 1940. Will be worth buying a few and I may grab some actually. I would assume these will all be recent bottlings. The pre-buy ends Oct 9th.
Sloan C

Post by Sloan C »

Moses Botbol wrote:Marty's is having a pretty strong Kopke buy with Colheitas going back to 1940. Will be worth buying a few and I may grab some actually. I would assume these will all be recent bottlings. The pre-buy ends Oct 9th.
Thanks, I'll check it out.
Mike K.

Post by Mike K. »

Sloan C wrote:
Moses Botbol wrote:Marty's is having a pretty strong Kopke buy with Colheitas going back to 1940. Will be worth buying a few and I may grab some actually. I would assume these will all be recent bottlings. The pre-buy ends Oct 9th.
FYI - Julio's in Westborough is running a very similar offer this week as well.
Moses Botbol

Post by Moses Botbol »

Mike K. wrote:
Sloan C wrote:
FYI - Julio's in Westborough is running a very similar offer this week as well.
When will Gordon's put their hat into the mix? Juilio's as least has them on site according to their website.
Mike K.

Post by Mike K. »

Moses Botbol wrote: When will Gordon's put their hat into the mix? Juilio's as least has them on site according to their website.
Good question on Gordon's.

Julio's order page does indeed imply in-stock.
Their email though states it is a pre-order with the wines arriving early November.
Glenn E.

Post by Glenn E. »

Moses Botbol wrote:I would assume these will all be recent bottlings.
Some are very recent. Sounds like the 1937 isn't available in this particular offer, but just as an example the latest bottling of it was April 12th. (Stefano read it off the dot matrix printing around the capsule when I bought one.)

My guess would be that if these are "fresh" bottles recently acquired from the distributor, that they'll all be 2013 or later bottlings. I know they did a lot of different Colheitas in '13, '14, and '15, plus several at the start of '17. No telling on anything that's been in the store for a while, though.
Glenn Elliott
Eric Menchen

Post by Eric Menchen »

Glenn E. wrote:Some are very recent. Sounds like the 1937 isn't available in this particular offer, but just as an example the latest bottling of it was April 12th. (Stefano read it off the dot matrix printing around the capsule when I bought one.)
Yes--new trick I learned visiting there last week. The date is encoded in the printing on the capsule, with a year and then then number of the day since the beginning of the year (so not month-day or day-month, but February 1st is 32).
Gary Banker
Location: Shirley, Massachusetts, United States of America - USA

Post by Gary Banker »

Glenn E. wrote:
Moses Botbol wrote:I would assume these will all be recent bottlings.
Some are very recent. Sounds like the 1937 isn't available in this particular offer, but just as an example the latest bottling of it was April 12th. (Stefano read it off the dot matrix printing around the capsule when I bought one.)

My guess would be that if these are "fresh" bottles recently acquired from the distributor, that they'll all be 2013 or later bottlings. I know they did a lot of different Colheitas in '13, '14, and '15, plus several at the start of '17. No telling on anything that's been in the store for a while, though.
The 1937 is listed on page three for $981 per 375ml
Eric Menchen

Post by Eric Menchen »

Gary Banker wrote:The 1937 is listed on page three for $981 per 375ml
Ouch. Let's just say that a FTLOP newsletter subscription can pay for itself pretty easily, and going on a tour with Roy presents good opportunities as well.
Mike K.

Post by Mike K. »

I bought a few bottles last year when these stores had a similar offering. They are all pre-order, none are currently at the retailer. Last year they were all 2016 bottlings.
Glenn E.

Post by Glenn E. »

Eric Menchen wrote:
Gary Banker wrote:The 1937 is listed on page three for $981 per 375ml
Ouch. Let's just say that a FTLOP newsletter subscription can pay for itself pretty easily, and going on a tour with Roy presents good opportunities as well.
+1!

Or should that be +2 since I've been on 2 tours? [cheers.gif]
Glenn Elliott
Moses Botbol

Post by Moses Botbol »

Blanchards has/had some Barros Coleitas at very convincing prices. I no longer live in Brighton, so haven't stopped by there in a while.